Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fragile X

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:27 PM
  • 6 Replies

My husbands brother has Fragile X syndrome.We have been actively trying for our FIRST for 4 months. I know its nearly impossiable for my husband to pass it on but I can't help but worry that he will or that it is causing problems with us being able to get pregnant...I guess i just need some words of encouragement.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
HopefulTTC
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with Fragile X syndrome.  But what I can say is that you should try to be as positive as possible... I can imagine that it's probably a little scary to think that it COULD be passed on to your child and I know it's frustrating that the syndrome could be the reason you aren't getting pregnant.  But just try to remain positive and keep doing what you are doing. :)  Have you spoke with a doctor regarding your concerns?

Best of luck to you!!

HopefulTTC

forever_case
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:01 AM

We are military and the hospital we have on post isnt very good (they dont even have an ER eeek) It took three months to get in just to get birthcontrol when I was 17...I'm 20 now and have been off the pills for over a year. I can just imagine how long it would take to get in for an appointment just to question TTC or even to get a referal to see someone else to ask them.Thanks for the Responce.

Hrivera5
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 2:17 AM

I think that the stress of thinking about what could be passed on is worse than the risk of it actually happening, you know what I mean?  You got to step back and think about the big picture....there may be some slight risk, but you have such a greater chance of having a perfectly healthy baby.  Try to focus on that :)  Good luck to you!

Hrivera5
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 2:24 AM

I just wanted to add...the reason I said to focus on the good is because my husband is an orphan...so we don't even know what's going on on his side of the family.  You can only hope and wish for the good...because you really don't know what is planned for you :)  good luck again!

lovemygirls0407
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Try to ease your mind. I dated a guy whose little boy had Fragile X. And with everything he told me, it is passed from the mother. So try to stay positive, everything will be ok!

forever_case
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Thanks for the encouragement I will try to stay positive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)