Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clomid and PCOS. If you took Clomid, pls read..gotta question

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:55 AM
  • 15 Replies

I had my General Practice Dr prescribe me Clomid, she admitted she was not knowledgable in fertility issues but she wrote me a prescription anyways. I told her about my TTC support group and that I could probably get my questions answered there lol.

Now my question is...when I was diagnosed with PCOS 7 years ago it was by ultrasound and my OB said he was looking for a "string of pearls" which he found. He said it was eggs that my body released but never matured and were expelled. I know to take Clomid cycle days 3-7 to release more eggs and cycle days 5-9 to mature the ones already there.

It would make sense to me to take my Clomid CD 5-9 but I put a poll up last week on here and most women that had success with Clomid, it was CD 3-7. So, what did your OB have you do?

I am a SAHM to 4 children..Ashlynn (8), SS Logan (9), Phoenix (32 mths), Jonah (23 mths). I am married to my best friend. I enjoy reading Homemaking blogs b/c it encourages me to strive to be the best wife, homemaker and mother I can be. TTC #5, send lots of Baby Dust.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissMel82680
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Under the ok of my Doctor I am taking it cycle days 2-7 50mg, with 100mg on cycle day 5 ( today)  This in theory will help maturity of the existing follicle we hope.  I am not being monitored other wise or by ultrasound for follicle maturity or how many. The doctor does not feel I will be at a high risk for more than one or two mature follicles actually being fertilized. :)    hope that helps.

mama2be1208
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I wish I could be more help. I'm currently going through the same thing, kind of. I was just diagnosed with PCOS this past February.  After months of going to my primary Dr and not getting anywhere, I convinced her to send me to an OBGYN. My appointment was just yesterday and so I'm still trying to sort through everything she told me. From what I can remember ( I haven't filled my prescription yet - I will after work today), I would take it on days 3-7. Since I haven't had a period in so long, she also prescribed me Provera.

TTC1N2010
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I took mine 5-9 and I started that in feb and nothing :(

Mipsy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:31 PM

My OB the first time put me on cd3-7 and I got pregnant. This time my OB did the same thing cuz that is what worked before, but then we found out I was making way too many eggs (and they actually feared and asked me questions in regards to OHSS) so they switched me to 5-9 so I make less eggs but better quality. Honestly, it's better to do with a doctor who knows what they are doing.

gr8momto4
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I know :( But my insurance won't cover fertility help. My husband and I own a barbershop in Nashville, TN and make pretty good money thru out the year but when we do our taxes after all that is deducted/depreciated we are left with 1/3 of what we "made" thru out the year. With that said, my children qualify for state insurance (I still have it from my previous pregnancy) which is WONDERFUL b/c there is NO WAY we could afford private insurance. I feel so stupid going to the Dr. with my "state insurance" asking for help to have another baby but my husband and I pay more into the 'system' now that we own our business than we ever have. I feel like I'm judged when I say we want another baby but yet we're on state insurance. That is the only assistance we receive.

Quoting Mipsy:

My OB the first time put me on cd3-7 and I got pregnant. This time my OB did the same thing cuz that is what worked before, but then we found out I was making way too many eggs (and they actually feared and asked me questions in regards to OHSS) so they switched me to 5-9 so I make less eggs but better quality. Honestly, it's better to do with a doctor who knows what they are doing.

I am a SAHM to 4 children..Ashlynn (8), SS Logan (9), Phoenix (32 mths), Jonah (23 mths). I am married to my best friend. I enjoy reading Homemaking blogs b/c it encourages me to strive to be the best wife, homemaker and mother I can be. TTC #5, send lots of Baby Dust.

candcsmom2008
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I took my clomid both 3-7 and 5-9 and no conception. Best of luck momma

MissMel82680
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM

OMG! Do I ever understand this!!! When Dh and I owned our own business at home we thought WOW we are making all this money this is awesome!!!  But in hind sight hardly!  I think we made on paper 75k, but once we got done paying taxes, business insurance, operation cost and so on and so on the bottom dollar line was like 40k !!!  People think that because you OWN a business you just roll in the $$$  lol  irony at its finest!   ;)

Quoting gr8momto4:

I know :( But my insurance won't cover fertility help. My husband and I own a barbershop in Nashville, TN and make pretty good money thru out the year but when we do our taxes after all that is deducted/depreciated we are left with 1/3 of what we "made" thru out the year. With that said, my children qualify for state insurance (I still have it from my previous pregnancy) which is WONDERFUL b/c there is NO WAY we could afford private insurance. I feel so stupid going to the Dr. with my "state insurance" asking for help to have another baby but my husband and I pay more into the 'system' now that we own our business than we ever have.

