Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No heavy lifting..

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM
  • 10 Replies
What exactly is heavy lifting? I know the obvious..no lifting furniture and all...but what would you say is a good number to use as a weight limit?
My 3 yr old son is 35 pounds, I don't think it's an issue lifting him but my SO said today "Dont be lifting him, he's to heavy for you!" lol..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sherriewlk
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:13 AM
Oh and I'm talking just the normal, average pregnancy...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicturnedMama
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:44 AM

I would ask your doctor. Some say 25 lbs, but I have heard as high as 50 lbs.

nikkip1
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:30 AM

I asked my doctor about this during my last pregnancy and he said what I lift isn't going to hurt the baby and it would just hurt my back. I don't really know if I believe that but I think picking up your little one is probably ok.

violetgirl
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:15 AM

With my first pregnancy, my doctor said not to lift more than 30 pounds.  But with this pregnancy, my doctor said not to lift my son (who his now 25 pounds).

He said that if I HAVE to, I could lift him.  I had to ask, because we were at the mall, and my son got too tired of walking, and I didn't bring the stroller, so I ended up carrying him to the parking lot.  Dr. said it should be fine.  He said it hurts the back more than it hurts the baby.

GabeNGriffsMomi
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:05 AM

ive been told if its something i do on a regular then its ok . that beign said  my 3.5 yr old is almost 40 lbs and my almost 2 yr old is about 33 lbs. i try not to pick up my 3 yr old  at all n im trying to make my 2 yrold walk more- im talkin like in parking lots n stuff  or getting in the car- i normally would carry him cuz hes an explorer and makes getting front point A to B a 15 min ordeal instead of what should take less than like 7 mins..

LilyBeansMom
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I've been told the only risk is that with the relaxin in your system the strain can cause you to injure yourself and be in pain your whole pregnancy - but not that it's dangerous - so to lift only what you can comfortably without straining yourself too much.  I would think you're pretty used to lifting your child so it should be an issue if it doesn't hurt.

jenniferw10
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:52 PM

My doctor told me not to lift more than 20 lbs and that started at 16 weeks. I am now almost 26 weeks.

candcsmom2008
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:15 AM

You know your strength and body. I am 20 weeks I am high risk and on occasion I pick up my DS who is 42 pounds, Just be careful andonly lift when nessisary. Each person is diffrent. GL momma

SrkStrickland
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I think they say over 20 lbs

wonderwomen1
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 2:22 AM

My daughter is 43 lbs and my doctor said to not lift more than that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)