Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Acid reflux?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM
  • 9 Replies

Does anyone know if it is safe to take pepcid for acid reflux while pregnant? I am 26 wks.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kbaby72578
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:44 PM

No, I also have acid reflux and I am pregnant and the doctor says only tums.

Janis198
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:48 AM

TUMS only, also, have you tried getting on your knees and putting your chest on the couch?. I know sounds funny, but it always worked for me, it gets all the presser off of your stomach.

Janis mommy to 5 great kids =)

mar1215
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 7:10 PM

I took pepto when 27 weeks with dd.  I had it so bad, I thought I was in labor ! lol

COMama303
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Apparently Zantac is alright but I've kept to the age old milk and TUMS. It doesn't always work but it usually does.

daisynsunshine
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM

the doc will let you take zantac or tums. depends on the doc really.

JurneesMama
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Yes I took Zantac that my Dr said I could take.. ask your Dr!

kkolb1
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:46 PM

You can take zantac. I've been taking it for weeks. although it doesn't work the greatest for me. I can practically spit acid now.

Cadiedid
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I had this problem, and Tums just made the rebound heartburn worse.  I tried Pepcid, Zantac, Tagemet and several other OTC meds (all were okayed by my OB).  I had been on Prlosec prior to the pregnancy, but it's not recommended, so my OB did a little investigating and found that there are several "proton pump inhibitor" medications that are fine during pregnancy.  We went with Nexium because the insurance would pay for it, but there are other similar drugs.  PPI drugs are very different from Zantac etc, and they really worked for me.  I have GERD and it can be ery dangerous to go untreated with this.  It puts you at risk for esophageal bleeds and even cancer if untreated, so if you have severe heartburn or GERD, talk to your OB.  He/she will help you find a very safe and effective medication.

wanting_2beamom
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 10:12 PM

I have had acid reflux my whole life and the DR says only tums.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)