Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Infection!? Please help need some supportive words.

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 527 Total Views

Well i have my two week check-up tomorrow and well I have an infection my incision is oozing stinky stuff and there's redness around it by at least a half inch.  On top of that my left breast is twice the size of my right one and so sore and I found a lump in it.  I'm so worried.  I don't want to end up in the hospital again.  Those three days was pushing it.  My DH and I have no one to watch the kids while he is at work if I'm in the hospital.  The grandparents work the aunt and uncle work and everyone else lives to far away and works.  I just don't know what to do.  I feel like crying but if I do that it will make both of my kids cry (DS is 19 months and DD is well two weeks old).  I'm so stressed out and when I first noticed the redness and oozing I told DH and he said that I'm fine and nothing is wrong.  I'll admit I'm a big worry wort but come on what else has to happen with my body for him to admit that something is wrong?  I just need some encouraging words.

Thank you everyone.  Had my doc appointment and he said there is a slight infection to use some peroxide on it 3-4x a day and like yall said "keep it dry"  After reading yall's responses about it being a milk clog I tried to pump and viola back to normal but I think either she isn't taking enough from my breasts or I'm producing to much cause a few hours later it was swollen and painful again.  Have any of you had one breast produce more than the other?  If so any suggestion or should I keep pumping?  Again thank you everyone it made me feel so much better to read these responses.  I love this site : )

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
takes_a_village
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I would make sure to keep it dry. If you need to put a hand towel there because it folds over (if you have a shelf like I did right after lol) then do! Most infections need warm moist conditions to thrive. You need to take these symptoms seriously because if an infection moves into your blood stream you could have serious complications. I would maybe even call the after hours line just to make sure they are ok with you waiting until your appointment. Also do you nurse? Lumps are not uncommon during the first few weeks. I suggest a hot shower followed by warmed (moist) wash clothes (in a sandwich bag to keep you dry) tucked into your bra for at least an hour. Keep it warm and almost always the clog will dissolve. Nurse if you can and if not hand express while massaging the area. If you do nurse then turn the baby so that her chin is towards the lump (ex: if lump is on top then you will have to lay pillows out and reverse football hold.)

calvinsmommy18
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Sorry hun. Hopefully the Dr will get you some antibiotics and get you on your way to feeling better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllThatBabyJazz
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Mine was raised and red so my doctor gave me antibiotics, told me to keep it really clean and dry. It was better in a few days. 

chrisy8
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM

You could just have a cloged milk duct.  Try not to worry until you see your doctor.  Im sure everything will be fine.  Dont forget you have post pregnancy hormones that are all over the place, so everything will make you want to cry.  I cried when I first came home with my 2nd child after my c-section.  If you end up in the hospital, than your husband will have to do what he has to do so you get healthy.  Im sure you wont need to go into the hospital.  Everything will heal and be ok, just need to give it time.  Some c-sections take longer to heal than others.  One side of my stitches kept bleeding up to a month after.  Good luck and keep me posted .   :)

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I had an infection that went clear back to the uterus by my 6 week PP checkup.  I didn't need to be hospitalized, they just gave me a shot of powerful antibiotics and a prescription.  So hang in there!  

Keep it dry.  Use a blow dryer on a low setting a few times a day.  Try not to scratch or scrub, but do rinse it in the shower if your doctor says that is OK.

As for the breast, that sounds like a clogged milk duct.  If you are nursing, point baby's chin toward the clot.  Understand this may take some creativity!  And be prepared...once that sucker knocks loose you could be in for Niagra Falls!

It might also help to take a warm shower and gently massage it downward.  Some women benefit from placing warm cloths over the affected breast.  Some women who respond well to breast pumps have success pumping the clot out.  The clot won't harm baby.  Tylenol should help with pain and inflammation at the site.  Stay well hydrated.  The reason it looks so much bigger is because you have a literal backup of milk going on when baby is hungry.

If you are not nursing, the doctor might be able to prescribe something to help dry you up faster, which should solve the problem.

GoodyBrook
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:28 AM

DON'T keep pumping, or you'll tell your body to produce even more milk than you need...  Join the CM group called Breastfeeding Moms.  I couldn't have breastfed both my babies so long without the awesome ladies in that group!!!

Try nursing in different positions, and massage as much as you're able.  I tend to get them a lot, so I looked into the supplement called Lecithin.  It's been a godsend to me.  When I feel one coming on, I'll pop a few in the morning and in the evening, and generally it never gets worse...

GL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)