Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

carb counting

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 254 Total Views

We are new to all of this & still trying to count carbs and bring hubby's blood sugars down.  Do you count carbs?  How do you do it with things like lasagna?  I am looking to vary our diet & I see people talking about all these good foods.  How do you do it and know you are keeping within the daily allowances?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
anklebitr
by Group Owner on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Quoting wanderingmuse:

We are new to all of this & still trying to count carbs and bring hubby's blood sugars down.  Do you count carbs?  How do you do it with things like lasagna?  I am looking to vary our diet & I see people talking about all these good foods.  How do you do it and know you are keeping within the daily allowances?

Have you gone to a diabetes class?  (I recommend it to everyone hehe)  I stink at the carb counting thing.  For lasanga or any pasta it is more about portion control.  I have added veggies to lasanga (spinach, carrots, zuchinni) to make it more filling.  You can also try just two layers of noodles instead of three. 

Mom of two: Caitlyn and Torin Owner of group: Hubby has type 2 diabetes

ArmyWifeMomof3
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:51 AM

there is a great book called the Calorie King, it is really good at counting carbs.  the easiest way though is that for every 15 grams of carbs it is I unit... does that make sense???  but the Calorie King is great for when you are out or if you are buying certain foods to prepare.  you have to remember though that whole wheat carbs are better for you than white flour... it takes the body longer to digest, which keeps BG levels more even. complex carbs are WAY better than simple carbs...

i also have a great recipe for a diabetic recipe.. it can be spicy.. but you can leave out the red pepper flakes to cut that out.  there is also a diabetic recipe for sauce too!  the kids really like that one. it is more of a marinara sauce.

Catholic Moms with Christian Husbands - Group Owner http://www.cafemom.com/group/catholicmomsprotestantdads   http://www.deborhr.advancingwithus.com/    

bobbysmom88
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Hello my name is Belinda and I am new to this to plus over weight so I need to lose weight to.were can I by this book thats what I have been lookin for?and recipes that the whole family can eat.

Thanks

shopping

Bobbysmom88
sanskrit
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM

There is a pasta called Dreamfields that only has 5 grams of digestible carbs per serving.  If you don't have it in the stores, you can get it on the internet.  It comes in spaghetti, rotini, lasagna and penne.  It really has been a godsend because our kids love pasta and I didn't want to fix two meals.  Oh, by the way, it looks and tastes just like regular pasta.  As to other carbs I look at the Glycemic index for low glycemic foods.  Basically if it's white, avoid it or just eat it in very small amounts.  If it's green (except for peas)  go at it.  I also recommend a class if there's one near you.  I have also found sugar free honey (honeytree's) and an artificial sweetener called Ideal that honestly tastes exactly like sugar and has really made life easier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)