Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Labor Prep Classes??? Yes or No?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:54 PM
  • 10 Replies

So my friend who is a month ahead of me signed up for one and asked if I was taking one. I told her I didn't know and or wasn't planning on it, and just going with the flow when Labor happens. She looked at me like I was crazy! She's like "I'm taking one cause I wanna know whats gonna happen that day, where the nursey is, what the rooms look like, what to expect pretty much, I don't want any surprises." I was like "well yea that would be nice to know to but we haven't discussed it much." I was just thinking, whenever I go into Labor we go to the hospital, check in, get the epidural (if I want it), give birth and thats that. I know no birth plan is ever perfect and things can change on the fly but the doctors know what they are doing. Am I crazy not to take a Labor prep class??? Did any of you mamas take a class? Who didn't? Was it helpful or not helpful??? Was it worth it? I'm 24 wks now due Oct 2nd so I have at least another month or 2 to take a class if I should.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM

I took the birthing classes that the hospital offered and I found them pretty helpful. They went over everything that would happen, the different stages of labor, the pain meds, and actually really focused on natural pain management.They also teach your DH how to help coach you and let them know what to expect. We toured the L&D unit  and the mother and baby unit. Our teacher also taught breastfeeding classes too, which I took and loved. This pregnancy I am taking the Bradley Method classes, because I wanted to do that the first time around, but since DH was deployed until I was 30 weeks it did not work out for us. I would advise looking into them or at least reading some books on what to expect. Also tour the unit, your hospital should offer them.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Nope. I didn't. I just let my body do what it's made to do. First two were not born in the hospital, and the only reason my last one was, was because we were living with my mom at the time, and she wasn't comfortable with me not in the hospital.  Last baby never went to the nursery and I only got there in time to push, so there really weren't any surprises. :)  Women have been giving birth for thousands of years. Your body knows what it is suppose to do. 

Hypno babies is a good book to read if your worried about pain. It helps a lot. 

by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I took them and ugh.. It was the whole day class... SO BORNING.... good info but I won't do it again. I would say yes if you have never been there, just don't do the 6 week thing.. Ugh.. One day was enough.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM

i didnt take them.  i watched alot of discovery health.  i dont think it would of made much difference if i would of taken them. 

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:32 PM
I took the class and it was sooo boring. Not to mention most of the stuff they taught went out the window when I ended up having a c section. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I don't think your crazy in the least! I watched a video ( which was great but for the life of me I can't rmember the name of it), read tons of books and knew my options. Apart from that, the nurses will coach you through what you need to do. In hind sight, I'm glad I didn't pay for th classes since I ended up with a c-section!

You can do hospital tours with out a birth your L&D floor and ask when their next one is.

Good luck!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:36 PM

i think its best for first time moms to do the class but i mean come on if you have had a kid already you know what to expect.its totally up to you mama, but i mean i didnt take the class my son was 8wks early and my water broke while i was driving my ex husband to work. good luck!!

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Thanks so much ladies for your imput!!! Yea I was on the fence about everything but yea I've watched  videos, discovery Health and read alot about my options and pain meds. I will definitely ask my hospital about L&D tours so I get a feel for what to expect. I wasn't really interested in the classes because I  just kinda figured my body will do what its ment to do and the doctors will help with everything. My friend was the one who kept talking about how it was a good idea etc etc. So yea thats why I was like "umm should I really take this?" I've signed and read papers about C-Sections and Normal birth at my last appointment and they had me sign the consent or whatever forms stating I knew the procedures and risks. I also didn't wanna bore DH with information that may or may not be used in the Delivery room (aka, Emergency C Section) or whatever else could happen. Well not bore him but overwhelem him with all the information. I'm gonna try to talk to DH more about this later and see what he thinks. Thanks ladies for your imput!!!!

by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 10:43 AM

You have already signed papers regarding c-sections and all? I havent seen any paper work regarding labor yet... Emergency or not.. Hmm..

Anyways, interesting that I ran into your post this morning because I had just called yesterday to set up my Lamaze classes, finally.

I was really interested in taking the class because they teach so much more than just labor stuff. I am a first time parent and have NO idea what to expect. I am edgy about labor and I worry a lot about what if something goes wrong. So having this class might be a good idea for me, personally.

I know that my DH is really looking forward to this class. Even though he was there when his first child was born, he didnt do very much as his mother was very controlling. He wants to know all the possibilities that COULD happen. He said it would be better to know what may or may not happen instead of not. Even though we watch a lot of TV birthing shows, its just not the same.

Good luck deciding! Just dont wait til the last minute like I did. Now I am 28 weeks and have a high chance of delivering while taking the classes. But thats fine too! My classes start in July and go through Aug.

Good luck Mama!

Finally Pregnant with my First! Justin C. Thomsen Jr. is growing so fast!

by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I took the class with my first and it helped me relax about the where everything was and such. At my hospital we also have to take a separate epidural class, that is required if you even think you want an epidural. So, I'll only be taking that one this time.

Never hurts to have more info and opinions/options laid out... :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)