Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Totally overwhelmed trying to plan this trip HELLLLP!!

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 8:58 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 302 Total Views

We are planning our first trip to WDW this coming April for my son's spring break. I am trying to find outline what would be the BEST way to do it. Do I do it through a travel agency......do I do a "package deal"? What are the best parks to visit with an 8yr old, 3yr old, and 10mo old?

We definitely want to do Magic Kingdom and I am thinking Animal Planet would be best. We want to do two parks b/c we are allowing 2 days for each park. Do they allow you go to go a park ore than one day? 

Is there some kind of package where you stay on the grounds, have "breakfast with the princess'" and can do both of those parks for a reasonable price?

What are you suggestions?

Thank you so much! The info out there is overwhelming!

by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
twnkedee
by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I haven't been to WDW in 8 years, so I am no help but am bumping for responses.

crazybones27
by Member on Jan. 31, 2011 at 8:21 AM

If you are this overwhelmed I would definitely speak to a travel agent first.  They can book the same package deals that Disney is offering. For example they have a deal running that kids ages 3-9 can play and stay for free with the purchase of a 4night/4day magic your way room and ticket package. This means just as long as you have adults paying full price for the room and their tickets you won't have to pay for the kids to stay in the room or for their park tickets.  This may be a good option for you since you have 2 children that fall into that catagory.  The 10 month old is free till their 2.  The travel agent will also have plenty of knowledge to answer your questions.  I suggest finding a travel agent that is Disney Certified.  All this means is they went to DIsney for specific training on all things Disney travel related.  I only make this suggestion before they might be able to help a little more then just your regular TA. 

For your childrens ages Magic Kingdom is a must I feel.  You didn't say if they were boys or girls to their ages.  While I don't think this matters in Magic Kingdom as they have plenty for both it might make a bigger difference in say Hollywood Studios if you decide to go there.   My family loves all 4 parks and for us it would be difficult not to visit all 4 when we're there.  I would take your time at Animal Kingdom, but you might find that you're done pretty early with the park.  So 2 days might be a bit much there.  If you are going for 4 days I would suggest definitely 2 days at Magic Kingdom, 1 at Animal Kingdom, and 1 at another you might be interested in.  Epcot has a lot of learning and interactive stuff for children. 

As I suggested earlier definitely talk to a travel agent.  They'll should be able to give you information to read over, explain the dining plan if it would fit for your family, pluses to staying on property vs off property.  No matter what BRING a stroller for your 3yr old and 10 month old! They WILL need it :o).

WDWMom
by on Feb. 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM

If you are going to use a travel agent, look for an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner.  They specialize in Disney vacations.  But, don't just hand over money to a travel agent and think that's all you need to do.  Year after year I see/hear people who will go home saying "never again!"  Why? Because they didn't do their homework.  They truly believed that all they had to do was walk through the gates of the Magic Kingdom and everything would be magical.  

You need to do some serious research about the parks.  Know what each park has to offer in the way of rides.  Here's a website where you can find info on parks and rides:  www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/themeparks.htm.  There will be many rides that your children, especially the 2 younger ones, cannot do.  There are rides with minimum height requirements.  You should know which rides those are and know before you get in a line if your 8 yo is tall enough.   Are your children afraid of the dark?  There are quite a few rides that are in the dark and/or will scare young children.  

And then there's the walking.  You will walk probably more than you've ever walked in your life. You'll definitely need a stroller.   Will you take one or rent?  Here's an article that will help with that:  www.momswdw.com/disney-world-strollers.

If you are planning a trip in April you need to get cracking.  Disney World is not a place to go without doing intense research, planning and organizing.

Good Luck!

matofour
by Member on Feb. 1, 2011 at 10:59 AM
My personal opinion is you can do the planning, without a travel agent. They are, in my opinion a waste of money for Disney. All you have to do is be able to read, and you can plan Disney.
Check out www.allears.net
Www.mousesavers.com
And www.disboards.com
Everything you need to know is on those sites.
You do need to book dining reservations asap. Because they open up six months in advance and the popular ones can get sold out.
Just figure out Which parks you want to do, and where you want to eat.
The rest you can decide when you are there. We like to have a loose schedule because let's face it, it's vacation, it's supposed to be fun. We know what park we are going to, and what we are eating, the rest we let happen.
If you want to do more than one park a day, you need hopper passes. I think if it's your first trip, stick to one park a day. You can buy four day tickets and do all four parks. Animal kingdom and Hollywood studios can both be done in one day.
I Would look up you tube videos and watch them to decide which parks you want to hit. Magic kingdom is a must, but epcot is a close second for us.
Have fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Weedoodle
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2011 at 9:26 AM

We are planning on going around the same time Its our Mardi Gras Vacation time I am wondering if this is a busy time?

ashleydavis
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM

:)  Thanks ladies! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)