• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I ask my Dr....my clomid vs femara list, anything else you ladies want to add?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:43 PM
  • 7 Replies

I made a post earlier about seeing my dr tomorrow, and have been doing research the last few months about fertility pills because I will probably need them, due to my PCOS....so are there any other questions or concerns I should relay to my Dr?

Here is the list I made and am taking with me

Clomid vs Femara. - before taking either have a blood test and Ultrasound done prior to taking, if taken while pregnant has a VERY high chance of birth defects for both.

Clomid- Hot flashes, nausea and vomiting, migraines (which I already get debilitating ones), ohss (ovaries could rupture), creates hostile cervical mucus, thins the lining of the uterus, stays in the body longer so there is a higher chance of birth defects, higher hormone level than femara, generally causes women to ovulate but prevents them from conceiving due to the condition of cervical mucus, which kills sperm and the thin uterin lining which gives the egg nothing to latch onto.

Femara- Been proven to work on women with PCOS better than Clomid, fewer side effects, does NOT alter cervical mucus or uterus lining, expelled from the body almost as quickly as it was absorbed.

I am also going to let her know I had a cycle on Feb 19th and March 29th which was very odd to have 2 cycles in less than 5 months, been taking pre natals since jan, I do not believe I ovulated in March, (I use OPK's), and DH and I had an ectopic pregnancy in July of 2009.....anything else I should ask my Dr??? I realy want to get the most of this appt tomorrow, I hope she is ready!!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mrs.Arney
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:48 PM

BUMP!

txcandy13
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:02 PM

I am on clomid right now and have used it 3 times now. it does not seem like its doing much of anything. my last dose was 200mg. i am going to see about getting on femara, heard that there is less side effects. Good luck.

Mrs.Arney
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Yah I am going to tell my Dr that I am pretty much against clomid due to the fact that it kills sperm and makes your uterus practically unliveable for an egg....and the side effects are not worth enduring if it doesnt work. Good luck with the femara!

Quoting txcandy13:

I am on clomid right now and have used it 3 times now. it does not seem like its doing much of anything. my last dose was 200mg. i am going to see about getting on femara, heard that there is less side effects. Good luck.

elisajenise
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM

HOLY SMOKES!! Clomid sounds so bad for you!! Has it worked for anyone? I had no idea it had so many side effects! I wonder how often women get them?

Mrs.Arney
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Yah thats what i said when i did the research, I was shocked! I hear the side effects are awful and it is very difficult to get preg on Clomid, But Femara I have heard great things! There is a small chance of multiples, but hey bring it on!!! lol

Quoting elisajenise:

HOLY SMOKES!! Clomid sounds so bad for you!! Has it worked for anyone? I had no idea it had so many side effects! I wonder how often women get them?

olivejuicebby
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I'm not really sure that I have anything to add to your amazing list ;) But I did want to say good luck to you again. Let us know how the appointment goes! *Hugs*

chelleybeans
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I used Clomid to get pregnant w/ my son. It took 2 rounds of 50mg. The side effects suck, but IMO they are worth it.

I don't have anything else to add about asking at the  appointment. Just ask them what their recomendations are and what plan they may see you doing and then talk through it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)