Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Are these OPK tests invalid after 24 hours??

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2010 at 12:26 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm still struggling to figure out these OPK test readings. When I test, I always get a faint line after a couple minutes, and it gets darker until up to ten minutes after. But at that point they are not as dark as the test line, so I assume that means it's a negative test. But I've been comparing all the tests together each day and some lines are faint and gradually they get darker. Today's test is the faintest I've seen, but my temp was low (97.2 -although i was awake talking to my son for a minute and had to sit up to reach the thermometer before I took my temp. but I thought that would make it higher?). Is it too late to read the tests after 24 hours or are they still developing results after 10 minutes? If they are still ok after the time suggested on the box, it looks like I O'd yesterday, But it wasn't this dark 10 minutes after I tested. I have pics here.  The x's beside the dates on the tests are days we BD'd! Any opinions or suggestions would to GREAT! I thought this OPK thing was more straight forward than this! haha!

Trying to Conceive TickerCafeMom Tickerswedding websites

Physiological (natural) home birthing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, no-CIO, non circumsizing, pro-life, attachment parenting, cloth diapering, baby slinging, baby food making, green living, midwife loving, doula practicing mommy to an amazing two year old boy and wife to the greatest man I've ever known! TTC our number two! Life keeps gettin' better!

by on Jan. 29, 2010 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MummaNik
by Member on Jan. 29, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Oh, I guess your temp is supposed to dip before you ovulate right? I'm getting confused about the OPK actually PREDICTING ovulation, not telling you after it happened! =) Still confused about why the positive took so long to show up on the 28th...is it still valid after 10 minutes? I know of HPT they say not to read it after a certain time has past.

Physiological (natural) home birthing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, no-CIO, non circumsizing, pro-life, attachment parenting, cloth diapering, baby slinging, baby food making, green living, midwife loving, doula practicing mommy to an amazing two year old boy and wife to the greatest man I've ever known! TTC our number two! Life keeps gettin' better!

tinag1974
by on Jan. 31, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Most tests will tell you on the box how long the results are valid.  After that time, they are no longer valid...you should be reading them within that time period, not after.  My doctor's office said that they line can continue to get darker but that doesn't mean the results are changing.  Have you tried using a ovulation monitor rather than the ovulation predictor kits??  They are much more reliable and nothing has to be read on your part.  It does all the work for you but they are expensive.  I wish I had known more about them when I was first trying to conceive.  It would have been a lot cheaper than buying all of those predictor kits. 

~tinapuppy

MummaNik
by Member on Jan. 31, 2010 at 8:49 PM

I've heard of those but I know they are expensive! I may just have to stick with temping! Thanks for the advice!

boobaliscious
by on Jan. 31, 2010 at 8:52 PM

according to the directions on my opks it says a faint line isnt valid, it says the test like should be the same or darker than the control unlike a pregnancy test where faint is ok.... so to me, it looks like you most likely ovulated the 28th....  

-Brandi Lyston  ttc

Mom to Bennett & Ashlynn; Wife to Shaun

LilyBeansMom
by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 12:19 PM

It's my understanding an opk isn't positive unless the line is as dark or darker than the control line within 10 minutes.  And a positive means that you will most likely be ovulating within the next 24 hours so you should hurry up and bd every day for a 2-3 days.  With temping, some people have a dip when they ovulate (before the temp spikes) but not always.  Once your temp goes up you have already ovulated and bd would probably not matter (but never hurts to try!).

~  Lisa  ~

MummaNik
by Member on Feb. 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I don't think I ovulated on the 28th. It didn't get as dark until after the 10 minutes (I don't know when bc I stopped watching after 10min). Also my temps never went up and I never really had EW CM...but I do now! I thought I was on a 30day cycle but maybe I am wrong or I am Oing late this month. I am out of OPKs but I'm still temping and watching my CM so hubby and I will keep BDing and hope for the best! Thanks for all your advice ladies!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)