Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why did you choose to breastfeed?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 620 Total Views

Hey ladies!!

I was talking with a friend about black women and they reasons to not breastfeed, (all her children was formula fed) She told me the reasons why she didn't was because: "It hurt" "She didn't have the patience for the baby to latch on" "Time Consuming".. I was thinking to myself well if it takes so much just to provide your baby the nutritional milk that you have why not!? They say about 2 out of 3 African American women choose formula feeding than to breastfeed.. I just wonder since this is all about black women breastfeeding.. What are your thoughts and concerns?

* I first started out undecided about what I wanted to do.. But as soon as my baby came out, the nurses suggested I try to give her some of my milk.. I couldn't feel that much closer to my baby than ever!Yes it hurt but I loved the feeling and the fact that she gets my milk was why I chose to stick with it.. I do try her with formula when I go out and I dont have the time to pump.. But that's "sometimes".. Im currently about to go back to work & Im trying to still up my supply as well.. *

by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Chillisarah
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2011 at 7:34 PM

A lot of women don't nurse because they fear it will hurt or if they do nurse then when it hurts they quickly give in and switch to formula.  Fortunately, it really didn't hurt me bad.  I mean, my nipples would get sore in the beginning from my babies nursing on one side too much..cluster feeding and all that, but lanolin cream (which I used..) and nipple shields (which I didn't use) can fix nipple soreness. Also, poor latch on will hurt a lot so proper latch on is important for comfort and babies full bellies.  Then there are issues with mastitis that I know women that have gotten it and I know nothing about it, heard that breast infection is sooo painful.

Before I became a mother, breastfeeding was out of sight, out of mind.  I really didn't have an opinion about it-good or bad.

I didn't choose to breastfeed.  Breastfeeding chose me. If that makes any sense at all.  

When I looked at my first born laid on my chest something clicked..the nurses cleaned her off and I right away I said, "When Can I Breastfeed Her?" , they said "right now" and she latched perfectly. Not everybody has a wonderful story like that but same with my son, Major, he latched perfectly and we are still BF strong and he is 8 months old.

One thing I did noticed while at the hospital when my DD Kiana was born, though, was she kept throwing up and the nurses told me that was normal to have a little reflux.  I brought her home and she nursed great.  But still would severely reflux. Spitting up out her nose and choking on spit up. This went on for a few weeks when I made up in my mind it must be my breast milk and gave her some formula to see if she could handle it better. I was really confused thinking my milk was too thin. She wasn't gaining good weight and was really fussy. So at her first pediatric appointment at a month old her doctor suggested adding rice cereal to her formula to thicken it and told me she should hold her milk down better.  So I went from nursing exclusively to nursing 50% of the time and the other 50% of the time giving her formula with rice cereal.  Little did I know, that would be the beginning of the end of our breastfeeding relationship.  She still had severe acid reflux so at her 2 month old checkup the doctor gave me a sample of Enfamil AR(formula specifically for babies with acid reflux) and see if that helps.  By then, my supply had diminished and soon after she was fed 100% of the time Enfamil AR.  The acid reflux still did not stop.  So on her 4 month old checkup the doctor put her on an acid reflux medicine and a combo of the medicine and Enfamil AR helped a lot.  By the time she was 8 months old she had completely stopped spitting up and I started weaning her off the medicine.  Looking back on the situation, if only I had the medical advice and support I needed I would have nursed her well after 2 months.  My son, Major, has acid reflux now, we are breastfeeding strong at 8 months old and he just started the acid reflux medicine a couple months ago and is doing great.  We have no plans of stopping anytime soon.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

tpayne87
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:08 AM

I love that story!!

Mines is kinda of similar but not, My daughter had no problem latching on, but I was in soo much pain that I did give in to give formula. Especially when at times It hurt so much it would hurt to put on a bra or put anything near my nipple. I gave in and gave her formula. Then something clicked and I wanted to keep trying breast milk for her. I didn't want to end just because of my pain & suffering, So I gave breast feeding one more try. It still hurt but I was willing to do it pain or not. Sooner or later my milk came in and we've been breastfeeding ever since. I love it, especially at night when she is hungry and all I have to do is prop her up and feed her and go back to bed. No heating up bottles or nothing..