Quoting Mipsy:

gr8momto4
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Yes indeed! We "made" $64,000 last year but we only took home $32,000 - it sucks lol

Quoting MissMel82680:

OMG! Do I ever understand this!!! When Dh and I owned our own business at home we thought WOW we are making all this money this is awesome!!!  But in hind sight hardly!  I think we made on paper 75k, but once we got done paying taxes, business insurance, operation cost and so on and so on the bottom dollar line was like 40k !!!  People think that because you OWN a business you just roll in the $$$  lol  irony at its finest!   ;)

Quoting gr8momto4:

I know :( But my insurance won't cover fertility help. My husband and I own a barbershop in Nashville, TN and make pretty good money thru out the year but when we do our taxes after all that is deducted/depreciated we are left with 1/3 of what we "made" thru out the year. With that said, my children qualify for state insurance (I still have it from my previous pregnancy) which is WONDERFUL b/c there is NO WAY we could afford private insurance. I feel so stupid going to the Dr. with my "state insurance" asking for help to have another baby but my husband and I pay more into the 'system' now that we own our business than we ever have.

Quoting Mipsy:

Mipsy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM

*HUGS* I swear I am not trying to judge you or anything by any means! In fact, when my PCOS was diagnosed I was on state insurance (but I went in in regards to no periods, not for TTC but the doctor helped me TTC anyway). It's just hard when you don't have that knowledge to help you out you know? And I know about insurance not doing fertility. We have insurance through DH's work and they will only cover diagnostic testing and beyond that, it's all up to us! IT SUCKS!!!! What is the point of insurance, you know???? UGH! *HUGS* So I promise, I didn't mean anything bad by it. I just know how I felt when first put on it and my doctor just said "call me in three months if you're not pregnant" and you feel lost and so now I am so blessed to have OBs who actually care and are involved. *HUGS* I worry all the time that ppl judge us for TTC with my sons health issues. I think I am just nutty though, LOL, but I understand how you feel about feeling like others judge. And I swear I was so NOT doing that! :D

Quoting gr8momto4:

I know :( But my insurance won't cover fertility help. My husband and I own a barbershop in Nashville, TN and make pretty good money thru out the year but when we do our taxes after all that is deducted/depreciated we are left with 1/3 of what we "made" thru out the year. With that said, my children qualify for state insurance (I still have it from my previous pregnancy) which is WONDERFUL b/c there is NO WAY we could afford private insurance. I feel so stupid going to the Dr. with my "state insurance" asking for help to have another baby but my husband and I pay more into the 'system' now that we own our business than we ever have. I feel like I'm judged when I say we want another baby but yet we're on state insurance. That is the only assistance we receive.

Quoting Mipsy:

gr8momto4
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I didn't mean to come off as sounding judged by YOU, I was just meaning in general. I'm sorry if I didn't clarify that. I didn't feel judged by you at all. Thank you for your help and answers to my crazy questions :) Oh and I totally know what you mean by being judged for the health issue as well. Our last son was born with Hirschsprungs, it is a deadly disease correctable thru surgery. He had a life saving surgery at 7 days old. Hirschsprungs is typically hereditary but in his case, he just had bad luck. However, now that we have 1 child with the disease we have a 8-10% chance of having another child with it. He doesn't suffer from it anymore and is a healthy thriving child. He was hospitalized 4 times in his first year, aside from the NICU and surgery.

Quoting Mipsy:

*HUGS* I swear I am not trying to judge you or anything by any means! In fact, when my PCOS was diagnosed I was on state insurance (but I went in in regards to no periods, not for TTC but the doctor helped me TTC anyway). It's just hard when you don't have that knowledge to help you out you know? And I know about insurance not doing fertility. We have insurance through DH's work and they will only cover diagnostic testing and beyond that, it's all up to us! IT SUCKS!!!! What is the point of insurance, you know???? UGH! *HUGS* So I promise, I didn't mean anything bad by it. I just know how I felt when first put on it and my doctor just said "call me in three months if you're not pregnant" and you feel lost and so now I am so blessed to have OBs who actually care and are involved. *HUGS* I worry all the time that ppl judge us for TTC with my sons health issues. I think I am just nutty though, LOL, but I understand how you feel about feeling like others judge. And I swear I was so NOT doing that! :D

Quoting gr8momto4:

Quoting Mipsy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)