Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Antibiotics? UPDATED (Again/...in red)

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

So I think I might have a UTI. I have never had one before, but from what I read on the web and talk to other people about it, it sounds like what I have. So I am going to call and make an appointment. Who do I see the GYN or my personal physician? Sorry if thats a stupid question, just never had to go for this before. Also if they put me on antibiotics so they have any effects on ttc?

So I called to make an appointment and I said I didnt know which to go see, the GYN or the regular doc..they transfered me to the advice nurse...who I was on hold for 20 mins... When I finally did talk to her, she wants me to go to Urgent care tonight, since I have had symptoms for a week now... I asked if I could just wait and go Monday and she said she would feel better if I went tonight. So off I go to Urgent Care, they made me an appointment for 8:20pm. I guess it is a good thing, because I am feeling rather uncomfortable right now. 

My aunt says they wont prescribe me antibiotics, rather some sort of Sulfur thing.. I dont know we will see when I get there. UGH. 

So I went to the Urgent Care appointment tonight. It took a little while and was a little interesting, but I do indeed have a UTI. They put me on Keflex. It is supposed to be okay for me while ttc and breastfeeding, since my son is still nursing. Oh and they gave me a tetanus shot while I was there, since I was due for one. 

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Suz_and_Ash
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I never went to the doc for a UTI.  I just went to the grocery store and bought cranberry juice(not the cocktail, too much sugar there) and drank nothing but that for 2 days.  By the time I finished the second day I felt alot better and just drank alot of water for then next days.  That was just me and a mild UTI. 

joannarenay
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:31 PM

You can see either doctor, most insurance has a lower co-pay for regular doctors.  Just be sure to let him know you are TTC and he can prescribe a safe antibiotic.  If you do try OTC remedies (and they are usually located near the preggo tests) be sure they say they are safe for pregnant women.    Good luck!

baby dust

Cmyfantasyworld
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Quoting Suz_and_Ash:

I never went to the doc for a UTI.  I just went to the grocery store and bought cranberry juice(not the cocktail, too much sugar there) and drank nothing but that for 2 days.  By the time I finished the second day I felt alot better and just drank alot of water for then next days.  That was just me and a mild UTI. 

Thanks, I meant to go get some cranberry juice, but I have just been so crazy and on some days it doesnt bother me too much, I just tried to up my water intake and it seemed to be a little better. I wasnt even sure that is what I had at first...since I cant remember ever having one before.. 

Cmyfantasyworld
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Quoting joannarenay:

You can see either doctor, most insurance has a lower co-pay for regular doctors.  Just be sure to let him know you are TTC and he can prescribe a safe antibiotic.  If you do try OTC remedies (and they are usually located near the preggo tests) be sure they say they are safe for pregnant women.    Good luck!

baby dust

Thanks, the copay for our insurance is the same, they are sending me to Urgent Care... same copay as well.. But ill most likely get prescribed something have to pay a copay for that too..oh well, at least it will make me feel better. Should I mention I am ttc? I guess I should. I wonder if what they prescribe me will mess with my OPKS. 

tabs852
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Ouch ouch ouch!! I think I have one too. I've been having symptoms for about 3 days now & they were horrible last night & today but I've been drinking tons of water & no caffeine. It actually feels better now. I bought some cranberry juice but I think it's the fruit cocktail one... is that bad?????

candcsmom2008
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM

GL MOMMA

Suz_and_Ash
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Quoting tabs852:

Ouch ouch ouch!! I think I have one too. I've been having symptoms for about 3 days now & they were horrible last night & today but I've been drinking tons of water & no caffeine. It actually feels better now. I bought some cranberry juice but I think it's the fruit cocktail one... is that bad?????

The cocktail has a lot of sugar so it can make it worse.  Maybe water it down a bit for now until you can get some regular juice.  Also, they have cranberry pills out there(don't know what they are called, a friend of mine uses them) if you can't handle the regular juice.  And the white cranberry juice is less tart than the red stuff.

Cmyfantasyworld
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Quoting tabs852:

Yea they are no fun. The water really seemed to help me too, but I would honestly suggest just going to see the doc. Even though the water is making you feel better, the infection is still present.

Cmyfantasyworld
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Quoting candcsmom2008:

GL MOMMA

Thank you : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)