Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cat Litter?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM
  • 10 Replies

Okay, I remember from 4 years back that changing cat litter is bad for two reasons : ammonia and wieght (if you have a larger box).

My DH has no problem changing them, but he refuses to scoop. I think he'll learn we can't afford a daily changing though, plus that's ridiculously wasteful.

If I wore a face mask, to prevent inhaling ammonia...Could I scoop? 

The word for Christmas in late Old English is Cristes Maesse, the Mass of Christ, first found in 1038, and Cristes-messe, in 1131. So the word Christmas literally stands for Christ-Mass.

Merry Christmas! Mary Christ-Mass!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilianasmom1116
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:40 AM

i think it was more than just the ammonia though. cat poop carries whatever bacteria or disease (or somethin lol) which be careful around cats in general (holding them) they scoop around their box with their claws. then they climb on you and sometimes may (accidentally) scratch. my cat went to my father in laws house when i was pregnant.

i wouldnt do it. i would tell him to suck it up. whats he gonna do when baby comes?!?! never change a poopy diaper??? lol

mereinolan
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:48 AM

You can ask your doc to check for the level of the bacteria or whatever it is that the cat box has. If you have cats and have had them for a while, chances are that you'll have built up an immunity to it by now. It's not the amonia, unless you're going to be there for a while inhaling it... and I'm sure that's not the case :)

~~Meredith~~~

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I've been googling...it says something about toxoplasmosis and that if you've had it once, you can't contract it again. And there's a test. I've had cats for 3 years now that I've changed the box for, but was raised with cats since infancy. Still uncertain though.

Quoting mereinolan:

You can ask your doc to check for the level of the bacteria or whatever it is that the cat box has. If you have cats and have had them for a while, chances are that you'll have built up an immunity to it by now. It's not the amonia, unless you're going to be there for a while inhaling it... and I'm sure that's not the case :)

The word for Christmas in late Old English is Cristes Maesse, the Mass of Christ, first found in 1038, and Cristes-messe, in 1131. So the word Christmas literally stands for Christ-Mass.

mamameg82
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:09 PM

I have a cat and I asked the doctor about changing the litter and she said if you have to wear a mask and gloves. Make sure you wash your hands after. You can also have your cat tested at the vet too to see if you even have to worry but I just wear the gloves and mask. 

expecting baby                            toddler boy         
George/Megan (7/7/07)           Donovan (8/27/07)
Expecting our                             "BIG BROTHER"
2nd baby boy 
March 21,2010

storkradio193
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 6:33 PM

yeah, i don't think that you can do it. sorry.

www.storkradio.com

Dgurl
by on Dec. 12, 2009 at 1:09 AM

I have 5 cats, my SO is changing the litter box, however in the "What to expect when you're expecting" book it says that you can wear a face mask and gloves, and make sure to wash your hands like someone previously stated. Also it is about toxoplasm or w/e, and it's usually found in cat feces, usually by indoor outdoor cats from my understanding. You can test to see if you're positive for it, if you are, that can mean that you're not sick with it, you had it and are immune. Also check with your Dr. Tell your hubby to suck it up, I've got 5 cats that 5 cats shitting lol. Imagine all the shit and piss you need to clean out of the litter box?! Yea....unless of course you do have 5+ cats! lol. But if you only have 1 or 2 he needs to be greatful we can spend 10+ minutes cleaning the boxes, although I'm not longer able to clean them, and I'm happily giving up that chore. I make sure SO cleans the box every day also, it'll help keep the smell, and the bacteria down.

Also if you want to know a bit more, there is ALWAYS a warning on the box/tub of cat litter about toxoplasm.

dessiraonichi
by on Dec. 12, 2009 at 1:46 AM

oh wow didn't know this and i have three cats... one cat doesn't really use litter box since he's indoor outdoor while the other two cats are indoors and use litter box. so yeah i didn't know that i can't really clean the litter box unless i use a mask and gloves while pregnant.. i'll have to let my hubby do it all then hehe..

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Well, glad you stumbled upon this post then :) 

Quoting dessiraonichi:

oh wow didn't know this and i have three cats... one cat doesn't really use litter box since he's indoor outdoor while the other two cats are indoors and use litter box. so yeah i didn't know that i can't really clean the litter box unless i use a mask and gloves while pregnant.. i'll have to let my hubby do it all then hehe..

amytoo
by on Dec. 12, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I have always heard that if you have had cats before you were pregnant that you probably have been expose to the toxmantile and that lessons the risk of contracting it while preg. Always wash your hands. I know if I didn't clean the box no one would. Amy

Butterfly_Laura
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 8:05 AM

I've been told that if you are used to having cats, then you have built up an immunity to the ammonia and stuff.  If the cat is fairly new, I'd just tell your husband to get over it.  I'm sure that he doesn't want you to have any complications. But, I think that if you are used to having cats, then I wouldn't worry about it.  I'd ask your doctor just to be sure though! Good luck!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)