Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have oldfashioned Christmas or Holidays?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 278 Total Views

Does anyone make old fashioned projects for Christmas and holiday items.

Well I am going to try to make Blankets for the Children. 

Any other Ideas I would love.  I want to have a real old Fashioned Christmas. 

We are making cookies and hand done fruit baskets.  Nothing is going to be bought for our neighbors either.  Just old fashioned.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaseyes
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:17 PM

we are king of having a old fashion christmas. i'm going to make my 3 yr old a baby doll blanket with the yarn i have left from my 2 month olds blanket. I'm also going to try and make them skirts for christmas. i'm also thinking about making each of them a braclet if i can.

we are pressed for money this year. so everything they would get from us is homemade. and will not be that much. but i do have 3 christmas books that was given to us last year that i'm planning on reading to them and reading the story of Jesus' birth.

i am a proverbs 31, biblical, frugal living, attachment parenting, natural healing, modest sewing, God assisted, stay at home, homemaker with a large family and very old fashion views.

links go to several of my favorite groups if you want to check them out.

momtoo9
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM

I plan on making some things for the kids as well. I typically make "something" for each of them every year. They appear to look forward to that. This year, I plan to make several of the girls a "church" coat and some skirts. Maybe nightgowns too. Haven't figured out for my son yet. He likes western shirts and those are so darned expensive so I may try and fit in a couple of those for him.

I'm crocheting a bunch of doilies now which I should be doing besides being on CM LOL

Lots of sewing to get done too now that I've listed it like this. OK....what did I set myself up for LOL

Joeytwoponys
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I am having an old fashioned Christmas.  Most gifts are being handmade too.  I'm making dolls for the nieces, hats and gloves for the guys, pillows for one sister, and an apron for the other sister.  My dad will get homemade chocolates and cookies, along with applesauce I make every year.  Oh and jam that he always begs for.  LOL.  My mom I haven't figured out yet.  So far, having a blast.

foreverb3
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I give alot of homemade baked goods.  Cookies, candies, breads, cakes plus hot cocoa mix, jams and jellies and pickles that I can in the fall.  I also make alot of my own decorations every year from whatever scraps I have laying around.  I also do homemade cards for the kids and quilts.  Hope this helps.

QuiltLover
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 7:03 AM

One year, I went through all of my pictures I had taken throughout the kids lives and made them their own album...just pictures of them from the time they were born...they were teenagers at the time. When they both opened this gift, the rest just stopped..they loved it..they still have them today..they are in their 30's. It was undoubtedly the best gift I had ever given to them.

KatyJJ
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Quoting momtoo9:

I plan on making some things for the kids as well. I typically make "something" for each of them every year. They appear to look forward to that. This year, I plan to make several of the girls a "church" coat and some skirts. Maybe nightgowns too. Haven't figured out for my son yet. He likes western shirts and those are so darned expensive so I may try and fit in a couple of those for him.

I'm crocheting a bunch of doilies now which I should be doing besides being on CM LOL

Lots of sewing to get done too now that I've listed it like this. OK....what did I set myself up for LOL

Night gowns? I'd love to do that for my dd who is 7! Thanks for the reminder. You know what I was thinking would be easy? To use her long sleeve T-shirts for the top half and sew on some pretty flannel for the bottom half! Good idea?! For my lil' 5 yr old son I think a couple of flannel pants with elastic waistbands will be great. And for the shirts I thought I'd cheat and sew sleeves on a couple of T-shirts where it looks like he's wearing a shirt underneath.  If I can use what I have and just add, spend less than $10, I'll be thrilled! Whatcha' think?  I'm also thinking about custom pillows for all the kids in the family.  And how can I get one of those doilies? LOL

KatyJJ
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:59 PM

I love all the gifts you are making for your family! How wonderful. An apron would be such a great gift for a mom. What kind of dolls? I collect dolls, and would love to see a picture of a handmade doll. : )

Quoting Joeytwoponys:

I am having an old fashioned Christmas.  Most gifts are being handmade too.  I'm making dolls for the nieces, hats and gloves for the guys, pillows for one sister, and an apron for the other sister.  My dad will get homemade chocolates and cookies, along with applesauce I make every year.  Oh and jam that he always begs for.  LOL.  My mom I haven't figured out yet.  So far, having a blast.

Joeytwoponys
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:51 AM

I crochet dolls for my toddler nieces.  This is new to me though.  I've included a picture.  I'm still working on the second doll.  It was fun to do!

Quoting KatyJJ:

I love all the gifts you are making for your family! How wonderful. An apron would be such a great gift for a mom. What kind of dolls? I collect dolls, and would love to see a picture of a handmade doll. : )

Quoting Joeytwoponys:

backroadsmom
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 6:52 AM

I love the idea! I just wish I had the talent to do it! Oh I have written and framed some of my poems and things, but making blankets and all those kinds of goodies is out of my league! Love the idea though... I truly do!

mommaseyes
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 7:38 AM

well I didn't get to do the baby doll blancket, I didn't have enough yarn, so i made a pocket book instead. i still have to make the braclets and skirts. I still have to get measurements for the girls

i am a proverbs 31, biblical, frugal living, attachment parenting, natural healing, modest sewing, God assisted, stay at home, homemaker with a large family and very old fashion views.

links go to several of my favorite groups if you want to check them out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)