Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Twins?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:03 AM
  • 6 Replies

I know it is very early for me to be concerned about this (barely 4 weeks) but I am wondering if any twin mommies can help me.  I am 34 years old and one of my concerns about getting preggo at this age was the possibilities of twins.  I was able to get a BFP at 9 DPO with a regular test mid day and a digital test mid evening.  I had been really nauseated for about 3 days prior to testing.  I am still struggling with the nausea.  I know there is more HcG when there are multiples and I am wondering if that is why I got a positive test so early and am feeling so sick.  I have only been pregnant one other time and my son will be 14 years old in two months, so I really feel like I am going through this for the first time again! Thanks for any insight, mommas, whether to confirm or shoot down my worrying!  

expecting baby

~Jo~

"A mother is not someone to lean on. A mother is someone who makes leaning unnecessary."

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
montanacat
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM

here's a little bump for ya! I had the same concern, cuz twins run in my family...i got my + at 8DPO...i had betas done, and the numbers were REALLY high, so we did an early u/s @ 4wks 5 days, and there was just 1....2nd u/s @ 6+ weeks to see the heartbeat...still 1! so i would call your OB (since you're close to the maternal age issue) and see if they will do betas!

joannarenay
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Thanks!  I am planning to call anyway to see if they will be doing an u/s at that first visit, because if they are, I really want DH there.

Faithums
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:21 PM

My mother was 42 when she get pregnant with me and they told her the increased risk for twins and her levels were really high. the docotor had her prettty convinced that she was going to have twins. Well there is just one of me so they were completely wrong. HCG level can vary a great deal and that means absolutely nothing, it is also possible that you may have Oed earlier in the cycle or you had implantation very early.

hCG levels during pregnancy

(in weeks since last menstrual period)

3 weeks LMP

5 - 50 mIU/ml

4 weeks LMP

5 - 426 mIU/ml

5 weeks LMP 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
7 - 8 weeks LMP 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
9 - 12 weeks LMP 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
13 - 16 weeks LMP 13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
17 - 24 weeks LMP 4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
25 - 40 weeks LMP 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml
non pregnant 55-200 ng/ml
Autumn19
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:25 PM

i bet your gonna have a girl i have a sister who was the same way she got real big real fast and we all though she would have twins cuz her other two kids were boys but this was a girl and she was always sick she thought something was actually wrong with the baby but she was fine good luck....o yea i am also a twin

MissyButtons
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I got my BFP at 9DPO and I'm only having 1 kiddo! I don't know what my numbers were, but it definitely showed up on a test.

joannarenay
by on Mar. 8, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Thanks for all the info ladies.  I am just a little stressed over it because I know if it is twins I would have to quit work because daycare would be too expensive.  And while I would love to stay home at least the first year, we really can't afford that either.  I will keep everyone posted :-)  And I hope Autumn 19 is right and it is a girl!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)