Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Intuitive Eating as a lifestyle

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2007 at 4:43 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 1871 Total Views
Welcome to our Intuitive Eating support group.  We promote non-dieting, gentle nutrition, fun and integral exercise and gradual weight loss while healing self esteem issues.  This means:

None of us here are dieting.  We are eating whatever we want in whatever quantities we want.  We realize that dieting does not work.  If it did, people would go on one diet, succeed, and never look back.  Diets have failed us reeatedly, and we know deprivation is not the way!

We eat what we want, but we listen to our body and it's cravings to know what it needs.  Most of us have eaten nothing but sweets and junk the first few weeks on this program, but then realized that we REALLY craved a salad, fruit and some whole grains after a while.  This is gentle nutrition!  Eat what your body tells you it needs!

We don't go to a gym unless we really enjoy it.  Our exercise is something we integrate into our day and don't stress about.  Try taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking the car further away, or walking to a nearby errand instead of driving.  Do you like to dance?  Then take a dance class!  Is swimming your thing?  Go to the pool!  We don't time our workouts, take our pulses or deprive ourselves of food before or after a workout for fear of "undoing" all the work we just did.  We know that a body in motion needs fuel to stay in motion!  We do what feels good and keep doing it because it makes us feel better!

We realize that many of our bad eating habits come from emotional issues that need to be addressed and healed.  Do you eat out of stress, happiness, sadness, grief or discomfort in your skin?  We've all done it and we're all here to talk about it together so we can get over it!

It really helps if you have read the book Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch.  It will be hard to try to teach all the principles of this way of living without it, but you are welcome to try if you would like to be a part of this group without buying the book.

Be kind to one another on this forum!  We are all delicate souls who want to heal and better ourselves and have chosen to gather here for support.
by on Nov. 21, 2007 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
HavenWood
by on Dec. 29, 2007 at 9:37 PM
Wow, this group sounds like it is right up my alley.  I have struggled with a sugar addiction for years, and have made the decision that this is the year I break it.

I am a very intuitive person, and over the past few years I have been becoming keenly aware of the foods my body wants me to eat, and not eat.  The problem is, I usually don't listen.  But that is about to change.  I hope this group can help me with that.

I do realize that many of my bad eating habits come from emotional issues that need to be addressed and healed.  I do eat out of stress, happiness, sadness, grief or discomfort in my skin?  I know I am an emotional eater, and I have major food issues.

I am not overweight, but I am not healthy either.  I struggle with acne, stomach discomfort, allergies, sinus trouble and fatigue.  Intuitively I know these are food related.

I will be buying the book shortly.  I have decided that 2008 is the year of my health!
jacksmeme
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2010 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm working on Honorig My Hunger. Last night as I went to bed I felt hungry. My first thought was, "You should not be hungry". I stopped myself and turned it around to "Why is my tummy rumbling?"  I went through my day- I aggravated my herniated disc, so I was fighting pain all day. It was harder to move and took more energy. So, of course I was hungry. The hunger was appropriate. I'm proud of myself for turning it around.  Taking a little time to think things through is really a great thing to do. angel mini

Have a great day all!

satnamamama
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Beautiful! I am so grateful I tapped into this forum. I have been practicing an intuitive eating life style for about four years now. I haven't read the book again in a little while. It's been calling me lately to refresh on some of the compassionate and gentle principles that go along with it. I've been experiencing feelings of happiness, groundedness and centeredness from within. I got together with a mommy friend and her one and a half year old  yesterday. It felt really great to connect. I often initially hesitate when it comes to building more intimate connections with others in fear of rejection or in fear of loosing myself or getting myself into relations with others that I end up not wanting to nurture. All boundary stuff. I don't spend to much time trying to analyze things anymore. I like to seek the innate wisdom of my intuitive sense as much as possible or as much as I remember to in all my affairs. Intuitive Being has really taken the edge off of a lot of doubt, indecisiveness and insecurity that used to cause mega discomfort and feelings of aloneness and self defeat. Being on the intuitive eating path and all that vibrates behind it and from within it has been so healing and such a relief to come back to over and over again if I step into a zone of forgetfulness for a moment.

Today my daughter and I had so much fun sharing joy and dancing with other beautiful people at a yoga class. Afterwards we spontaneously went to the local healthfood store where I often enjoy receiving yummy nourishment for lunch. I got to connect with some good vibrations over there too.

I realize that I had been placing some pressure on myself which was showing up in the way that I approached my plate. Expectations were picking up speed in my miind and I noticed that the frequency around it was becoming somewhat militant and of a bullying nature. As soon as the awareness showed face, I realized that I was the one holding myself hostage to these expectations and that I could drop them instantly! A surge of joy and expansion began to upwell from inside. I feel so much more relaxed and balanced, which always seems to align with and create a more effortless and impactful experience in the intuitive realm and with all my relations.

Long message! Wow!

I wish everyone the best day ever!!!!!

Satnamamama

Kindly,

Willow

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)