Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ladies,

My DD went for her 4 months wellness checkup. Yes she got 3 shots. But I had given her tylenol before hand so it was not so bad the first couple of hours. She is doing fine, her legs are just sore. Ok why did they stop given shots in the butt?

Anyway the doctor told me I could start letting her eat solid foods.  She gave me a chart and told me to start with ceral first , veggies, fruits. I was so excited. I had experimented with the rice cereal anyway.

Just wanted to share with you guys. I know some people say to wait until 6 months.

by on Oct. 20, 2008 at 10:56 PM
Replies (11-18):
Erika_Steele
by Member on Nov. 5, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Breastfed babies really don't need the solid foods, but it doesn't hurt to let them experiment (with tastes and textures).  When you start your child is going to depend on your child.  My son got solids when he started grabbing food off my plate at 4.5 months.  He didn't like the baby cereals so I skipped them.  I did give him regular oatmeal that I ground in a coffee grinder before I cooked it.  He loved it.  From the start, I always gave him whatever I was eating.  He was able to handle it.  However, my nephew was not able to handle solid foods at a young age.  He wasn't able to keep solid food down until he was 9 months or so.

My point is there is no set age when to introduce solids. It really is going to depend on your child.  My son did not start eating actual meals until he was 10 months.  Most of his nutrition still came from breastmilk as it should with young babies.  They are not going to be able to eat enough of or take in the kinds of solid to provide them with the nutrition that they need..

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
mummerums
by Member on Nov. 6, 2008 at 10:11 PM

agreed, but then I am anti-establishment.  They claim they have our best intterest in mind but they are still after those dollars in your pocket.  So if I pay my med rep to go to the doctors and sell my infant formula/cereal or baby food and you get a huge incentive for doing so...wouldn't I as your doctor tell you hey it's ok to give your baby solids(can't hurt right? and your spending your money and getting the doctor his/her paid vacation, mortgage payment...whatever..everybody wins!!!  Well except maybe your baby who isn't blessed the benefit of his/her God-given foodsource. 

My DD loves the idea of solid foods and I give her samples.  She is not ready.  She gags on the liquid peas I give her but she keeps coming back.  I know she's interested but that doesn't make her ready.  so as long as she's interested I'll keep satisying her curiosity but in the mean-time she'll still be exclusively breastfed.  And when the time comes to give her meals she'll eat what we eat and not the outrageously overpriced preservatives Gerber, Nestle,and others tout as good for you that are full of synthetic, chemicals that are toxic to the body and nowhere near as nutritious as WHOLE foods.  If I wouldn't eat it why would I give it to my darlings?  I wouldn't.

Quoting Erika_Steele:

Breastfed babies really don't need the solid foods, but it doesn't hurt to let them experiment (with tastes and textures).  When you start your child is going to depend on your child.  My son got solids when he started grabbing food off my plate at 4.5 months.  He didn't like the baby cereals so I skipped them.  I did give him regular oatmeal that I ground in a coffee grinder before I cooked it.  He loved it.  From the start, I always gave him whatever I was eating.  He was able to handle it.  However, my nephew was not able to handle solid foods at a young age.  He wasn't able to keep solid food down until he was 9 months or so.

My point is there is no set age when to introduce solids. It really is going to depend on your child.  My son did not start eating actual meals until he was 10 months.  Most of his nutrition still came from breastmilk as it should with young babies.  They are not going to be able to eat enough of or take in the kinds of solid to provide them with the nutrition that they need..

MFax
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Well here's what I think. The APA or whatever new association is always coming out with some new fact and shoving some new tests down our throats. One year its this and the next year its something completely different. If they weren't trying to cram some new study down our throats every couple of years then they wouldn't lose credibility. First its 4 mths now 6. First lay your baby on his stomach now his back...I'm tired of some agency trying to tell me how to raise my children. Yes our mother's did raise us and we DID turn out fine. I don't even know any friends with food allergies. People should research to become informed, consult their doctors, pay attention to their children and make the best decision possible. I have decided a happy medium between 4 and 6 months sounds fine. So I was thinking 5 mths. But secondly my son doesn't seem to be filling up and staying full for long enough. All he wants to do is nurse. And when he's bottle fed and its empty he acts like he's still hungry. I already produce up to 14 oz at any given time if I pump. I'm talking to my doctor at his next apptmnt. This is driving me nuts. I'm scare to do any darn thing. And as far as the APA goes they can kiss my rump! LOL!

