Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So glad to find you all!!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:26 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 224 Total Views

Hello,

My name is Julie.. My husband was diagnosed with Type II last week... He went in for a doctor's appt on Monday thinking he had the flu and was dehydrated...  I got a call from the Drs. office saying to get to the hospital because his blood sugar level was 960!!  Within a couple hours they had it down to 600, but it was very scary the first day or so...  He came home Friday night, and so far we are doing.. well, just ok...  He is extremely frustrated with having to watch his food and portions, and since he's Italian, the limited pasta is killing him!  My 4 year old daughter is having a hard time with this as well, she's terrified of the needles and is afraid to touch him, thinking he will have to be back in the hospital if she hugs him too hard :(

We're starting classes this Saturday, and I hope they will help.  I'm still waiting to hear back from the insurance to see if they will cover this, plus the nutritionist and dietician appointments...  I almost fell over when I saw the cost of some of these supplies he needs!  How do you do it??  This is going to be a huge adjustment for all of us, but I wanted to say I was happy to see that there's a group here in the same boat.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Laurieanne42
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Ohhh I'm right there with you ninasmom...right down to the big Italian Fella!!!! My hubby got diagnosed over Christmas. NOT FUN! We had the same symptoms as well except hubby lost 30+ pounds over a period of 3 weeks!!! He would sleep constantly and looked horrible. We thought it was a touch of the flu until the constant thirst and dry mouth started. Coming from families of diabetics, we knew what we were up against.

The portions and the foods are so tough to understand. I'm still confused about what's acceptable and what isn't. Pasta is still acceptable...it's just got to be whole grain. Our doctor informed us that if the words Whole Wheat were not the first two ingredients...Forget About It!!!! We won't do without pasta.....for hubby, that's like going without his right arm!!!! :-) I make all of our sauces in big batches and freeze them...that way I know EXACTLY what's in them.

It gets hard when the hubbies complain......I know it's frustrating being THEM but Gosh Darnit.....it's tough being the one who is responsible for their diet too!!!!! I told my hubby that if he wants me to continue feeding him...he better just sit down and eat what I make....LOLOLOL. And THAT ladies is the voice of a woman who has been married for 22 years!!!!!!!! :-)

Just hang in there..you're not alone!!!!

Laurie

ArmyWifeMomof3
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:06 PM

hi and welcome. i come from a big italian family, so i can only imagine what it would be like to have to stop eating italian, but there are ways around it! i have a great lasagna recipe that my dh loves (and he is not a big italian food fan, sadly for me who is lol)  my husband has been in the hospital 5 times in the 2 yrs. not from his diabetes though. but each time he was in, they told him he HAD to watch what he was eating and for the first few days out he would.  but then he gives up. i try to cook healthy and he sabatoges me each time. eating late at night, or eating sugary things... it drives me nuts! 

having had watched a type I diabetic little girl, i learned FAST what my dh should and should not eat. what helped us out in to start, is i went through the house and anything that had dehyderginated ANYTHING in it, i threw out.  if it had while flour in it, out the door it went.   i cut any fat off of anything we had in the house too.  i started buying only chicken (and my kids are sick of chicken lol)  but a lot of the recipes you do have you can tweek to meet a diabetic standard.  dh LOVES hamburger stroganoff... well i make it with 97% fat free ground turkey or chicken, use reduced fat/sodium soups, don't but the butter in and use reduced fat sour cream.   he also likes home made gnocci, well, i make it, but now i use whole wheat flour mixed with white unenriched, unbleached flour. 

one trick in the grocery store is stick to the outside isles as much as possible.  really there will only be a few things that you really need in the inside isles. 

we are lucky though as dh is retired military so we don't have to worry about insurace cost. i think it ridiculous that people with diabetes don't have the coverage they need by health insurance companies! these are life saving things they need, not plastic surgery!

Catholic Moms with Christian Husbands - Group Owner http://www.cafemom.com/group/catholicmomsprotestantdads   http://www.deborhr.advancingwithus.com/    

Laurieanne42
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Army...

So you have the Sabotager at your house too huh???LOL. My husband is FAMOUS for the late nighters!!!! The only thing is, when we check his sugar in the morning, his cover is blown!!!! I didn't know that you could use Unbleached white flour? This is Good News!!! LOL. I've been making whole wheat bread since hubby found out about the diabetes. We've been very good at using lean meats and low carb EVERYTHING but there are times when it just seems so monotonous! I'm still learning as I go.

