Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crazy MIL

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:53 PM
  • 6 Replies

I thought I would share a story, of my MIL.

Here's a little background, it was at Christmas, before me and DH decided to take the TTC journey. But my BIL and SIL (DH brother), had TTC with fertility shots, without success. They have been through the ringer with their TTC journey. Strained their marriage for a while, SIL went through pain, moods, temp changes, broken heart from it not working...etc...

At Christmas DH's cousin and his 2 kids were supposed to come to visit, they decided not to. When me and SIL got there we noticed a rocking horse under the tree. We figured it was for DH's cousin's kids.

FIL says, "Did you see what my crazy wife bought, she bought that rocking horse for our grandkids."

I was petrified for my SIL and BIL, I'm just sitting there thinking, "What a psycho, and a B!!!!, do you know what they have been through?!!!. They went through all that and you do something like this!! A horse for grandkids that don't exist and may never exist!!"

Needless to say SIL and me ate quietly and went out for a drink after that awkward dinner.

Thought I would share. Anyone with people around that don't understand what you are going through. You are not alone. And I pray that no one is buying presents for babies that aren't even convcieved yet.

PS, That darn horse is still sitting in her living room!

thbabybelly-1.gif TTC image by marriedsBlinkiesttc1-1.gif TTC #1 image by TDockter_2008happily-married.png happily married image by kellyp1411

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
strawberryLVR
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:07 AM

I am not sure how this is offensive. The grandma to me is just showing her support and hope for grandkids. My friend got a stroller from her MIL not long after she'd gotten married and the mil said "you will need it eentually" and my friend cannot get pregnant. but she was not offended. she has since started to do foster care to adopt. I'm just not seeing how the rocking chair is such a huge rude deal

mrschelley1219
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Quoting strawberryLVR:

I am not sure how this is offensive. The grandma to me is just showing her support and hope for grandkids. My friend got a stroller from her MIL not long after she'd gotten married and the mil said "you will need it eentually" and my friend cannot get pregnant. but she was not offended. she has since started to do foster care to adopt. I'm just not seeing how the rocking chair is such a huge rude deal

I felt bad for my SIL, this really offended her. She had just been through so much pain and anguish, almost lost her marriage, and then has it all thrown back in her face. BIL had a rough time with it too, he has low number of baby making boys, that was really hard for him to deal with. 

I guess I could add that everytime they see them, even to this day, the in-laws ask when they are going to give them a grandbaby. It's just rude knowing how hard it is for someone who may never have a baby, to be pestered about it all the time.

I am glad your friend has a good attitude about stuff like that, I just know how my SIL is defeated about not having children. It is a hard thing to deal with.

thbabybelly-1.gif TTC image by marriedsBlinkiesttc1-1.gif TTC #1 image by TDockter_2008happily-married.png happily married image by kellyp1411

SachaN
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 2:03 AM
I can see how it's offensive. I think that's horrible. It would be funny as a joke only if they hadn't been trying so hard. Like throwing candy in a diabetics face. Saying here ya go, I know you want it but can't have it. My MIL tests me but luckily not like that. Is this woman crazy? Has anyone told her how badly it upset them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
J.Norman
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:18 AM

I can understand. That was rude espically if MIL knew that they may never have a child.

CuppyCake333
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:31 AM

wow thats horrible :( that must of really hurt her feelings!!!

RachelandSamie
by Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:39 AM

Some people just dont understand how hard TTC can be on you when month after month you get  BFN. It's very depressing and for someone to pretty much just throw that in your face like you can just snap your fingers and get pregnant is incredibly disrespectful. That was just so horrible of her and honestly I probably would have given it away!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)