Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blue dye tests?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:30 AM
  • 9 Replies

Ok so I have been reading posts and everyone has said that the blue dye tests are unreliable and that they suck. Why is that? I'm just curious I only use first response or digital so I have never used a blue dye test. So whats the deal?

I am on day 24 of a 28 day cycle and I tested today with FMU it was negative but I didn't let it get me down. My calendar says to test on the 3rd but I am going to try and see if I can wait til I miss AF (assuming I miss it) I hope this is it for us hubby deploys in a couple of months and may be gone for 15 months so I really want to get my BFP before he goes.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mumiov2
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:24 AM

Im not sure about the tests but i just wanted to say i hope you get ur BFP before your hubby goes away!! Gudluck Hun .. :)

MRSnMOTHER
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:58 AM

They are notorious for defective results, false faint positives, and evap lines.  I got these results with 4 different tests. Two gave me false faint positives and the other two were just janky. The results popped up right away.

This is not always the case however it happens so much it is reccomended not to use blue dye tests.

Note I am not pregnant.

First test

second test

The other 2 was more obvious because the line were misplaced. Again this popped up right away

Check out My Hangout spots here on Cafemom             
olivejuicebby
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Back in September '09 I used a blue dye test and had a false positive. There was two clear blue lines, but it was just that the blue dye had smeared over to the side and made it look positive. I was not pregnant. I think that is one of the reasons some people don't care for the blue dye tests.. false positives happen a lot.

LaMaisonDuMoi
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:55 AM

I had no idea about blue dye tests until I came to this group.  I had always read it is impossible to get a false positive on a pregnancy test.  Apprently not with those!   I haven't ever used one either.  I always use FRERs.   I can't take 20 each cycle, but it saves me a lot of heart ache.  I could not handle a false positive.  My FRERs are my faithful little friends and always tell me the truth.  :)  Sorry, not much help as to why they do that though. 

joeysmommy0921
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:48 AM

I tested with an EPT (which is a blue dye test) and got a false positive. Every test I took after was negative. It was pretty devastating.

MRSnMOTHER
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Yeah it is heart breaking. I know better. I have seen women get accurate results but it sucks when it is not correct.

Quoting joeysmommy0921:

I tested with an EPT (which is a blue dye test) and got a false positive. Every test I took after was negative. It was pretty devastating.

Check out My Hangout spots here on Cafemom             
shannwow
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Well now that I know I will definately never use a blue dye test. Thanks for filling me in ladies!

bjw_053109
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:03 PM

The first two look exactly like the results I got back in January I believe. I wasn't pregnant then. So I agree with everything you said.

Quoting MRSnMOTHER:

They are notorious for defective results, false faint positives, and evap lines.  I got these results with 4 different tests. Two gave me false faint positives and the other two were just janky. The results popped up right away.

This is not always the case however it happens so much it is reccomended not to use blue dye tests.

Note I am not pregnant.

First test

second test

The other 2 was more obvious because the line were misplaced. Again this popped up right away

baby boyin loveexpecting baby    

Mommy to Brennen   Wife to Will    And Expecting #2

5-26-2009               7-1-2009            EDD 12-8-10 

sungirl89
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I had three false positive results with EPT my Dr. ended up telling me it was a chemical pregnancy. I took a test yesterday morning with EPT and got a faint positive (like the photo of the TWO tests you have side by side) I was wandering if you did end up positive?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)