Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

How to increase progesterone ..(helps to prevent MC)

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2010 at 1:19 PM
  • 5 Replies

Foods That Naturally Increase Progesterone

By Juniper Russo Tarascio, eHow Contributor
updated: July 10, 2010
Foods that can increase progesterone
Foods that can increase progesterone
big and small walnuts on walnut leaves image by Maria Brzostowska from Fotolia.com

Very few foods contain hormone compounds that are bioidentical to human progesterone. However, many women have successfully overcome fertility problems, high-risk pregnancy, and hormonal imbalances like polycystic ovarian disease using foods that naturally increase progesterone levels.

Plant Progesterones

1. Wild yam is famous for containing hormone-like compounds that are very similar to progesterone, and it may encourage the body's own production of the hormone. Bear in mind that the sweet potato, a different vegetable, does not contain these compounds. In the United States, soft sweet potatoes are typically labeled as yams; the government does require the label to also say sweet potato, so read carefully.
  2. True Progesterone

3. Egg yolks and dairy products both contain respectable amounts of true progesterone, but it is not known how directly they interact with the human body's own progesterone stores.
  4. Foods with Vitamin B-6

5. Walnuts, whole grains, fortified cereals, and soy milk all contain large amounts of vitamin B-6, which may be essential for maintaining ideal estrogen-progesterone balance.
  6. Foods Containing Zinc

7. Zinc is thought to be essential to producing adequate levels of progesterone, so high-zinc foods like red meat, shellfish, chicken and turkey can all increase progesterone levels.
  8. Culinary Herbs

9. Turmeric, found in curry, can increase the body's progesterone levels, as can thyme and oregano. Including one of these in every meal may help to maintain good hormone balance.
progesterone.html#ixzz0yxUoWO4p

This came from :

Love, Tiffany (mommyof3yippey), mommy of three little ones, a Christian, homeschooling, SAHM, FINALLY preggo with number 5, Into Natural things and healthy living, very happily married to an officer and owner of two groups BIG Christian Family and getting BIGGER and Christian Moms TTC Naturally and Pregnant :)

family in the vansmileplaying soccerexpecting baby

by on Sep. 8, 2010 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bren07
by on Sep. 8, 2010 at 1:21 PM

i would b careful about not trying to increase ur progesterone levels unless you need to. it can prevent you from ovulating if you do not need extra progesterone in ur body.

Mommyof3yippey
by on Sep. 8, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Well it's ok to eat after ovulation.....most of theses are foods that people eat anyways...I doubt it would cause harm b/c they have small amounts of components that mainly help our bodies balance hormones.

bbmkfo03
by on Sep. 8, 2010 at 1:37 PM

What about taking vit-B and/or zinc supplements after ovulation? Would that help?

Bren07
by on Sep. 8, 2010 at 1:51 PM

really unless you have a short LP or a history of m/c you should just eat healthy and take regular prenantal vits...increasing ur progesterone levels can also lengthen ur LP...

Progesterone and it’s role in getting pregnant.

Progesterone

Progesterone is produced by the corpus luteum and is essential for building and maintaining a lining of the uterus into which the fertilized egg can implant and continue to grow. Progesterone levels increase after ovulation and hence make the women more fertile. Although under ideal conditions it sometimes works as a contraceptive, progesterone is also, conversely, used in some fertility therapies.

Progesterone rises in the blood following ovulation, peaks on days 5-9, and then declines and ideally day 26 should be shortly before a menstrual period. A progesterone level is best timed using a basal body temperature record or an ovulation prediction kit. A peak value of progesterone is above 10 ng/ml.

Progesterone and getting pregnant

An adequate amount of progesterone is crucial to a woman who is trying to become pregnant. That is because, it actually prepares the uterine wall for implantation of the fertilized egg. Insufficient levels of progesterone, or if it is produced for too little time, can mean the egg cannot survive inside the hostile uterine lining. This is known as a defective or inadequate luteal phase or luteal phase defect.

Luteal Phase Defect and progesterone

The luteal phase is the latter half of the menstrual cycle during which the corpus luteum produces progesterone to maintain the endometrial lining of the uterus in the hope of a fertilized egg. When the corpus luteum stops producing progesterone it disintegrates and your period begins. The length of the luteal phase can be observed and ideally it should be longer than about 10 days. A defective luteal phase is when the length of time during which progesterone is produced (i.e. between ovulation and menstruation beginning) is insufficient to allow a fertilized egg to implant as the lining has begun to disintegrate.

Miscarriages and progesterone

If a woman has had four or five miscarriages in the first six or eight weeks of a pregnancy, this is always due to luteal phase failure. Progesterone is needed to facilitate implantation and to prevent rejection of the developing embryo. You should wait till you ovulate, and then four to six days after possible conception do a blood test for hCG to see if you’re pregnant. If you are, start the progesterone; that way you will increase you chance of having a healthy baby.

Ovulatory dysfunction and progesterone

Progesterone treatment can also be used to induce fertility when there appears to be ovulatory dysfunction. A study was performed involving fifty women who had lived with infertility for a minimum of one-and-a-half years. Seventy percent of the women conceived within six months while exclusively using progesterone therapy.
From all the data it seems clear that progesterone offers an options therapy with no risks to the patient and will be likely to benefit those wishing to get pregnant. Additional reports indicate that without progesterone treatment, women with luteal phase defect are at very high risk for spontaneous abortion. Progesterone has been found to be important in maintaining a pregnancy during the early months.
http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/progesterone.html

Quoting bbmkfo03:

What about taking vit-B and/or zinc supplements after ovulation? Would that help?

HI! im a 21yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS and one on the way. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

LilyBeansMom
by on Sep. 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM

All good information!  Thanks - to both of you - for sharing so people can learn more about it.  It's something I really questioned when I finally got my bfp after knowing that my progesterone levels were too low when I miscarried the time before.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)