Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trigger shots and other womanhood questions for all!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:21 AM
  • 6 Replies

What is a trigger shot and why is it used  in some women who take fertility drugs orally and not others?   I noticed some women who take clomid get a trigger shot, Why? 

Next,  Cramping.... where do you usually feel cramping at in regards to the ovaries?  It is lower just above your legs to the right or left, is it higher like just below your rib cage?  Or kind between those two spots? 

I found an interesting fact for those os you who take fertility drugs orally, I medically dispensed fact sheet on OHSS said the rarely if EVER OHSS is cause by oral fertility meds...  I dont know about the rest of you but for women who sometimes ovulate on their own or have irregular cycles this is quite the relief!  :) 

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Hey,

What is OHSS?

MissMel82680
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Ovarian Hyper stimulation Syndrome :)

Mipsy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:25 PM

A trigger shot FORCES ovulation. Some women have good follicles (meaning their eggs are mature enough that they should release on their own) but they don't release so they give them a trigger shot to force the body to release it.

What we do in my case is I have an ultrasound on cd12 or 13 to check their size. If I don't get a +OPK at home by cd15 then they will give me another ultrasound and if they are big enough for a trigger shot (usually the minimum requirements is 16mm) then they will give me the shot. But my doctors use OPK's and ultrasounds to determine if I need the shot.

When I took my clomid 3yrs ago I did ovulate w/o any shots or anything and conceived my son. So it just depends on what your situation is.

Also, they use trigger shots for those doing IUI I believe so they can fully pinpoint when you ovulate so they can do the IUI at the appropriate and most opportune time.

Mipsy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:27 PM

As for ovulation pain, not everyone feels it. Most women don't. So just because you don't feel pain during ovulation doesn't mean you aren't ovulating.

When I do feel my pain it is low in my tummy and on the corresponding side that I am ovulating (which lately has been my right side)

MissMel82680
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Thanks for sharing Mipsy! 

candcsmom2008
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Trigger shots depend on the Dr.. and as far as cramping mine are right at the hip bone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)