Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TCC While Breastfeeding

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM
  • 5 Replies

I just had my third child in March. We plan to have one more. My husband wants them close together. He wanted to start trying when Rune was 6 months old. I told him I wanted to reach my weight loss goal and be more recovered. I am also breastfeeding. Rune will be a year March 23.

So I now feel physically ready. We are not using any birth control. I have had three periods since I had him so I cant use my "normal method" ovulation prediction, ect to ttc.

My question is, what is the best way to go about ttc while breastfeeding.

My other question is if I do become pregnant can I continue to breastfeed? I was planning on weaning him at a year but I really dont want too now.

Graphic Designing, Work at Home, Tattooed, Nerdy Mama of 3...

Read about it

Diapers & Design

"Ye have enemies? Good, good - that means ye've stood up for something, sometime in thy life..." - Elminster of Shadowdale.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
xtriciax
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM

i think it depends on r body. sme women dry up when get preg some dont

h_minkus
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM

There is a great group on here that I am in called Pregnant and Tandem Breastfeeders here's the link http://www.cafemom.com/group/49297

But to answer your question, yes you can get pregnant while breastfeeding, but it's harder. (And it's harder on your body to produce milk and support a pregnancy, you just have to make sure you are getting enough nutrition, etc)

My recommendation would be to start charting your temperature (www.fertilityfriend.com is a good site) so you can see when your ovulating. Also, keep track of your changes in cervical mucus and even use ovulation predictor kits. All these things help a lot when you don't have a regular period. 

Things that can help conceive while breastfeeding specifically: Encourage sleeping through the night (night wean if you haven't already), and cut back nursing session to at least 5-6 hrs apart. ONLY do these things if you are willing!!! If you want to continue to nurse on demand, do so! It's just a matter of which one you want more- nursing more frequently OR getting pg. It's often close to impossible to do both...but some women get pg by accident while BFing, so you never know...

Nadali
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM
I was not able to ttc while pregnant because I didn't have a period. When I stopped (my daughter self weaned at 14 months), my luteal phase was really short (10 days) so I would recommend you take vitamins to increase ur luteal phase. I think I took B6 but not too sure right now. Also, you can continue to breastfeed once you get pregnant. Good luck!
corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Hey,

Well, unfortunately, its really difficult to TTC while you are breastfeeding. When you are breastfeeding, it produces a hormone called Prolactin, which in high enough levels can cause you to not ovulate (at least regularly).  If you have had 3 periods, though, you might have gotten out of that stage.  

If you notice you are having trouble, I would talk to your doctor about it.  They may want to do hormonal blood panels to make sure all of that is in sync.  If you've had no trouble concieving your others, then you probably wont now.

Good luck!!!

knitbit
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:20 PM
I got pregnant with my second while breastfeeding with no trouble. My oldest was 10.5 mo at the time. It did dry me up and gave me the most horrendous morning sickness when I nursed. My son ended up self weaning at 11.5 mo. I had fully intended to tandem nurse, but it didn't work out for me. I always tell people that want to nurse while pregnant to be prepared for the possibility of weaning. With your little one a year old, it's not such a big deal though.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)