Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A family question

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:10 PM
  • 11 Replies

So I wasn't sure how my family would take DH and I TTC so I was really hesitant to say anything. DH however posted something on facebook along the lines of how my cravings were already driving him nuts, so my mom called to see what was up. That's pregnancy ended in a mc however. 

My mom called almost everyday with tips about what to do :) and it was hard for me to tell her about the mc, she made me laugh though by saying something very unexpected, "Well 9 months was going to be a rush to save up for a plane ticket plus money to spoil the baby, keep trying I love you." 

That was not what I was expecting, I thought she'd say something about how DH and I were too young for a child anyway, and how college would be harder etc etc. 

Were/are you afraid to tell your family? If you did, did their response surprise you?

PAW to Derek 

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brandiaubrey
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:12 PM
I am glad that it was a positive response. My side of the family is great. DHs is not. We have decided not to share anything with them and they will be the last to know when we do get pregnant. I should have expected it from his mom though, she ruined the experience when I was in labor and after DD was born. She is just a mean person!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
73angel
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:13 PM

No everyone knows. We have been ttc #2 for so long no one cares anymore.

truelyred2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I am almost 40 with 3 kids (older from ex) and was terrified to tell my mom we were pg last year. That also ended in m/c. She was really har don me when I had my other 3 and I thought I'd hear crap but she was really supportive.

motherof3in2007
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM
When i told my family we are trying again they were okay with it. Im only 29 and have 3 kids oldest one being 13. I've had ALOT happen in the last year but i've finally found and married the best man God could ever send me. I was expecting my parents to say no you should stop but all my mother said was you will conceive in the year 2011. That was all I needed to hear.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cynthia86
by Cynthia on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM

My family knows that DH and I want to start our own little family but they do not know that we have bee struggling with infertility for over 3 years. We are now seeing a doctor and about to do our second IUI. At times it is hard having to keep this to ourselves but at the same time I don't think I could stand the constant questions from family wanting to know if I am pregnant yet.

jblessing
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM

well, before we were even engaged, we found out that we were preggo, it was hard telling my dad that I was PG and gonna get married, my mom however LOVED the idea..my rents are divorced, my Dad was a little upset at first, but then became very supportive....when my son was born and my dad held him for the first time in the delivery room, the only thing he could say was "This is the best baby EVER!"

motherof3in2007
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:19 PM
My husbands family on the otherhand, they were ticked like no other. They told him he's too old (42) to have anymore kids and he couldn't afford taking care of 7 people
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JsunkissedB
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:20 PM

i have gotten positive responses on the first , the other NOPE, i was scared to death to tell my parents . even friends were rude !! i get you cant have any more ! stop having babys . which we can afford them , i stay at home, and we want a big family so why not !!

well i was 21 and my dh was 22 the first babys on my side (i had twins) and they were excited ...then 9 months later hubby and i decided to TTC again. My mom was soo angry and lectured me everyday !!!  soooo i had 16 month twins and a newborn. my parents were not happy !!!!

when the baby turned 9 months We TTC again not telling my parents. so i had 2.5 year old twins, 20 month old and a newborn . After about 12 weeks i kind of did a drive by . we were at my aunts house and as both of us were leaving i poked my head in there car and said "im pregnant" and ran lol really did i do that lol yup !

anyways now were TTC # 4 (4th in 3 years) and they kind of expected it this time and i actually didnt get a HUGE lecture about how my body needs to heal .... iv had 3 c sections in 4 years, and how teenagers are expensive and how i should be a business women like my mother and yada yada all not bad things but just not what we want.

carterj1220
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:13 AM

We already have a 2 year old and a little boy in Heaven...its been a year and a half since we lost our little boy, so I know they know its going to happen, but I have not told them we are ttc. Just because my side of the family is very judgemental and they always worry about money.

handsNOTfull
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM

in the past my husbands family was nothing but negative, my first 2 are 13 months apart, and his family said, "you do know there are ways to prevent that!" THEY WERE PLANNED!!! 2 yrs later we had our 3rd... and they talked abunch of crap then too! Now... they respect us for how hard we have both worked and how amazing our kids are! ... so they might be negative now, but one day that might change!!

even though everyones amazed at our life and kids... im still nervous to tell them when i find out im pregnant again!! Eek! i think im going to wait a lil while (or until i start to show!)

good luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)