Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group and have a quick question

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 234 Total Views

Hi all, I'm Sheryce, I'm 22 and I have 3 daughters. 5yo, 2yo and 9wk. Been married 3 years on the 24th =)

My family ALL has Celiac and those who haven't been diagnosed yet have chosen to voluntarily adopt a gluten free diet to avoid any issues later on. With my family, everything is diagnosed earlier and earlier. For example, my grandmother was diagnosed in her early 70s, my aunt was diagnosed in her late 40s and my cousin in her mid 20s.

Now with that being said, I'm 22 and haven't had any issues as of yet but I suspect my daughter may have some type of food allergy/intolerance and breaks out in eczema constantly. I'd like to try a gluten free diet for her but am curious how to go about "weaning" her. She will be 2yo next month and I don't want to just completely switch up her diet on her at random.

Any ideas how to make the transition a fairly smooth process?

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Memigen
by New Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I would say to have her tested at least for the genetic carrier first.  Then if it is suspected or found I would begin the weaning.  If she isn't gluten intolerant she could miss out on some important nutrition that is provided in every day foods (yes these can be found gluten free as well but it may be "easier" per se to have her eat every day foods instead if possible) and you may stand the chance of having to begin vitamin therapy or the like.

If you absolutely have decided gluten free is the way to go I would suggest cold turkey all the way.  If she seriously is gluten intolerant then even slight traces of gluten will cause damage to her intestinal tract and that isn't something I would chance compromising.  Simply find things she likes to eat in gluten free varieties, make her fun treats, etc and never let her know anything has changed in her diet.

Check out www.julesglutenfree.com, http://www.amazon.com/Nearly-Normal-Cooking-Gluten-Free-Eating/dp/1419648357 and related things for help. :)

Good luck!

boppysmom2007
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM
I would say get her tested aswell but also go off your gut instinct it took them 4 yrs to diagnose my son and go cold turkey theres so much fu. Stuff u can make her she reallywont no the difference Shea still little
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)