Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Six months of trying

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:05 AM
  • 13 Replies

My husband and I are keeping our TTC secret from everyone.  We've been trying for six months now, and still no luck.  I have no reason to believe either of us has fertility problems.  We are both under 30, healthy (we're both a little overweight, but we do eat well) and my cycles are perfect. I ovulated exactly halfway through my cycles and my period comes on the 27th day.  Now I wonder if we should go to a doctor to get checked out, since we've done everything right for six months and still no luck.  What would/have you do/done in our situation?  Like many of you, we are very anxious to have our first child and we are both very disappointed that it is not as easy as one would expect.  Both of our siblings had babies last year, out of wedlock, by accident, so we are finding it extremely difficult to see them so happy with their babies while we can't even seem to make one on purpose. 

Has anyone here freaked out at 6 months of trying but was able to conceive shortly thereafter?  Any ideas about what we should do?  Any help would be greatly appreciated since, as I mentioned, nobody knows we are TTC.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Hey honey,

I know exactly how you feel.  I have had unexplained infertilty with my first son (took us nearly 3 years for him) and we are coming up to a year for #2.   I know most doctors won't really do much unless you have been trying for a year or more, but it is definitely worth a shot.  Just make sure you read your insurance policy well to see what they will and will not cover.

But I know how painful it is.  Even though we have one, we are trying for a sibling.  My SIL got pregnant (by accident, she's older, etc) so it just pains me that I probably won't be able to attend her baby shower because of my emotions. 

I sure hope that you are able to get a BPF much quicker than we did .

sbell719
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Hey, I just wanted to let you know, on average, it takes a perfectly healthy couple 8 months to conceive. Your doctor probably will not do anything until it has been a year of trying. I wish you the best of luck! And lots of baby dust!

crzemom
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:16 AM

gl baby dust and try bedding in the morning too

momof3inTN
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM

We have kept our TTC a secret as well. Neither of us wants to deal with the "don't you have enough already???" questions. My oldest 2 were actually conceived while I was on the pill. My youngest, 3, was the first time we actually tried and we were pregnant within 2 months of trying.

This time around, we're in the 10th cycle of TTC and still nothing (but that may change as I'm in the 2ww right now).

I know many doctors don't want to interfere before a full year of TTC but I would talk to your doctor about it anyway.He/she may have some suggestions/ideas.

Good luck! You aren't alone.

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers
Michelle030407
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Has HE been tested?  Usually they want 1 full year of trying before calling infertility.  It took us 6 years with our first.  It turned out to be me much to our surprise.  Even the RE was surprised since I don't have any typical PCOS traits except the hormone issues they found through bloodwork and TV U/S.

Lilypie Breastfeeding Tickerdrinking

Hrivera5
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I felt the same way at 5 and 6 months of trying....my cycles were right on time, I felt like I was doing everything right and I was wondering how much longer!  I got pregnant after 7 months of trying :)  Just keep at it!  Good luck!

candcsmom2008
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Try OPK and temping, and BD every other day when you are not on AF. GL MOMMA

i.heart.rachel
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Can you get your husband tested? How often do you guys BD when ovulating? Don't do it every day.

Ask me how I can help turn your daughter into a PRINCESS!

Tangie1118
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Going to the doc might give you some piece of mind, even if everything checks out.  I can't speak for myself because I am far from normal, but a friend of mine, her and her DH did the recommended 6 months, then went to the doc and his sperm count was low, but nothing crazy, he just had to make a couple lifestyle changes and then within a couple months they were PG.  So you just never know what could be interfering.  GL to you.  Sending you lots of sticky baby dust : )

imagine102
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

Can you get your husband tested? How often do you guys BD when ovulating? Don't do it every day.

I'd like to get my hubby tested so I'm looking into this further.  We don't actually have any health insurance right now (other than the province insurance we pay into through taxes), so I'm not sure what kind of price we are looking at.  We BD every second day when I'm ovulating. I know every day is not good in case his sperm count is low.

Thanks everyone for the great advice/encouragement.  On this site, it seems that people get pregnant really fast or cannot get pregnant even after months and years of trying, so I find it hard in the middle right now.  I'm going to talk to my hubby this afternoon and we'll discuss going to see the doctor or just trying a couple more months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)