• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I ovulate too late in my cycle to conceive?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM
  • 37 Replies

I've tried to look online but got mixed reviews. Would someone mind helping me understand CD and Days of Ovulation.

My AF started on the 4th of June.  It ended on June 11th.  I got a positive on my opk June 24th that morning and in the evening evening and took one again the morning of 25 was still positive.  I took it 25th afternoon evening and it was negative. 

Month of May I had AF on the 3rd and ended on the 10th not sure when I ovulated then cause I wasn't testing around the right time.

When should I be saying my CD starts is it on the AF day or day after? Same with ovulation.

Also what I am concerned with is because I ovulate late is this mean that I may not be able to conceive? 

I am unable to get in to the Dr. until July 8th.  Any help would be much appreciated.:)

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dani41780
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Ok, how long are ur cycles? What CD do  u think u O?
if ur luteal phase is short there are things you can take to lengthen it, I've heard its hard to get pregnant with a short luteal phase

Dani41780
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM

THE day of AF is CD1

stacyevo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:42 PM

the day you start bleeding is cd1, when you get a positive opk you will ovulate 24 to 48 hours later. you dont ovulate too late to concieve...lol...if you ovulate, you can concieve. dont stress, relax and have a good time while ttc. good luck to you:)

Dani41780
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:44 PM

I've heard some ladies complain that the time from the day they O to the time they start a new cycle is to short and they take something to make it longer.. they have trouble conceiving until they lengthen it

Quoting stacyevo:

the day you start bleeding is cd1, when you get a positive opk you will ovulate 24 to 48 hours later. you dont ovulate too late to concieve...lol...if you ovulate, you can concieve. dont stress, relax and have a good time while ttc. good luck to you:)

stacyevo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Quoting Dani41780:

I've heard some ladies complain that the time from the day they O to the time they start a new cycle is to short and they take something to make it longer.. they have trouble conceiving until they lengthen it

Quoting stacyevo:

ive read that they take vitamin b6

sunkisses4u
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM

yes thats what Ive been reading as well.  At first I was so excited that I FINALLY figured out that I was ovulating.  Then I read up on it to see if its normal for that to happen.  Then I relized that I think I only have a 10 Luteal Phase, but if I am ovulating 24-48 hours after my positive then I am probly only having a 7-8 day Luteal Phase.

Quoting Dani41780:

Quoting stacyevo:

sunkisses4u
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:52 PM

I am taking a prenatal vitamin.  Do you think its ok to take an additional Vitamin B6?

Quoting stacyevo:

Quoting Dani41780:

Quoting stacyevo:

ive read that they take vitamin b6

MrsK34
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I found some good info here....

http://www.webwomb.com/luteal_phase_frame_page.htm

I hope it helps!  I just learned a thing or two myself!

ncbirdie
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Cycle starts the first day you start to have bright red blood.  Any spotting or brown blood (old blood) is considered part of your previous cycle. 

When you ovulate has nothing to do with your ability to conceive.  You need a viable egg, viable sperm, and a thick uterine lining it can attach to.

What you're concerned about is a short luteal phase.  Inside the ovary, each egg has its own shell called a "follicle".  Whenever the egg bursts out of the follicle, it becomes the corpus luteum.  The corpus luteum produces progesterone which prevents other eggs from erupting, causes the uterine lining to thicken and sustain itself until the corpus lutem disintegrates, and causes your temp to rise, cervix to return to an infertile state, and cervical fluid to dry up.  The corpus luteum has a finite lifespan, usually 12-16 days, and rarely varies more than a day (shorter or longer).  This time frame is called the luteal phase (LP).

Since it usually takes around 7-10 days for the egg to reach the uterus and implant, a short LP can be problematic.  A short LP is defined as anything under 10 days.  When the egg implants, it also puts out progesterone as well as HCG.  As long as progesterone is in your system, your uterine lining will stay thick and fully attached to the walls.  If your LP is short, the lining starts shedding before the egg has a chance to implant.

The best way to determine the length of your LP is to chart.  For the past year, my LP has been 13 days.  In Feb, I got pregnant again.  I miscarried in April.  Since then, my LPs have been short.  First one was 8 days and this last one was 7.  Had I been trying to get pregnant again right away, it wouldn't have happened.

sunkisses4u
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:58 PM

yah that is one of the websites I looked at that kind of concerned me.  I was hoping someone was maybe the same as me but had success in TTC.

Thanks for looking up the info though:)

Quoting MrsK34:

I found some good info here....

http://www.webwomb.com/luteal_phase_frame_page.htm

I hope it helps!  I just learned a thing or two myself!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)