Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

solid foods

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2008 at 10:56 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 1453 Total Views

Ladies,

My DD went for her 4 months wellness checkup. Yes she got 3 shots. But I had given her tylenol before hand so it was not so bad the first couple of hours. She is doing fine, her legs are just sore. Ok why did they stop given shots in the butt?

Anyway the doctor told me I could start letting her eat solid foods.  She gave me a chart and told me to start with ceral first , veggies, fruits. I was so excited. I had experimented with the rice cereal anyway.

Just wanted to share with you guys. I know some people say to wait until 6 months.

by on Oct. 20, 2008 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LyricsMommy107
by Group Admin on Oct. 21, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Breastfed babies really don't need solids for the first year. 6 months is better for starting solids b/c if you start too early the baby could develop food allergies. Start with cereal, then veggies, 1 type every 3 days to check for allergic reactions. A general rule is to space out giving different foods so you can tell if they're allergic to them or not.

Oh and I don't know about shots in the butt...lol I remember getting them in my butt, but Lyric has always gotten his in his thighs.

SWells041585
by Member on Oct. 22, 2008 at 12:47 PM

I totally agree with the PP!!  Starting solids too early is a recipe for disaster.  MOF the WHO and AAP now recommend starting solids no earlier than 6 months.  GL to you momma!

LyricsMommy107
by Group Admin on Oct. 22, 2008 at 1:05 PM

I started my son on rice cereal at 5.5 months and he just got a little bit once a day. I tried giving him extremely diluted apple juice (1 oz juice to 5oz water) and he had an allergic reaction. Broke out in hives all over his body. So I am very cautious about what I give him, even now that he's almost 2. He cannot have dairy (except cheese), nothing with apples, no citrus, no peanuts. I would much rather share this with someone and have them wait so they can try to avoid these food allergies.

Graceshree
by Member on Oct. 22, 2008 at 9:02 PM

I started my daughter on rice at 4 months and she started throwing up.  Completely not ready for the cereal.  I had stopped and started veggies and she eats all veggies with no problem.  I didn't start cereal until a week ago.   We are on oatmeal and fruit.  She still doesn't like the rice cereal.

Felecia19
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2008 at 11:52 PM

When my daughter was 4.5 months we started her on rice cereal. You just have to go slowly and make sure they are not allergic. Good luck!!!

mummerums
by Member on Oct. 24, 2008 at 9:31 PM

See this is what I mean...doctors trying to push our babies off the breast before they need to be... there's a mommie who just started her LO on solids and she's over 12 months.  I have a post on here about my nurse (come to find out she's not a doctor) gettting attitude when I looked at her crazy for suggesting I give my four month old solids...she's six months now and while she certainly is expressing an interest in foods because we all sit together for most meals, she's just not ready for solids.  I gave her steamed mushed peas (I plan to make my baby food from what we eat(doctors at FTT clinic are thrilled with this...nutritionist is A.A.) she mostly made yuck faces and held it in her mouth.  She's just very into breastmilk.  My husband has been sneaking food to her...I think he really wants to bond with her...and she now has a rash all over her body but I can't trial and error because he doesn't know what he gave her.  I've been making fruit smoothies so god only knows what ingredient set off the reaction.  He's from the seriously old school...give that baby anything they'll be aight!!! LMAO... he thinks I read too much...i want to kick him in the arse...LMAO  I know he means well but urgh....

all in all you'll know when your baby is ready when he/she can push food to the front of his/her mouth (which as stated my LO can't do just yet), when they reach for plate, food, utensils (which my LO does at every meal...lol she snatched a spoon right out of my hand and put it in her mouth...she's strong  lucky it didn't have anything on it...)and when he/she is able to sit unsupported for minutes at a time...

good luck to you...and God Bless

briyonce
by New Member on Oct. 24, 2008 at 10:44 PM
I'm sorry but breastfed babies are humans and they do need solids their first year. Starting at 4 months, through the doctors go-ahead, i started DD on solids. i didnt even know that shots were given in the butt. My daughter is 16 months and has had all her shots in her thighs. girl feed your bady. Just watch as you introduce new foods for allergic reactions. Babies dont need juice. DD didnt have juice untill after her 1st birthday.
Libit
by Member on Oct. 24, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Well,

I did the rice cereal and she could not get enough. Got mad when I would not give her more. I mixed it with my breast milk.  So good so far. Now we will try the veggies. I got peas, carrots, and string beans.  I will just keep my fingers crossed.

SWells041585
by Member on Oct. 26, 2008 at 1:50 AM

I'd like to gently remind (and perhaps inform others) that EBF for at LEAST the first year of life is strongly recommended/suggested by BOTH the AAP and WHO.  Although our peds may (at times) genuinely have the best interests at heart for our LOs, they are often misinformed or not informed at all when it comes to the differences between EBF and FF babies.  While many of us do indeed live by the "my momma did it and I'm fine mentality", the foods our mothers fed us were nowhere near the overly processed foods that we're presented with today.  These foods have the same additives and preservatives that are present in embalming fluid.  While I completely agree that some babies may want food before they're 12 months old, it is a FACT that if (and I say if,) they are EBF, they DO NOT need it.  In all actuality, BM is all your LO needs and more.  As in all my other groups, I encourage you to research both sides of the argument, (ie to feed or not to feed) before hastily jumping into anything.  We are all humans (pediatricians and mothers), and we ARE indeed flawed so please, don't just trust what we (internet mothers) say when it comes to the overall health and well-being of your LO, again GL and I HTH!

Quoting briyonce:
I'm sorry but breastfed babies are humans and they do need solids their first year. Starting at 4 months, through the doctors go-ahead, i started DD on solids. i didnt even know that shots were given in the butt. My daughter is 16 months and has had all her shots in her thighs. girl feed your bady. Just watch as you introduce new foods for allergic reactions. Babies dont need juice. DD didnt have juice untill after her 1st birthday.

HEFFAShaunte.png picture by Swells041585preview photopreview imagebreastfeeding

skisbufly1
by on Oct. 26, 2008 at 1:52 AM

I started my DD at 3 1/2 months and she us doing very well....

Quoting Felecia19:

When my daughter was 4.5 months we started her on rice cereal. You just have to go slowly and make sure they are not allergic. Good luck!!!

TickerShack.com Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)