Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

could a pregnancy test be wrong?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:50 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have a beautiful 2 year old girl that I am so proud of.  Now, I have been trying to conceive for almost a year to have a second baby.  In October 2009, I was 9 1/2 weeks along when I miscarried what would've been another baby girl.  In January 2010, I was 6 1/2 weeks along when I lost my set of twins. On 8/7/10, I had the IUI procedure.  Twelve days later, I went in for the blood test to see if I was pregnant.  The blood test came back negative.  I should have gotten my period four days ago.  Nothing yet.  My breasts feel fuller.  I am wondering if maybe the blood test was wrong.  Has anyone had their blood test come back negative but they were pregnant.  A little background.  I have PCOS, so my periods are very few and far between unless I am taking Clomid.  When I take the Clomid, my periods come when they are supposed to.  Maybe I am just hoping beyond hope for a little miracle.

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Hey,

It depends.  If they tested too early, they could be wrong, but the blood tests can pick up the faintest amount of hcg so its not likely that it was wrong.

If you have PCOS, I bet you are experiencing symptoms from that unfortunately.  Just keep talking to your OB/GYN and RE and they will get you situated.

I am currently taking Prometrium to prevent miscarriage due to low progesterone levels.  It sounds like you may need something like that too.

Good luck honey :)

ncbirdie
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM

It really depends.  If you implanted late (11 or 12 days past ovulation) it might be.  It wouldn't have picked up.  Plus, if they simply did a qualitative test instead of a quantitative, it might come back negative as well if the levels were still low.  Technically, a woman can have extremely low levels of hcg in their system (below 5mIU/mL) and not be pregnant.  Levels at 6 or higher would be considered pregnant.  But, depending on the sensitivity of the qualitative test, you might get a negative when you are in fact pregnant.  Good luck to you.  If you still don't get AF in a few days, you may wish to get an HPT.

Photo6555
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I have been taking the prometrium both times that I had conceived, but still lost my babies.  After the insemination, my re had me take prometrium twice a day starting two days after the IUI procedure.  The blood test said my hcg levels were 2.5.  I will wait a few more days and see what happens.  If nothing happens, I will get a hpt.  I just don't know how much more I can take.  Thanks!

nicki.hemingway
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I had negative blood tests until I was 6 weeks along with my son.  I'll cross my fingers for you.

lind.shep
by Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 3:28 PM
I had a blood test done and it came back negative. Turns out I was pregnant, they ran the qualitative and it was too early. When I went in for my first appointment, they tried telling me I wasn't pregnant until they did the u/s :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Photo6555
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:05 PM

This gives me hope.  I am walking around on pins and needles.  Afraid to do anything too strenuous just in case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)