Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some reassurance.. :/

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 8:17 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 934 Total Views
I'm currently pregnant with my fourth child.. it will also be by fourth C-section.. my kids r kinda close in age & thats what I'm nervous about. My first was born 7/2006, second was born 2/2008, & third was born 12/2010. This one is due some time next year.. my Drs appointment is next week so idk my exact due date yet, all I know is the pregnancy test came out positive & I haven't had a period for 8 weeks.. is it physically safe for me to carry another child, I'm scared about having another major surgery.. has anyone else has more then 3 c-sections??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
supermom2them
by Member on Oct. 20, 2011 at 9:43 PM

My c-sections were 3/2006, 4/2008, 6/2010 and due 2/2012 Im 21 weeks 2 days and so far there has been no problems. She looks healthy on ultrasound and have no pain around my incision. Everything should be fine. Good luck.

nickischettino
by Member on Oct. 21, 2011 at 8:58 AM

this will be my fourth my kids were born 11/2006, 11/2007, and 2/2010 this baby is due 12/2011.  I think you should be okay!!  I will be thinking of you!

MeggieLee22
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Why do you post the risks of repeat c-sections on every post in here....this is a support group for women who have c-sections and many of us cannot have them naturally.  I really don't think it's fair to bring up all the things that 'COULD' go wrong.  Things can go wrong with any surgery, yes.  The likelyhood is low if you have good drs and are in good health.

A lot of these statistics are probably due to the fact that most women who have c-sections have other complications....obviously the risk of other complications is going to be higher.

I just think it's rude to be scaring the people who have no other choice.

Roadfamily6now
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

So it's fine to go blindly into a major surgery? Most women can have a safe and successful Vaginal Birth After a Cesarean. Around 90% of women that have had a c-section are canidates for a VBAC. 

Most women are not told about all the risks of c-sections, they are not told that having just ONE c-section can impact their future fertility, their future pregnancies let alone what multiple c-sections can do.

You think it's rude to post facts and truth? I think it's irresponsbile to keep telling people that c-sections are fine. The original posters specifially asked if having a 4th c-section was safe and if this pregnancy was safe. I gave her information because obviously her care providers were not giving her good or accurate information. Sometimes the truth can be scary.

The Group owner, who is a friend of mine, also happens to be the Publications Director for ICAN (international cesarean awareness network) which promotes Education about c-sections and VBACs. 

Quoting MeggieLee22:

Why do you post the risks of repeat c-sections on every post in here....this is a support group for women who have c-sections and many of us cannot have them naturally.  I really don't think it's fair to bring up all the things that 'COULD' go wrong.  Things can go wrong with any surgery, yes.  The likelyhood is low if you have good drs and are in good health.

A lot of these statistics are probably due to the fact that most women who have c-sections have other complications....obviously the risk of other complications is going to be higher.

Tammy ~ Wife, Mommy, and Surrogate 

1994 c-section breech 7lbs 12oz ~ 38w4d

1995 VBAC 7lbs 13oz ~ 41 weeks

2000 VBAC 7lbs 15oz ~ 40w5d

2002 VBAC 8lbs 14oz ~ 40w4d

2005 VBAC 10lbs 4oz ~ 40w3d

2007 UBAC 10lbs 2oz ~ 39w4d

2008 C-section 7lbs -39w3d

MeggieLee22
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

So it's fine to go blindly into a major surgery? Most women can have a safe and successful Vaginal Birth After a Cesarean. Around 90% of women that have had a c-section are canidates for a VBAC. 

Most women are not told about all the risks of c-sections, they are not told that having just ONE c-section can impact their future fertility, their future pregnancies let alone what multiple c-sections can do.

You think it's rude to post facts and truth? I think it's irresponsbile to keep telling people that c-sections are fine. The original posters specifially asked if having a 4th c-section was safe and if this pregnancy was safe. I gave her information because obviously her care providers were not giving her good or accurate information. Sometimes the truth can be scary.

The Group owner, who is a friend of mine, also happens to be the Publications Director for ICAN (international cesarean awareness network) which promotes Education about c-sections and VBACs. 

Quoting MeggieLee22:

I never said to go into it blindly.  I don't know where you get your stats, and I know some women opt for c-section just for the convenience...I don't understand that but whatever, it's their bodies.  But for some of us VBAC is NOT possible, and vaginal birth at all is not possible.

Getting a c-section is scary enough, I don't think anyone that HAS to have one enters into it without worries.  But being slammed in the face with OMG HORRIBLE COMPLICATIONS repeatedly just seems insensitive.

Why don't you find some stats about maternal death and complications before c-sections were an available option.  I bet they'd be pretty high.