As far as supplies, it gets downright ridiculous that insurance companies will cover insulin but not the cost of testing supplies. They are as much of a necessity as the insulin!!! We are battling it out now with our insurance company right now to see if there is any possible way that they can incur the costs. We are testing four times a day now and the strips and lancets are a fortune.

I told my hubby.....it's pretty sad when you can't AFFORD to have anything wrong with you these days!!!!!! We have a large family and it hasn't been easy!!!!!

Laurie

ArmyWifeMomof3
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Quoting Laurieanne42:

Army...

So you have the Sabotager at your house too huh???LOL. My husband is FAMOUS for the late nighters!!!! The only thing is, when we check his sugar in the morning, his cover is blown!!!! I didn't know that you could use Unbleached white flour? This is Good News!!! LOL. I've been making whole wheat bread since hubby found out about the diabetes. We've been very good at using lean meats and low carb EVERYTHING but there are times when it just seems so monotonous! I'm still learning as I go.

As far as supplies, it gets downright ridiculous that insurance companies will cover insulin but not the cost of testing supplies. They are as much of a necessity as the insulin!!! We are battling it out now with our insurance company right now to see if there is any possible way that they can incur the costs. We are testing four times a day now and the strips and lancets are a fortune.

I told my hubby.....it's pretty sad when you can't AFFORD to have anything wrong with you these days!!!!!! We have a large family and it hasn't been easy!!!!!

Laurie

yeah, i really mix the two.... my kids HATE wheat flour (except my no fail whole wheat pizza dough, they LOVE that)   but you can actually mix the two.  uneriched, unbleached white flour is much better for you than the other stuff... and mixing it with wheat flour helps out A LOT. it still has the complex carbs which helps slow down the digestion and all, but has a bit more "normal" flavor. i even use it with cut out cookies for christmas! no one can tell.

another little secret i use to help increase my dh's fiber intake (as he does not eat a lot of fiber) is i use the benefiber that dissolves and you can't see it!  i put it in his ice tea that i make him, add it to muffins, frostings, etc. just to the about of fiber he gets... i was doing this for almost a year before he caught me.. but by then he had no arguments since i had been doing it for so long lol...

i do agree about the testing strips! it is insane. the little girl i watched, her dad and mom were military.. but her mom got out when they found out their little girl was diabetic.  but even with as good of insurace they have, the military insurance will only cover so many testing strips a month and then they have to pay $1 a strip out of pocket for each strip they use.  the school nurse was going through them like they were candy!  (she was a piece of work and new less about diabetes than i did or so it seemed)  but one month they ended up paying 30 dollars for strips.... hello! those are necessary! people with diabetes need them as you said, just as much as the insulin. 

Catholic Moms with Christian Husbands - Group Owner http://www.cafemom.com/group/catholicmomsprotestantdads   http://www.deborhr.advancingwithus.com/    

wanderingmuse
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I am so glad I found this group!  I am the italian one and hubby just keeps telling me that this is what happens when you feel a Polock itialian fool all the time.  lol...  We are just learning to deal with this too, but the class we took last week REALLY helped!!!  I walked out of there feeling a lot more comfortable.  Now we have an idea of what we are doing and if we have any questions, they gave us a TON of reference material.  My hubby was just given another med and we were able to look it up and figure out what it does.  As for the cost... we are going to drown

Laurieanne42
by on Jan. 24, 2009 at 6:46 PM

My mom was telling us about a site online that she goes to for her testing supplies. She was told at the pharmacy here that they couldn't do anything for her but the girl at the counter slipped her a card and told her to call. My Mom's supplies are all taken care of through it now. It's www.edgepark.com  I'm not saying it will work for all of us, but it's worked for her. We are now in the process of getting our supplies as well. I don't know if this helps for people who don't have insurance but it sure wouldn't hurt to check. The cost of supplies out of pocket is just staggering. Especially if you're testing more than 3 times per day!!!!

Laurie

ArmyWifeMomof3
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Quoting wanderingmuse:

I am so glad I found this group!  I am the italian one and hubby just keeps telling me that this is what happens when you feel a Polock itialian fool all the time. 

I am the italian one too in our family.  what i have learned though is just substituting whole wheat for white flour.  also if you make home made noodles and all, you can put half whole wheat flour in and half white flour.  i do this with gnocci!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)