Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We decided it's time to take the next step...testing. What can I expect?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:52 PM
  • 13 Replies

Quick back story: I was on BC for 10 years. Went off in March 2009 started "trying" in September 2009 and have been "trying" on/off since with approx 15 cycles of actual "trying". I had some blood tests done for progesterone, thyroid and prolactin...all came back normal. The doc said we will wait a few more months and if not pregnant will go to the next step which is testing sperm. I called the doc yesterday and am waiting to hear back from her. What happens now? Does my Gyno order the sperm testing or do we have to seek out another doc? What tests will DH have to get besdies testing sperm? What happens if sperm test come back  abnormal...is there a pill that men can take? Or is IUI or IVF our only option to have a bio child? If he's fine then what test will they have me take next?

I do not feel good about it this at all. It's very frustrating for me that something that should be so simple is now so complicated. I have waited to start further testing because I just didn't want accept that something could be wrong. I don't want getting pregnant to be a stressful time I just wanted to have fun trying and BOOM end up pregnant. When I called the doc and told the nurse the situation she took my info and said she would have the doc get back to me and I started crying before the call ended because all of the sudden it became real to me that we are an infertile couple. I really don't know how I will deal with the next few months and all of the tests, and news that is to come. 

by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ms_jasmine
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:42 PM
I don't have any answers for you :'( but I will be praying for you.have y'all tried clomid yet???GL&lots of baby dust!
trewlove
by on May. 22, 2011 at 2:27 AM
Every clinic/doctor does it slightly different. We were immediately referred to a RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist), and that clinic specializes in infertility specifically. I did cycle day 3 testing and progesterone test and DH did sperm tests all at the same time. Our infertility is unexplained so they started us on a general course of starting simple (clomid), and seeing what happens, going from there. No, there are no other tests or procedures for DH other than sperm sample. They may have you do an HSG, which I did and thought was fairly pain-free (take ibuprofen before and after).

IUI is not usually a first course treatment but it depends on your DH's test. They will look at his count, morphology, liquifaction, and % of rapid and normal swim rate.

What they do will also depend a lot on whether it is through your gyn or an RE, and what your insurance will cover.

Just take it one step at a time. It is all kinda outlandish feeling so try to find ways to laugh about it and let it bring you closer together.
corrinacs
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Hey,

It all depends on what ht reason is why you aren't getting pregnant!  Just have him to the SA to see what that says.  If its good, then its probably something really simple causing problems.  If its severe enough, you may be referred to an RE for further testing and medications.  

I remember being in your place twice.  Its a tough road.  I see people around me who get pregnant like the drop of a hat! Not so with me....I'm in my 20's and I can't get pregnant the ole normal way.  Talk about feeling totally broken :/.

With me, there wasn't anything overtly wrong with me, and my husband only had slighty lowered motility.  My doctor first suggested Clomid.  When that didn't work alone, she added a tirgger shot.  When that didn't work either, she then added IUI.  Unfortunately, that didn't work either, but we got pregnant our break cycle when we were getting ready to start IUI with injectibles :)

Hang in there and I really hope you get your BFP soon!

Monicahays17
by Member on May. 22, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Thank you ladies...hopefully I will hear back from the doc on Monday so I can find out when DH can go get tested.

truelyred2
by on May. 22, 2011 at 7:43 PM

My ob is great. She started the basics for us. She did the sa and hsg to start with. Found a minor prostate infection for him, gave anti biotics and found I have a blocked tube. She was going to put us on Clomid that next cycle, but we got a bfp. Mc in Dec due to ovulating poor quality eggs. After the mc, we started clomid in Feb, 50mg, took 2 months, increased to 100mg next 2 months and in April ob finally referred me out to a fertility doc, mostly due to my age (will be 40 in less than 3 weeks). The feriltiy doc figured out that he thinks I only ovulate on the unblocked side 3 times a year and this was our issue. We got bfp this cycle.

I would expect to have the blood work reran to check. Also I'd think they would check progesterone for ovulation more than once. Many get tested for that every month. The I'd expect clomid

MargotRanae
by on May. 22, 2011 at 9:51 PM
I'd go to an rei. Have your blood run more than once, especially progesterone. Lastly, if you've been trying for 15 cycles, waiting for simple tests like sperm analysis seems unproductive. Don't be afraid to get answers; empower yourself with knowledge.

I had the full range of tests and did dh. I wasn't thrilled with the results but have a direction. I find myself much more relaxed ttc now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monicahays17
by Member on May. 25, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Quoting truelyred2:

My ob is great. She started the basics for us. She did the sa and hsg to start with. Found a minor prostate infection for him, gave anti biotics and found I have a blocked tube. She was going to put us on Clomid that next cycle, but we got a bfp. Mc in Dec due to ovulating poor quality eggs. After the mc, we started clomid in Feb, 50mg, took 2 months, increased to 100mg next 2 months and in April ob finally referred me out to a fertility doc, mostly due to my age (will be 40 in less than 3 weeks). The feriltiy doc figured out that he thinks I only ovulate on the unblocked side 3 times a year and this was our issue. We got bfp this cycle.

I would expect to have the blood work reran to check. Also I'd think they would check progesterone for ovulation more than once. Many get tested for that every month. The I'd expect clomid

I would be ok with taking Clomid...it's the other things that I am not thrilled about. IUI and IVF are expensive and my insurance doesn't cover any fertility treatments. I am praying that Clomid will work!

Monicahays17
by Member on May. 25, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Thank you for the well wishes! SA will be the 2nd week in June (due to DH's work schedule) and HSG sometime between June 20th - 25th (depending on when AF shows).

k-b-run
by on May. 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM

I just had the HSG via laparoscopy. It is more invasive and you have to be put under, but it is the better of the tests. He was able to see everything and have a good understanding of my body. Also I had a tube slightly blocked that he was able to clear because we went for this test rather than just getting it done by x ray. Good luck!

Monicahays17
by Member on May. 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Quoting k-b-run:

I just had the HSG via laparoscopy. It is more invasive and you have to be put under, but it is the better of the tests. He was able to see everything and have a good understanding of my body. Also I had a tube slightly blocked that he was able to clear because we went for this test rather than just getting it done by x ray. Good luck!

Wow...I haven't heard of HSG being done that way. I really hope that by unblocking your tube you end up getting your BFP on your next cycle!! Keep me posted :) Good luck to you too!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)