Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a blood pregnancy test be wrong?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM
  • 9 Replies

I am on a monitored cycle for clomid and I did know that I ovulated, due to a cd21 progesterone test.

So, I was 1 day late and went in for a blood test and it was indeterminate, so I went back 48 hours later for another blood test and that one was negative. My dr was very hopeful that this was it for me, with af being a no-show and all.

So af still isn't here and even if I was off on my ovulation day by a week, I am still late.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Maybe that my hcg is just a slow climber?

Grasping at straws here ladies

embarrassed

Thanks!

Jen

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
montanacat
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:01 AM

i don't know how "wrong" a blood test an be. A positive preg test is anything more that 5 mIU and can usually be detected 10-11 DPO. Good Luck!

kia24
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Quoting jking48444:

I am on a monitored cycle for clomid and I did know that I ovulated, due to a cd21 progesterone test.

So, I was 1 day late and went in for a blood test and it was indeterminate, so I went back 48 hours later for another blood test and that one was negative. My dr was very hopeful that this was it for me, with af being a no-show and all.

So af still isn't here and even if I was off on my ovulation day by a week, I am still late.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Maybe that my hcg is just a slow climber?

Grasping at straws here ladies

embarrassed

Thanks!

Jen

I know how frustrating this must be for you! I do understand. I had a blood test done,and it had come back negative,but was confirmed the following week by another blood test that I was in fact pregnant.Unfortunately, that pregnancy ended in a mc. Just try to stay hopeful. Sometimes, the hcg hormone isn't really that strong when you do go in for testing sometimes.Hopefully, your numbers will get higher,and the test will show positive! Good luck mama!blowing kisses

jking48444
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Thank you!

krystaldawn_21
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I think they can be because when I was pregnant with my son I went and got a blood test and it said negative.Well a month later my period was still a no show so I did a pee test at home and it was positive.I then got my first ultrasound done and I was already 10 weeks.Strange I know but I guess it happens sometimes.

jking48444
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Af still isn't here, which is good I guess, but by all calculations, if I don't start today something is seriously wrong. I did ovulate, so I don't know what the hold up is.

But thanks for the words ladies, you have given me encourangement!!!

shouting

Army_wife1975
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 6:56 PM

I had one come back neg. on a Friday but i knew i was pregnant. that sunday i started cramping. monday after they called and told me the second one was pos i was already miscarring 

iseeall
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 11:18 PM

well i dont know how much this will help but when i got pregnant with my daughter i went to the doctor thinking i had the flu. he did a blood test to see if i was pregnant, thyroid and galbladder. well when the results came in the pregnancy was negitive and the thyroid came back higher than normal. he had me come back a week later to do another test. when this one came back my thyroid was fine and i was pregnant. it just depends on when the test is done. i have always had low levels. with all my pregnancys. the kicker is i ended up 2 years later having to have my thyroid removed. id like to think that it was a sign or something. 

Mrs.chevy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:13 AM

yes, yes, yes ... They can be wrong.. 

My husband and I have been trying for almost a year. the told us we could not hav any more kids.  I didnt get my period For 5 months, that is when they said i went into early premental pause.  ( spelling might be wrong) .  Around the 6th month , I took a pregnancy test jus for kicks. I t cam out positive, turns out i was 3 months pregnant.  I had , had 8 blood test done, 12 urine, all cameout negitve. 4 Different docs told us we were done having kids., and blood test are 100% sure.  So they can Mos def be wrong. 

Good luck.

starrlite27
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:56 PM

yes there has been known cases where a blood pregnancy test has been wrong. i know a few people in one of my mommy groups that had that happen. one of the reasons is too soon. i hope this helps.  good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)