Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For all of you expecting or new moms.... this may sound weird but please read..... it may save a baby's life!!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am a nurse and I get hoards of litterature each month in order to keep up to date on nursing trends....  This came across my desk today and I HAD to share. I know this proposal may sound kind of weird but it is DEFINITELY a worthy cause! Please read and find out more information about it!

What Is Breast Milk Donation?  

Breast milk has been proven far more beneficial than formula or cow's milk. However, not all mothers are able to produce or supply breast milk for their premature infants. A donation of your excess breast milk will have a significant impact on the lives of these infants and their families.

Here are five frequently asked questions about breast milk donation:

Why donate?

If you have extra milk, it can be processed into specialty formulations for the nutritional needs of premature infants in neonatal intensive care units. The HELPINGHANDS Milk Bank collects excess breast milk from qualified donors to provide human milk fortifier and standardized human milk processed from 100% human breast milk to babies in need.

What happens to donated milk?

Your valuable donation of breast milk will be used to make human milk formulations that are sold to hospitals for use in the feeding of very small babies in neonatal intensive care units across the United States.

How do I donate?

HELPINGHANDS is a virtual milk bank, allowing a qualified donor to make her donation from the comfort of her own home. Once you become an eligible candidate for donation, HELPINGHANDS will supply pre-qualification testing materials consisting of a blood test to screen for various viruses and a DNA fingerprint to match incoming milk. HELPINGHANDS will also provide breast milk storage containers and shipping supplies, all at no charge to the qualified donor.

Find out more about how to become a donor

Will I have enough milk for my baby if I donate?

The milk bank only wants excess milk. Make sure that your own baby's needs are met before donating milk. That said, your body makes milk on a supply and demand basis and adjusts to the amount of milk needed.

About the HELPINGHANDS Milk Bank    

The HELPINGHANDS Milk Bank collects excess breast milk to help save babies' lives. Breast milk has been proven far more beneficial than formula or cow's milk. However, not all mothers are able to produce or supply breast milk for their very low birth weight infants.

Your valuable donation of breast milk will be used to make human milk formulations that are sold to hospitals for use in the feeding of very small babies in neonatal intensive care units across the United States.  

Support Susan G. Komen for the Cure    

In collaboration with Prolacta Bioscience®, for every ounce of donated qualified milk collected by HELPINGHANDS Milk Bank, $1 will be contributed to Susan G. Komen for the Cure, in support of breast cancer research, with a guaranteed minimum annual contribution of $25,000.

http://www.helpinghandsbank.com/

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortiekid
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:37 PM

thats cool..but i was unable to brestfeed my daughter because i couldnt produce milk... but ill bump for you

crossermom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Quoting shortiekid:

thats cool..but i was unable to brestfeed my daughter because i couldnt produce milk... but ill bump for you

Thanks hun! I was only able to nurse 1 of my 3 but if and when we do get that BFP again this is something that we'll definitely consider!

candcsmom2008
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I bearly fed mine, kudos to one that have extra milk.

crossermom
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 10:41 PM
With all of the new bfps i had to bump this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovebugbaby
by on Apr. 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

That's definitely something to think about! if I find myself with extra milk, I will GLADLY try and become a donor. DD was in the NICU, so that kind of hits home.

candcsmom2008
by on Apr. 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Def needs to be bumped every so often.

corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Wow, I never knew this type of thing existed.  Unfortunately, with my son I barely made enough milk for him :/.   Hopefully with a proper lactation consultant, things will be much different iwth this baby!

RaeMcLean6
by on Apr. 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I usually produce enough to feed a small army and my kids are fatties which is why but once they get into the first foods stage i would be more than willing to do this and continue to pump to keep upon supply and demand! Thank you!!! if my SIL could restimulate her breasts i am sure she would be willing to do this she also produces a large quanity!

biancalina20
by Bianca on Apr. 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM
That's nice. I would do it but my dd is 3 and not breastfeeding any longer (its been a year). But if this is still going on (I bet) when I have another child, I'd deff help :o)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VLY
by on Apr. 9, 2011 at 8:19 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)