If you read my post I specifically stated that some people simply DO NOT have another option.  This is a c-section support group.  There is a VBAC support group as well, go ahead and post about complications from repeat c-sections there.  Or to people who are choosing c-sections just because it's easier or faster, not to people who don't have the option.

EDIT:  Only the first one that I found.

Risks of VBAC

The risks of VBAC include:

• Problems during labor that result in a cesarean delivery. This occurs with about 20 to 40 out of 100 women who try VBAC.
  • Rupture of the scar on the uterus, which is rare but can be deadly to the mother and baby. A vertical incision used in a past C-section, use of certain medicines to start (induce) labor, and many scars on the uterus from past C-sections or other surgeries are some of the things that can increase the chance of a rupture.
  • The chance of infection. Women who have a trial of labor and end up having a C-section have a higher risk of infection. This means that the risk of infection is lower after vaginal births and after planned cesareans

"A three year old child is a being who gets almost as much fun out of a fifty-six dollar set of swings as it does out of finding a small green worm."  - Bill Vaughan

MeggieLee22
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Here's another

If your uterus ruptures, an emergency C-section is needed to prevent life-threatening complications, including heavy bleeding and infection for the mother and brain damage for the baby. In some cases, the uterus may need to be removed (hysterectomy) to stop the bleeding. If your uterus is removed, you won't be able to get pregnant again.

So VBACs can lead to infection, bleeding, hysterectomy, and such as much as repeat sections.

"A three year old child is a being who gets almost as much fun out of a fifty-six dollar set of swings as it does out of finding a small green worm."  - Bill Vaughan

Roadfamily6now
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM

You're stating risks for any and all vaginal births, not specifically related to just VBACs alone.

Facts are C-sections carry a higher risk over all, and I don't think I ever said that some c-sections are not needed. It's a well known fact that 10% - 15% c-section rate is optimal for saving lives of both mothers and babies. Therefore, it stands to reason that 10% - 15% of women will require a c-section.

The current Cesarean rate in the USA is 34%. According to the WHO (world health organization) that means over 60% of all the c-section preformed in the US are not needed. That is a lot of women and babies that are being exposed to unnecessary risks.

I've been studying Maternal Health care for years. C-sections did not save lives alone. The discovery of germs (Dr. Semmelwies 1847) and how to wash your hands saved more lives then c-sections ever will. 

The United States currently sits at #42 in the safest countries to give birth in. We spend more on health care then any other nation on the planet and yet more Mothers and Babies are dieing here then in Croatia. Why is that? Could one reason be that  our C-section rate is too high?

I encourage you to seek out more of my posts here in this group. I am very supportive of a women's right to choose but I want them to make a fully informed choice. 

MeggieLee22
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Obviously I don't think that c-sections are the only reason birth has gotten safer for women.  I am not a zealot or an idiot.

All I was asking was that you consider not linking the risks on every single post because some people cannot birth their babies vaginally and you do not know everyone's circumstances.  For some of us it is not a choice, and for OP, after having three cesarians, especially so close together, the risks of VBAC is higher than for someone who has had only one c-section.  In the hands of competent drs and anaesthesioligists I'd rather risk the c-section than uterine rupture.

You repeatedly dismiss my points, such as that complications are more common with c-sections because those births often suffer from complications to begin with, so of course the risks go up.  I'm curious how the stats would change if you looked at only planned repeat c-sections?

You also act like most people opt to have a c-section out of stupidity or fear of a natural birth.  Maybe some people do...like Jessica Simpson (omg when I saw that it made me so mad) but I can't speak for them.  I'm just saying for people like me, vaginal birth is NOT an option, no matter the risks.

Am I afraid of having surgery again?  Yes.  Do I know the risks?  Yes.  Do I want to have them shoved in my face repeatedly when I know there is no other option for me and my baby to come out of it healthy? No.  Do I have enough to worry about without seeing the sentence "Maternal Death 5-7 times higher than with vaginal birth" over and over again? Yes.
All I ask is that you be more considerate....if someone wants the facts by all means share them.  If someone is on the fence about VBAC or repeat section, ditto.  Maybe just be more judicious about how much you toss them about.

Edited for spelling

mercado617
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Hi there, I feel your pain with this. I'm pregnant with my 5th child. ALl of them I had c sections with. I too feel like I Neec reassurance. I'm driving my husband crazy with feeling like this. But I know that you are fine. You have nothing to worry about. You gave yourself some time for your body to recovery with your pervious c sections. I'm going on my 5th and I'm pretrified because they may have to take it two weeks earlier becaose of my previous incision opeining. So I understand completely your need of reassurance. Good luck and keep me posted with what you find out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)