Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Couple of Questions

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:48 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have a couple of questions.

The first question has to do with green tea and folic acid.  I read somewhere that green tea may prevent the absorption of folic acid.  How valid is that statement?  With the internet these days, I don't know what are trusted sources and what aren't.  I asked my doc about green tea preventing the absorption of folic acid, and he said that he hasn't heard of that.  

My second question is, how much vitamin B should I be taking?  B6 and B12 and folic acid are all in my prenatal, and the label claims that they're 100% Daily Value for each one.  I'm assuming that's not enough and I'd need a separate Vit B supplement?  And how much?

Thanks in advance.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
violetgirl
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM

BUMP!

busymomwithboys
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

ive always been told that pn are just fine... i take an extra 1000mg of folic acid together with my pn .. i also take extra calcuim and vD since milk doesnt sit well with me lately.  green tea can affect how your body absorbs folic acid thats all i know about it

violetgirl
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Thank you.  Just in case, I've been taking extra folic acid at night, and just green tea in the morning.

Quoting busymomwithboys:

ive always been told that pn are just fine... i take an extra 1000mg of folic acid together with my pn .. i also take extra calcuim and vD since milk doesnt sit well with me lately.  green tea can affect how your body absorbs folic acid thats all i know about it

trewlove
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I have heard this too but I think it might be a rumor. I am just not sure. From the books I read based on studies, some research seemed to indicate that green tea was GOOD for fertility, other research showed it had no effect. I did not read any research that it was harmful.

The best thing to do when looking online is to find an article that actually sites research saying this. In the meantime I would suggest having your green tea at a separate time of day from when you take your vitamins. When do you usually drink it?

For the B vitamin. I take a high dose B-vitamin and my Naturopathic Doctor told me to take twice the dosage. High doses of B vitamins can be very beneficial for many different types of health issues. I take a full B-Complex, when I was shopping it for it I looked for one that had at least 50 mg of B6.

B Vitamins are water soluble, so any that your body cannot use, it will flush out. In order to maximize its use then, you should take it at a seperate time from when you take your prenatal so that if your body wants more later in the day, it will get it. So for example you might take your prenatal after breakfast and your B-Vitamin after lunch or with an afternoon snack.

Group Mod

violetgirl
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:23 PM

That helps a lot - thank you so much!

Quoting trewlove:

I have heard this too but I think it might be a rumor. I am just not sure. From the books I read based on studies, some research seemed to indicate that green tea was GOOD for fertility, other research showed it had no effect. I did not read any research that it was harmful.

The best thing to do when looking online is to find an article that actually sites research saying this. In the meantime I would suggest having your green tea at a separate time of day from when you take your vitamins. When do you usually drink it?

For the B vitamin. I take a high dose B-vitamin and my Naturopathic Doctor told me to take twice the dosage. High doses of B vitamins can be very beneficial for many different types of health issues. I take a full B-Complex, when I was shopping it for it I looked for one that had at least 50 mg of B6.

B Vitamins are water soluble, so any that your body cannot use, it will flush out. In order to maximize its use then, you should take it at a seperate time from when you take your prenatal so that if your body wants more later in the day, it will get it. So for example you might take your prenatal after breakfast and your B-Vitamin after lunch or with an afternoon snack.

violetgirl
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Sorry, it just dawned on me that you had asked a question.  I'm still really nauseous from my trigger shot, so my brain isn't working too well.  LOL.

I drink my tea in the morning with my breakfast, and I take my prenatal vitamins about an hour after that with whole milk or water.

Quoting trewlove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)