bambola
by Member on Jul. 30, 2009 at 3:51 AM
i 100% agree with SWells statement below. it's important that we have these conversations because we must always continue to challenge old ways of thinking and the status quo. let's remember why we all chose to breastfeed...because it is indisputably the best nourishment for our babies. period. the end. i think we can all agree with that. human babies do not need solids their first year. they need human milk. they can have some complimentary foods in due time BUT milk is and should be the main form of sustenance for the first year. food should not be rushed. the digestive system is not fully formed at birth!!! i would like to add to the conversation that rice cereal is nutritionally void in and of itself. manufacturers pump it up with whatever vitamins and minerals to make it an attractive option for a first food (just like these formula companies that tout dha supplementation) why use any imitation when your milk produces the perfect blend of nutrients and antibodies? rice cereal does not come close to what we make, it's just filler in my opinion.
one other thing i'd like to mention about babies who reach for spoons is that it is not a true indication of food readiness. babies who explore and imitate chewing are doing so because that is a developmentally appropriate action, it doesn't always mean they are ready to eat.

by SWells041585 on Oct. 26, 2008 at 1:50 AM
I'd like to gently remind (and perhaps inform others) that EBF for at LEAST the first year of life is strongly recommended/suggested by BOTH the AAP and WHO. Although our peds may (at times) genuinely have the best interests at heart for our LOs, they are often misinformed or not informed at all when it comes to the differences between EBF and FF babies. While many of us do indeed live by the "my momma did it and I'm fine mentality", the foods our mothers fed us were nowhere near the overly processed foods that we're presented with today. These foods have the same additives and preservatives that are present in embalming fluid. While I completely agree that some babies may want food before they're 12 months old, it is a FACT that if (and I say if,) they are EBF, they DO NOT need it. In all actuality, BM is all your LO needs and more. As in all my other groups, I encourage you to research both sides of the argument, (ie to feed or not to feed) before hastily jumping into anything. We are all humans (pediatricians and mothers), and we ARE indeed flawed so please, don't just trust what we (internet mothers) say when it comes to the overall health and well-being of your LO, again GL and I HTH!

Quoting briyonce:
I'm sorry but breastfed babies are humans and they do need solids their first year. Starting at 4 months, through the doctors go-ahead, i started DD on solids. i didnt even know that shots were given in the butt. My daughter is 16 months and has had all her shots in her thighs. girl feed your bady. Just watch as you introduce new foods for allergic reactions. Babies dont need juice. DD didnt have juice untill after her 1st birthday.
sweetiepie81
by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 11:26 PM

i started my son on solids at 3 months even though his doc wants me to wait til 6 months which is crazy!

Chillisarah
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Waiting until 6 months is the best choice

:-)

One of the reasons of this is that babies starting solids way too early like 3 or even 4 mths have a high chance of getting Diabetes, as a child or an adult

Mamas milk is all the nutrition they need until then

bambola
by Member on May. 17, 2011 at 10:09 PM

This topic of solid foods is so important.   I think you are absolutely right that we all need to do our research regarding this and in saying so, I wondered if your choosing 5 months as a happy medium for starting solids was a developmentally appropriate/research based decision for your child?  You and others may not have friends with food allergies, but in many cases, people themselves aren't aware of their own allergies.  Of your group of friends with no known food allergies, do any of them or any of their babies have skin issues, rashiness, excema etc?  i know plenty of newborn babies with skin issues and makes me wonder what the correlation is? granted, this is one isolated example but when i cut gluten out of my and my childrens diet, i noticed the dry patches my daughter had behind her knees completely disappeared.  

Quoting MFax:

... I don't even know any friends with food allergies. People should research to become informed, consult their doctors, pay attention to their children and make the best decision possible. I have decided a happy medium between 4 and 6 months sounds fine. So I was thinking 5 mths. But secondly my son doesn't seem to be filling up and staying full for long enough. All he wants to do is nurse. And when he's bottle fed and its empty he acts like he's still hungry. I already produce up to 14 oz at any given time if I pump. I'm talking to my doctor at his next apptmnt. This is driving me nuts. I'm scare to do any darn thing. And as far as the APA goes they can kiss my rump! LOL!

Alyson121
by on May. 17, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I used to buy cereal for my babies, well at least the first 2 and then i learned that cereal has no nutritional value at all. It wasn't much cereal since all my babies were breastfed (and i'm breastfeeding my 8 month old now who has had no solids except for some smashed up banana i tried to feed him and some avocado).

Yeah breast is best for sure . . . but doctors tell so many conflicting things i see why folks get frustrated.  Nothing like researching for yourself and what's best for your child. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)