• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For mom's with 2 or more children

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:59 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 375 Total Views

I am 34 weeks pregnant and trying to make arrangements for after the baby is born.  I have a 17 month old son who is extremely active and busy and my husband wont be able to take very much time off from work to help out (he used all his sick time and vacation time when the ENTIRE family had the h1n1 flu haha).  My mother and my mother in-law have both offered for us to stay with them after the baby is born, but I'm not sure how long to plan on staying.  After my son was born I was able to take care of everything by my self after about a week or two but with a newborn and a toddler I'm not so sure.  I know that I wont be able to lift my son for 6 weeks (or at least not supposed to).  How much time do you think is realistic for me to depend on someone else for help?  I hate the thought of letting anybody wait on me, it makes me feel lazy but I know that I wont really have a choice haha.  Thank you ladies for any replies in advanced!  

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
srose73
by on Apr. 6, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Hi there!

I had my boys 15 months apart, and now that theyre 3 (Morris)and 4 (Desmond), we are 10 weeks along with our next one (baby # 5). Though my girls are older, I dont take away from them by helping me out  (not that I look at anyone different who does get help from older kids, but their schedules dont allow anyway).  I had C sections with both boys, and had the girls in camp for 2 weeks when I had Morris. Their grandma came over to our home for a week, and I had friends/family come over and entertain Desmond for a few hours a day afterwards.

Im not sure how much Id enjoy being at someone elses' home after having a baby, just because its not my/my kids' space. Would they consider making it easier on you/ your son by coming to your home so's you can be in your own bed/space?

Though they say not to lift for 6 weeks, I can tell you that wasnt the case for me. I didnt do anything I wasnt confident to do, but I did drive and pick certian things up (car seat w/baby for doc appt). Im not saying that you should do that, but I think it just depends on what your comfortable doing. I did spend a LOT of time on the ground which made it easier to hang out with Desmond. Let me tell you, Des is pretty active too, I used to call him Captain Caveman as he was pretty animated lol!

The transition was pretty smooth and much easier than what I was thinking it would be. Id say the first 3 weeks was when I needed the most help, and Im the same way, I never ask for anything from people. Good luck! Though Im sure everything will work out well!

KSmommy07
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Thank you so much for your reply!!! Yeah it would be nice if they would come stay with me, but my mother has already made it clear that it would be easier on HER if I were to stay with her so...I'm not going to argue haha.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)