Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Gym Tips! :)

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 1082 Total Views
Help! My DH and I joined a gym recently and he ships out for basic mid-march then AIT after that in June. . My goal is to hit 125lbs (i am now 170 down from 188) before he comes home so he has a hottie wife waiting for him ;)

Any advice for the best gym route that will help me get my goal before he gets back? He will be gone a little over 6 months so ill need to loose about 7lbs a month. Any wives out there want to join in with me too?! Thanks! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
livn4hevn
by US Army Retired on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Couple basics:

Work your core every time you go in- abs, chest back, etc. Every time. Then alternate working your legs, and working your arms.

Don't get too comfortable. If you do the same routine every time you go in, you'll hit a plateau and won't lose. You may even gain.

Expect to gain at first. Muscle is heavy. The more you build, the more fat you burn. I lost three pounds, then gained 8 before I started losing regularly. I started at 215 and I'm down to 162.

Make your expectations feasable. If you set a goal to lose too much weight in a short time, you might not be able to maintain your new weight. Gaining back what you've lost is the most depressing thing in the world. So set a short term goal. When you reach it, see how you feel. Take a few weeks off from working out and see if you can maintain your current weight before setting a new goal.

CARDIO. I know. I know I know. I freaking HATE cardio. I hate it with every fiber of my being. But girl... it melted off of me when I forced myself to hit the treadmill, the elliptical, the bike, the row machine.... I'm telling you. Push through it and do it. That's my motto!!! For me, what REALLY helped was having a good playlist on my iPod to get me going. Focus on the music. Push through the pain. Don't think about it. Just go. After a really good run, I feel AMAZING. I really do. I clear my head, pump up the volume and just... go. It's great.

Get outside when you can. I live in Colorado so there's TONS of hiking trails with amazing views. Hard trails, easy trails, whatever. I try to work out in nature as much as possible. I've had some surreal experiences at the tops of waterfalls, mountains, cliff edges... just completely surreal. It's amazing to work hard, get there, with your soundtrack booming in your head... it's a high you can't come down from!!!

Eating is 90% of weight loss. I don't reccomend diets. They don't work. Just be smart. Pay attention. You'd be amazed at how much that helps. Choose the healthier option. If you're out and there ARE NO healthy options, go spicey. Spicey foods boost your metabolism. Get rid of any junk in your house. If it doesn't help you out, don't have it. Munchies are the enemy! There's a list on Pinterest of negative calorie foods.... meaning it takes more calories to digest the food than the food carries. Stock up on those!!! You can eat the crap out of them and you'll lose weight!!!

JerseyAirGurl
by Boot Camp! on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Zone in on your diet... Makes the biggest difference in the world. I do calorie deficits and clean eating. Also don't be afraid to hit the weights in the gym and circuit training. Cardio helps... But mix it up to keep your body guessing.

Your eating should be your biggest focus though... If you hop on an elliptical machine for like 30 mins see how many calories you burn... It's not that much... to lose 1lb you have to burn 3500 more calories than your body normally does... Hence why so many people counting calories. 

I just had my son in Oct and I'm starting back at the gym this weekend and starting my dieting today. Good luck =)

COcowgirlKris
by Boot Camp! on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM

eat what you want but eat smart...everything in moderation even moderation. cutting out things like soda and candy can help at first...but it doesnt help much in the long term honestly if its what you like. cardio is my number one piece of advice i hate cardio as much if not more than anyone but its the best way to loose and you can make it fun. take some zumba or yoga go out dancing etc. working out doesnt always have to be a chore. my other super important piece of advice,dont worry about the weight. your weight will go up and down about 1 or 2 pounds daily naturally and losing weight isnt as important as toning up and losing inches. a friend of mine lost 5 pants sizes but barely weighs less than when she started cuz she gained a lot of muscle and since its more dense it weighs more. also stay positive! keep focused and know there are people on here for you to be able to rely on for support and a boost if you need it from time to time! Good luck!

Eviles
by Hi! I'm new! on May. 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM

eating clean is number one - especially for your midsection. and drink at least half of your body weight in ounces of water a day. allow yourself to have a cheat meal once a week and MAKE IT GOOD. Lifting is also very important because muscle burns fat even when you're sleeping.

ive lost 40 pounds in the past 6 months after having my baby. definitely confuse your muscles. you will not lose weight going to the gym everyday and hopping on the eliptical for an hour. or even the treadmill for that matter. you need to be doing something different daily. that being said, i warm up for a mile on the treadmill just to get my muscles warm. if your gym has classes utilize them all! zumba is great for working up a serious sweat and there are lots of squating positions in it so your legs and abs get a nice workout. any kind of weightlifting class would be great if you are just starting out.

my gym routine is as follows. monday-chest, tuesday- biceps, wednesday - chest, thursday- shoulders and triceps, friday- legs, saturday a little bit of everything. i do different ab workouts each of these days. your body needs 48 hours to recover so dont do arms two days in a row . abs are a little different. i also do squats daily.

lets see... definitely dont diet. just eat with the mentality that you are fueling your body. i eat the same things over and over again. chicken breast, turkey burgers, lots of green veggies, greek yogurt, almonds, hummus, guac, brown and wild rice mix, sweet potatoes for my carbs, eggs in the morning,and a protein shake made with almond milk.

i hope you find that this becomes a lifestyle. remember, it takes 21 days for something to become a habit so definitely give it at least 3 weeks to become more comfortable with the new lifestyle. also remember it takes 4 weeks for you to start noticing your body changing, 8 weeks for people close to you, and 12 weeks for everyone else. so dont be discouraged when you dont see a ton of change after two weeks of working your a** off.

also... weigh only once a week. the scale cant show you inches lost in certain places and the change of body composition (fat to muscle). i measure myself once a month and find that so much more satisfying than watching the scale go up and down.

if you have any questions or want to join a 90 day challenge let me know! there is one coming up in a couple of weeks.

-Erin

Eviles
by Hi! I'm new! on May. 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM

whoops wednesday is back day not chest again lol

SRL_45
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM

How are things?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)