Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Progesterone to sustain pregnancy...

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM
  • 12 Replies

Went for a checkup last week and my doctor thinks if we get lucky enough to get pregnant that I should take progesterone. I have had 2 m/c and 1 healthy pregnancy in between. She thinks it may help to take it after I test positive. She's never checked my levels it's more due to advanced maternal age I guess. So my question is...has anyone heard of this and how soon do you usually start? I mean should I start testing super early for a chance to start the progesterone sooner? Hmmmm just curious I guess.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmom2be08
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Your post caught my eye as I wonder if I have low progesterone.  We miscarried our second child November 19th.  I usually spot a few days before I get my period too.  I have my yearly appt. tomorrow and plan to ask so many questions.  I wish I had answers for you, but maybe based on what I learn tomorrow, I can share some insight about progesterone and pregnancy.  I'll invite you as a friend and that way we can keep in touch. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Darlah
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Thanks...Good luck tomorrow and I'll be waiting to hear from you!

Momy2beAUG.2009
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I would start testing early so you can get on it asap if you do indeed have an issue.  I am suppose to call my doctor as soon as I get a positive HPT so that we can get my levels checked.  Good luck.

Darlah
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Oh great...an EXCUSE to test early! I need to stock up on tests!

candcsmom2008
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM

LOL  I got my + at 9 DPO and started on Progesterone suppositories right away, they usually will keep you on Progesterone support till 10-13 weeks when the placenta and your body will take over.

I will tell you though..Depending on the Dr some believe it has no bases as far as  taking Progesterone to help sub-stain a PG.. My One Dr put me on them the other told me he thought it was a waste of money and there was no conclusive evidence to support it.. But I will pay whatever it takes to successfully make  it through this PG.. Having 9 M/C I do not think I could handle another one.. Best of luck momma's

Lilypie - (l9Yo)

violetgirl
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM

My doctor recommended that I start taking progesterone starting at 3 dpo, and stop at 14 dpo if I get a BFN or AF (whichever comes first).  If BFP, continue taking until 13 weeks.  However, with month after month after month of BFNs, I felt like taking progesterone every month seemed like a waste, so I stopped taking them.  I decided to just start taking them again once I got my BFP, which I did at 9 dpo and started taking them right away.  But yeah, normally you can take them sooner.  Good luck!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Darlah
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Quoting candcsmom2008:

LOL  I got my + at 9 DPO and started on Progesterone suppositories right away, they usually will keep you on Progesterone support till 10-13 weeks when the placenta and your body will take over.

I will tell you though..Depending on the Dr some believe it has no bases as far as  taking Progesterone to help sub-stain a PG.. My One Dr put me on them the other told me he thought it was a waste of money and there was no conclusive evidence to support it.. But I will pay whatever it takes to successfully make  it through this PG.. Having 9 M/C I do not think I could handle another one.. Best of luck momma's

She seems to think it might help with the Quality of my eggs...says it might help but certainly won't hurt... just hope I get the chance to find out. Thanks for the reply!

CafeMom Tickers
Darlah
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Quoting violetgirl:

My doctor recommended that I start taking progesterone starting at 3 dpo, and stop at 14 dpo if I get a BFN or AF (whichever comes first).  If BFP, continue taking until 13 weeks.  However, with month after month after month of BFNs, I felt like taking progesterone every month seemed like a waste, so I stopped taking them.  I decided to just start taking them again once I got my BFP, which I did at 9 dpo and started taking them right away.  But yeah, normally you can take them sooner.  Good luck!

She didn't mention taking it until after BFP...in the past our problem wasn't getting pregnant but staying pregnant...we are about to start trying again this month after a couple months of a break so I hope we will find out soon!

CafeMom Tickers
Darlah
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:10 AM

BUMP!

corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Hey,

I have to take progesterone for the same reason, but I am only 25 so I know its not due to maternal age.  I typically start the progesterone supplements 3-4 days after ovulation.  I test right when my period should be due (It doesn't show up because of the supplements) and if its negative, I stop the meds and wait 3 days for my period.  

If it were positive, I would continue to take the progesterone until 12 weeks of pregnancy.  Unfortunately, I have yet to even get pregnant so I don't know how much it helps.

Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)