Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just beginning on this journey

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2008 at 2:51 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 606 Total Views

Hi Everyone, I just discovered the book "thin within" which seems good, but then when I was at the book store today I found "Intuitive Eating". Since I am a Registered Dietitian, I was pretty curious about it. It seems like it follows a lot of the "thin Within" princilples with some leaning towards choosing healthy food. I googled intuitive eating and found this group. So I joined up! I need to lose close to 20lbs of post baby weight. I added 5 pounds with each of my pregnancies and here I am an overweight dietitian, stay at home mom of 3 kids. I have not been a chronic dieter b/c I never used to have a weight problem, but I do have self-esteem body image issues. Does anyone know if this method would work for someone who only needs to lose 20lbs?

by on Oct. 17, 2008 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
anniekelleher
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2008 at 5:25 PM

i found this book to be wonderfully helpful -  not necessarily as a diet in the sense that it helps you to lose weight, but a wonderful approach to getting in touch with your real nutritional needs. 

...read my blog! .....http://anniekelleher.blogspot.com

Angela_P71
by Member on Oct. 18, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Intuitive Eating is NOT about losing weight. It is about choosing foods and eating experiences that nurture our bodies and souls. It's about learning to move our bodies for the enjoyment of the movement without obsessing about how many calories we are burning or "punishing" ourselves for previous eating.

Intuitive Eating is very much about learning to love our bodies and embrace good health at our current size. Trying to change our weight A) does NOT work in the long-term, and B) can CREATE a variety of health problems. Think about this: Would any doctor prescribe a treatment regimen that has a 90-98% long-term failure rate and that in most cases results in the patient having more severe rebound symptoms?

Here is another thought: People with fair skin and red hair are considered at higher risk for melanoma. Would a doctor prescribe to a person to dye their hair & get a tan so that they will not fall into this category? The underlying condition would remain, and attempting to change their outward appearance would expose them to the very danger they are trying to avoid.

People who naturally tend toward higher weights may have certain health risk factors. Those factors may be alleviated by pursuing ongoing reasonable exercise and by eating nutritiously. Weight loss does not change those people's bodies' tendency to gain weight easily/lose slowly. Weight fluctuation can result in health problems than vastly outweight the benefits of pursuing fitness without focusing on weight loss.

When we stop trying to change our size and really focus on tuning into our bodies' needs, we will eventually stabilize at our bodies' natural size/weight. That weight cannot be determined by a table or a calculation.

I recommend the Association for Size Diversity And Health (ASDAH) and the principles of Health At Every Size, both of which are easily found through an internet search engine. My nutritionist (who I see about once a month) is a big proponent of HAES, and I wish there were more out there like her.

Just putting in my $0.02

Blessings,

- Angela P.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)