Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else start to take prenatal vitamins?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM
  • 13 Replies

Dh and I have been ttc for months now. We wanted to all start taking vitamins. I got the otc prenatal vitamins. I though maybe that would give me a boost on ttc. Anyone else taking them? Do they help with ttc?

Proud mommy and wife. Mrs. Stage

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweettigeress
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I am taking them when I can remember. I take meds for my thyroid and I can't take them together and sometimes I forget to take my prenatal. We've been trying for almost 7 months now.

babydust2010
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I take vitafol, they're rx through my fertility dr. They contain DHEA which is impt. esp. when TTC.

Sweet_Britt
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:55 PM

I didnt take them while TTC at all. But for some reason, got the inkling to take them starting about 7DPO. I found out I was pregnant a couple days later!! How weird, huh?

Suz_and_Ash
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I am taking them.  Only because I ran out of my regular vitamins and I had some left from my miscarriage last year.  I actually started taking them before we decided to try to conceive

sanoe08
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I've been taking them for months now. My doctor said they're really good to take BEFORE getting pregnant. As far as them helping you with TTC I'm clueless, but they make your nails and hair look great!! Good luck to you mama!!

NCMommy2be
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:26 PM

It is SO IMPORTANT to taking a prenatal vit BEFORE you get preggos. The first few weeks of pregnancy are the most critical. Every OB I have went to while TTC has said that you should start taking a prenatal 6 months prior to starting to TTC.

mommacosta4
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:31 PM
I posted a similar question about a week ago, and most of the ladies agreed its a good idea to start vefore conceiving whether they are OTC or precribed. I just came back from my OB yesterday and talked to them about us ttc #3 and they were more than happy to give me a prescription for ones with DHA and a refill for a whole year!!
SoLuckysAngel
by Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:45 PM

(Military doctor) The second after the GYN pulled my IUD he told me he was putting in a perscription for prenatals and to go pick them up from the pharmacy when we left the office.Thinking back I'm not sure if I had even told him we were going to try at that point. LOL Just that my son was about to be 3 and I had been having issues that may or may not have had to do with my IUD. I guess after 30-40 years you pick up on subtle clues.

**EDITED**  I know they're good to take before you get preg, as for if they help, I'm really not sure. I'm about to do some research on it now that you've mentioned it. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Early in pregnancy, the only component of a multi- or prenatal vitamin that most mothers-to-be

really need is folic acid (or folate). Women who are taking extra folic acid when they conceive lower their chances of having a baby with an incomplete spinal column (also known as a neural tube defect or spina bifida). For this protection to take effect, the folic acid has to be present in the first four weeks of fetal development, two of which happen before a woman even realizes that she is pregnant (you don't know until after you miss your first period, which usually occurs about two weeks after conception).

Fairysoul
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Yes you should take them asap!

iseeall
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:10 PM

ive been taking them since hubby and i decided to ttc. that was 2 years ago. and still nothing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)