Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Went to the DR today...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM
  • 5 Replies

he checked me and said i have enlarged ovaries... what causes that and is it serious....I haved to go back in 3 weeks for a u/s t 

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Della03
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Im sorry :(  I honestly dont know. Did u ask ur doctor why?

BlackDahlia7
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Ya but he's one of those drs that is all in a hurry and acts annoyed when u ask questions....i am worried cuz i dk if this is something serious or maybe this is why im not getting pregnant....r

kaitlynsmommie
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:52 PM

im sorry that really sucks! i wish that dr.'s would get on this site and give us some advice! lets face it, there just isnt enough time in the office with them for all of the questions that we have!!! and if your like me you end up forgetting alot of what you wanted to ask. frustrating is not even the word for it. but goodluck with your u/s.

forever_case
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:54 PM

This is what i found on the subject hope it helps.

An Enlarged Ovary or Ovaries can be caused by one of several problems such as cystic or solid mass,   polycystic ovarian syndrome, ovarian cancer, ovarian cyst, congenital problems, tubo-ovarian abscess, and metastatic malignancy.

So while the enlarged ovaries themselves may not be the problem, their underlying cause is what always requires attention.

Enlarged ovaries would generally manifest themselves with symptoms such as pain in the lower abdomen or back, and an irregular menstruation cycle.Enlarged Ovaries

It is important to distinguish enlarged ovaries from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, because though PCOS can cause the ovaries to be enlarged, that is not always the case. Even with PCOS the ovaries can sometimes remain more or less the same size; or not significantly enlarged.

The reason that enlarged ovaries could be a concern is that there are several serious problems that could be causing the ovaries to enlarge and as such should not be ignored.

Ovaries could be enlarged due to tumors, cysts or other problematic reasons. They could also be responsible for reduced fertility and if enlarged ovaries are detected they should not be ignored.

Hrivera5
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 2:18 AM

I just wanted to say I am sorry, and I hope you get good news when you go for a follow up!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)