Quoting Chillisarah:

A lot of women don't nurse because they fear it will hurt or if they do nurse then when it hurts they quickly give in and switch to formula.  Fortunately, it really didn't hurt me bad.  I mean, my nipples would get sore in the beginning from my babies nursing on one side too much..cluster feeding and all that, but lanolin cream (which I used..) and nipple shields (which I didn't use) can fix nipple soreness. Also, poor latch on will hurt a lot so proper latch on is important for comfort and babies full bellies.  Then there are issues with mastitis that I know women that have gotten it and I know nothing about it, heard that breast infection is sooo painful.

Before I became a mother, breastfeeding was out of sight, out of mind.  I really didn't have an opinion about it-good or bad.

I didn't choose to breastfeed.  Breastfeeding chose me. If that makes any sense at all.  

When I looked at my first born laid on my chest something clicked..the nurses cleaned her off and I right away I said, "When Can I Breastfeed Her?" , they said "right now" and she latched perfectly. Not everybody has a wonderful story like that but same with my son, Major, he latched perfectly and we are still BF strong and he is 8 months old.

One thing I did noticed while at the hospital when my DD Kiana was born, though, was she kept throwing up and the nurses told me that was normal to have a little reflux.  I brought her home and she nursed great.  But still would severely reflux. Spitting up out her nose and choking on spit up. This went on for a few weeks when I made up in my mind it must be my breast milk and gave her some formula to see if she could handle it better. I was really confused thinking my milk was too thin. She wasn't gaining good weight and was really fussy. So at her first pediatric appointment at a month old her doctor suggested adding rice cereal to her formula to thicken it and told me she should hold her milk down better.  So I went from nursing exclusively to nursing 50% of the time and the other 50% of the time giving her formula with rice cereal.  Little did I know, that would be the beginning of the end of our breastfeeding relationship.  She still had severe acid reflux so at her 2 month old checkup the doctor gave me a sample of Enfamil AR(formula specifically for babies with acid reflux) and see if that helps.  By then, my supply had diminished and soon after she was fed 100% of the time Enfamil AR.  The acid reflux still did not stop.  So on her 4 month old checkup the doctor put her on an acid reflux medicine and a combo of the medicine and Enfamil AR helped a lot.  By the time she was 8 months old she had completely stopped spitting up and I started weaning her off the medicine.  Looking back on the situation, if only I had the medical advice and support I needed I would have nursed her well after 2 months.  My son, Major, has acid reflux now, we are breastfeeding strong at 8 months old and he just started the acid reflux medicine a couple months ago and is doing great.  We have no plans of stopping anytime soon.

Chillisarah
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Quoting tpayne87:

I love that story!!

Mines is kinda of similar but not, My daughter had no problem latching on, but I was in soo much pain that I did give in to give formula. Especially when at times It hurt so much it would hurt to put on a bra or put anything near my nipple. I gave in and gave her formula. Then something clicked and I wanted to keep trying breast milk for her. I didn't want to end just because of my pain & suffering, So I gave breast feeding one more try. It still hurt but I was willing to do it pain or not. Sooner or later my milk came in and we've been breastfeeding ever since. I love it, especially at night when she is hungry and all I have to do is prop her up and feed her and go back to bed. No heating up bottles or nothing..

thats the best part for me too :-)

Tashia07
by Member on May. 15, 2011 at 9:02 PM

It was healthier for my son, it helped in my weight loss after pregnancy, and most of all it was free! My health insurance actually gave me a breast pump to assist in my return to work.  I actually nursed until my son was two.

Cohoyo1
by on May. 29, 2011 at 6:23 AM

I LOVE BREASTFEEDING! BOTH MY SON AND DAUGHTER NURSED WELL AND I WAS SO HAPPY AND PROUD OF MYSELF FOR HELPING THEM GROW BIG AN STRONG. MY DAUGHTER NURSED FOR 2 YEARS . SHE IS 3 NOW. MY SON IS 3 MONTHS AND NURSING STRONG. BEFORE ,MY DAUGHTER WAS BORN I WAS AFRAID OF NURSING DUE TO THE TABOO I HAD BEEN TAUGHT ABOUT BOOBS. WHEN I SAW MY HUNGRY BABY, IT WAS JUST SO NATURAL TO FEED THEM FROM ME AND I LOVE BEING SO CLOSE TO MY DARLING BABIES. I KNOW MANY WHO DISCOURAGED AND WERE MAD UNCOMFORTABLE BY MY BREASTFEEDING.

lilmami81
by Member on Oct. 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM
Initially, because i was a biology major. Mammals feed their young with their milk. It is how it is supposed to work.

When i actually became a mom, because my babies are worth it. That's really it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)