Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC After Mirena

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:32 AM
  • 18 Replies

Hi I am new to the group i am a stay at home mom of three kids; Simon is 4, Samantha is 3, and Madelyn is 22months.  I am currently on Mirena but I have been thinking about taking it out and TTC.  My question is have any of you guys had Mirena or known someone who has and how hard is it to concieve after taking it out?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sydneysmommy1st
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:46 AM

its different for everyone just like its different for everyone who's ttc thats not had it i had it put in beginning of feb 2009 had it taken out dec 17th 2010 (day before my 2yr old 2nd bday lol) the birthday was killing me haha but anyways so im on cycle #4 now and still no luck some women get a bfp the month its taken out some even before a period and some have been trying for yrs some blame the mirena but truth is i do not one bit think it has anything to do w mirena i think if ur gonna have trouble concieving ur gonna have it if not then not has it looks as if its never taken u very long to concieve prior so u might be able to get pregnant immediately some can some cant theres nothing to tell u one way or another how long its gonna take it took me no time one month of trying w my daughter and 3 1/2 yrs and one miscarrige of trying to concieve with my son so all i can say is gl w whatever u decide and every womans body is different im on cycle 4 hoping i dont have to go thru years of this again and ill have a bfp soon but truth is u just never know!

MancusoK08
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I had mirena taken out Sept 27th got a BFP Jan 23rd (unfortunately ended in m/c) my dr. told me it was just a gene/chromosome defect nothing to do with the mirena but I know someone who got preggo 1mth after removal of mirena and had healthy baby boy.

Devious103102
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Hi!  Good luck with everything!  It veries per person. I had a friend that conceived about 5 months after taking it out (then again her husband was deployed those 5 months, lol) and I just had mine removed Dec 9 and got my BFP on Wed (9DPO) and confirmed with a digi on Thur! 

4allmyboys
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I had mine removed in March of 2010. I got my positive in Feb of 2011, so it took us 11 months to conceive. Good luck to you!!!!, and it varies from to person to person. ;)

Amanda_Jeanne
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I had mine put in July 2009 and took it out February 20, 2011. This is our first cycle TTC and I *may* have gotten my BFP yesterday (at 10dpo) so like others said, it all depends on your body. Some women choose to wait a cycle or two for their body to regulate itself or the uterine lining to thicken, but I got a full blown AF about 3 days after mine was out that lasted a week and this first cycle I ovulated late, so it's definitely possible!

73angel
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Welcome to the group. Sorry I do not have any experience with Mirena.

handsNOTfull
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I had mine taken out in Jan 2010, and i 'think" im just now pregnant after trying for over a year! I def blame the mirena for why it has taken so long, I got preg quick with my other 3 children.

so i say get it out asap just incase it does take your body awhile! I also had normal periods while having the mirena in, doc said that was strange but wasnt conserned! i will never get it again though!

DessC
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM

It was hard for me, I had it removed march of last year. Got my first cycle in a year about 2 days after it was removed. It was so heavy that I almost landed in the hospital. After 10 days it finally stopped. I then did not have a cycle for over 16 weeks. I tried metformin because by this time I was diagnosed with PCOS and the met did not work. So in July they put me on provera to induce a period and then gave me clomid. It was successful the first round. I am now 36 weeks along with my third child.

Good Luck mama! After my experience I will never go on an IUD again.

hlbhembree
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Thanks for everyones help I am going to get it taken out and start trying.ttc

azpreemiemom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I disagree with this statement. I have had three children and I have had the Mirena twice. Before the Mirena, I was very regular. Both times I had the Mirena removed, it has taken me several months to get regular and have an adequated period. This past time, my bleeding was sporatic for several months and would start and stop through my whole period, which was very short. The NP at my Drs office said sometimes it takes women a few months to flush out the hormone from the Mirena. Just because the IUD is out does not mean that there isn't any hormones lingering around. I am still fairly irregular, but my periods are getting longer and less erratic. With my last pregnancy, I wasn't able to conceive until I had a regular cycle with normal AF bleeding. I know for a fact that with me, the Mirena has taken me longer to be able to conceive again.

Quoting sydneysmommy1st:

its different for everyone just like its different for everyone who's ttc thats not had it i had it put in beginning of feb 2009 had it taken out dec 17th 2010 (day before my 2yr old 2nd bday lol) the birthday was killing me haha but anyways so im on cycle #4 now and still no luck some women get a bfp the month its taken out some even before a period and some have been trying for yrs some blame the mirena but truth is i do not one bit think it has anything to do w mirena i think if ur gonna have trouble concieving ur gonna have it if not then not has it looks as if its never taken u very long to concieve prior so u might be able to get pregnant immediately some can some cant theres nothing to tell u one way or another how long its gonna take it took me no time one month of trying w my daughter and 3 1/2 yrs and one miscarrige of trying to concieve with my son so all i can say is gl w whatever u decide and every womans body is different im on cycle 4 hoping i dont have to go thru years of this again and ill have a bfp soon but truth is u just never know!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)