Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introduction.. and question..

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:56 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hey guys,

My name is Danielle and I wanted to give some back story before I asked my question (or questions technically).  I am one of those "short n large" women (230lbs) and I've had period issues pretty much my entire life.  I started my period first when I was 11 and I have yet to be actually regular.  I can go up to 4-5 months without a period.  I went to the gyne a while back for hormone treatment and she prescribed me a bunch of over the counter stuff that really didn't do anything for me.  I really want to go back to the dr (finally have insurance again as of this month) and tell her to get me on something that will help regulate my period but will not be a form of birth control.  Oh and the only time I have been regular was through bc. 

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2.5 years, almost a 1.5 years of it we have been trying to have a baby!  I know weight is an issue, as it is in alot of cases.  Yet, I have 4 friends and several relatives who are much larger than me and have had many children!  Also, to add to the stress, the boyfriend is gone alot (truck driver) so it is very hard to make sure we are able to attempt to conceive during ovulation.  Obviously, everything seems to be stacked against us.  I guess my question is, any ideas???  I don't know what to do, where to start, or how we can expedite the process.  My grandmother, (who is the only grandparent in our entire family put together) is not quite on the death bed but I have wanted so badly to give her a chance to see and be with my baby.. I feel so alone and horrible that I can provide that!  This is by far not the only reason we are trying, but it is a good reason for us to get more motivated...

Has anyone been in this situation?  Any ideas on what I should tell the doctor, what i could take or do to help?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ncbirdie
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM

What all have you tried?  The first thing I would recommend is to start charting if you're not already.  It may take a lot of time because you aren't regular, but at least you'd definitively see when you're ovulating.  However, with the future daddy away that much (I completely understand because my dad drives all 48 states) it makes it really difficult to jump on it when it does happen.

I would also recommend talking with an herbalist.  There are many herbs out there that are primarily used for women's reproductive systems.  I recently spoke with my midwife about natural ways to lengthen my luteal phase (they've been exceptionally short since my miscarriage).  She told me that red clover, nettles, and red raspberry leaf are all regulators and nourishers of the reproductive system and she recommened a daily light tea.

A healthy diet will help as well.  Eating fresh/raw food versus frozen, canned, or otherwise processed foods helps.  Making sure you take a multivitamin to insure you're getting the nutrients you need helps.  Exercise.  All of these are known to help regulate cycles.

mrs.autry21
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:28 PM

BUMP

vkp23
by Virginia on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:41 PM

OH Honey, you are my twin!  I too am over weight. (Around 270 lbs. now) and have had messed up cycles since I was a kid.  The only difference is that BC messed me up worse.  Has your doctor tested you for anything?  My doc tested me for everything including my thyroid and for PCOS.  He came up with nothing.  Nothing explains why I'm so messed up other than a hormone issue, which sadly my doc told me there isn't much if anything they can do about it other than BC.  And like I said with me, I can't take it.  Besides if you want to get pregnant then you shouldn't be taking BC anyway.  The only help I can give you is to do like the PP said.  Find some herbs that might help.  Even if it seems like they don't help at first keep taking them.  Try to add some exercise.  Even if you don't lose weight, it will still help you to be healthier.  That may help quite a bit.  Chart.  But I know how you feel.  My cycles are 6-8 weeks long with 2-3 week long periods.  Just keep trying and stay active.  Active in all ways possible.  It will happen if there is nothing else wrong with you.  It may take a while but it will happen.  It took us a year with #1 and 18 months with #2.  But we didn't give up hope and kept trying.  Now we are trying for #3.  The is the first month actively trying, but we've been having unprotected sex since our youngest was born 19 months ago.  Keep your chin up and GOOD LUCK!!

I am a conservative, gun loving, PRO-LIFE no exceptions, ANTI-CIO, semi-co-sleeping, clinically depressed, government hating, plus sized, let my kids have junk food, obsessed with my hubby who is my first and only (and vise verse), Christian, Homeschooling, Chicken loving, SAHM, shop-aholic, breast feeding and formula feeding kinda mommy! Check out my youtube on chickens and simple living!  http://www.youtube.com/tpfastback 

Visit my chicken group HERE

LilyBeansMom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Thanks for introducing yourself!  I'm sure you can find lots of help and support from the great women here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)