Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tornado Sirens???

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 2:57 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 225 Total Views

HI!  I live in Mansfield.  We have only lived in DFW for a few years and I am a little confused.  Can anyone explain the tornado alarms to me?  The last bad storm that came through (about 2 weeks ago) was coming straight for us and they were predicting tornadoes and it sounded, so we took shelter.  However, last night it was what I would consider a safe distance from my home (pretty far north of me) and they were sounding.  I am just wondering how the system works. Do they continue to sound as long as you are in danger or do they only sound for a certain time, etc?
Thanks!
Kelly ~ www.workathomeunited.com/kms

by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Dianaiya
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 5:39 PM

i know that the first Wednesday of every month at 12pm, they test the alarms and everything.  i think it's 12 pm, i forgot, i haven't lived in Texas for 2 years.   
Crying 1

they should go off when you're not in danger anymore. 

LindsSharpe
by Member on Apr. 21, 2007 at 1:00 PM
You're lucky that you can hear them.  During the set of bad storms we had about a week ago, a tornado went through our town (Saginaw) and the sirens went off AFTER it had passed. Just as bad is that we can barely hear them when awake and it would never wake us up at night!!  Anyone have suggestions who to write to about this?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)