Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT- How Did you Lose So Much Weight? My story (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi ladies! I wanted to post my story about my weight loss.  Many of you have asked how I've lost my weight because of my weight loss pics.  Soooo... here's my story:

I have ALWAYS been a big girl.  I weight 180lbs by the time I was 8 years old.

I was a pretty "normal" weight until the age of 6 and then I started packing on the lbs.  I was adopted so my adoptive parents could not figure out what was wrong with me.  I had numerous blood tests done in which all came back "normal" no thyroid issues...etc, however the weight kept packing and packing on.  I was 200lbs on my 10th birthday.  I felt trapped in my body all of my life.  Food became my only comfort.  In elementary school I was made fun of all of the time and can remember sitting alone at the lunch room table often and having no friends. 

I remember getting up to 330lbs my junior year of high school ( I was 16) and seeing myself in photos of a play I was in being MORTIFIED.

Between my Junior and Senior years of high school I lost nearly 75lbs by being on the Atkins low carb diet, which during my senior year started to spiral into another form of eating disorder.  I became bulimic, started eating only pickles for meals and running everyday.  The thinnest I weight in high school was 260lbs.

Then life happened.  I became very depressed in my freshman year of college and the pounds started packing on.  I shot back up to 330lbs again.  In March or 2007 I found my birth father who lived in Tx.  He talked me into moving to TX to get to know him, and I did.  He and is new wife were not at all as nice as they portrayed themselves to be and after a year of living with them left me stranded in Texas.  The second abandonment of my birthfather made me very depressed again.  I gained more weight.  Then, in April, 2008 my sister Jennifer died of a massive heart attack caused by a lifetime of morbid obesity.  She was only 29.  She weighed around 400lbs when she died.  At the time I weighed 360lbs.  I became very determined to lose weight to live on my sister's legacy and help others.  Eventually, I don't really know what happened.  I met my husband and just gave up.  By July of 2009 I weighed 400lbs. I was only 22. I was desperate, I would go to the gym, but my eating habits were horrible.  I was addicted to food.  I auditioned for Biggest Loser even :)  By January 2010, I decided ENOUGH was ENOUGH.  I started looking into Gastric Bypass surgery.  I was 430lbs.

This is the first meeting with my surgeon in Feb, 2010:

I was absolutely blessed with my surgery.  I was approved for full coverage from my insurance and had full Roux-en-y  gastric bypass surgery  on 3/15/10. 

My weight started coming off very very fast. I lost around 100lbs after 4 months.

I was able to move much easier and could exercise much better/more efficient.

By about 7 months post op my weight loss started to slow down and I was able to eat more.  I realized this would be a knock down drag out fight to a healthy weight.  I hired a personal trainer and started attending Zumba class 4 times a week.  I noticed my body losing and toning up.  I still struggle with my eating, horribly.  It's an everyday fight, and everyday process. Today, I weight 260lbs.  I still have 100lbs to lose to reach my goal weight.  Anything worth having, is worth fighting for.

Some people may criticize me for having Gastric Bypass Surgery... calling it the "easy way out."   At 430lbs... I HAD to have a way out or I could have died young like my sister.  I do not think surgery is for everyone.  For me it was my saving grace.  The tool that helped me.  My Surgery pointed me towards the finish line, but I have to run/finish this race. 

I want to get to goal and become a personal trainer/Zumba instructor to help others fight obesity. 

Thank you for all of your kind comments and support.  Any questions?  I am an open book.

Common Question:

What about loose skin?:

I do have loose skin.  Especially in my arms ( I have bingo wings)

BOOBS> :( ( I went from a 52 DDD to a 38 D)

Legs, and stomach.

Also, I have video blogged my journey on youtube:

Trying to concieve after 2 years and 170lbs lost!

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Wow that is a story! That is awesome that you've lost so much weight! I have the opposite problem and I hate it soooo much!But that amazing though,keep up the good work :) Good luck and lots of baby dust to you hope you get you BFP soon :)

by Bianca on May. 21, 2011 at 11:21 PM
Wow, that is AMAZING!!!!! You are AMAZING! Congrats on this!!!!! You go girl and never give up! You are so beautiful! Keep it up and I hope you have your BFP soon! Congrats on this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Congrats to you very much hon! Very proud of you! Thank you for sharing your story. It definatly takes alot to open up about our life and struggles. I am a compulsive over eater and it took me till Feb 2010 to realize I needed something more than diets, pills, etc..In Feb I made a vow to heal myself in as many ways as possible and take care of myself as in many ways as possible. One of those ways was joining over eaters anymous. Being I am a very spiritual person this intrigued me and has helped me immensly. In it we focus not on weight loss, but on steps and spiritual, emotional, and physical of it all. I have lost 100 pounds and have been abstinent from compulsive over eating since FEB of 2010. I have maintened my 100 pound weight loss since NOV OF 2010. I went from 265 to 165 and the way I feel in my brain, heart, soul now feels way better than the numbers on any scale the size on any jeans. For me I have realized my compulsive over eating comes from alot of wanting to make me feel safe, taken care of, secure, make the pain go away, and to have control over something. when I was 6 my mom was put in a mental instituion because she had schrizophrenia and my dad took custody well my dad was a bar owner and always out never home. I was a true latch key kid and took care of myself or my brothers did who where teenagers so you can imagine that got crazy. My dad when he wasnt working was off with other woman so I felt very deprived of love from my father and thoguht other females where better than me. My dad has been married 10 tiems and I have only known my mother of course and one other wife. I was also abused sexually as a child by 2 family members and alot of the compulsive overeating came from that as well. When I did spend time with other family my moms side is ITalian so it was always eat, eat eat and they felt that was showing love. When it fact it was helping to kill me, make me feel less confident, etc.. I also feel I didnt have voice couldnt say no to adults had to accept the food and be polite whn ethat is not the case. There is so much more wy I eat emotionaly but I can probably write a book. For me I am very thankful for OA and thankful that I finally started healing myself. if anyone wants to chat feel free to pm email me hope it was fine posting it and what you have accomplished is definatly amazing sweetie and something to be proud of.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM

WOW!!! What a great and inspiring story... you look fantastic! I hope to continue my weight loss journey like you (after I deliver) but since I had my son, I have struggled with being between 230-250 for the past 2 years. I wish I could see the numbers on the scale start with a 1!!! You've definitely inspired me :o)

by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:54 PM
You look wonderful!! Keep going and don't stop until you meet your goal! I love how you took charge of YOUR life! You ROCK!!!!
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM
Wow that is awesome girl & you look great!!! You should feel so proud! Keep it up girl!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2011 at 12:03 AM
You are an amazing women!

Quoting Ttcbabyclegg:

You look wonderful!! Keep going and don't stop until you meet your goal! I love how you took charge of YOUR life! You ROCK!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Thank you for your story it means so much and brought me to tears. I am 226 and my heaviest was 240. I have always been on the full figured side but my weight started out of control when I started having my kids. My eating is from emotional eating. I have been going to the gym for months now, I would lose then gain it back. I am pregnant again and it will be my 6th c section and I really want to loose weight healthy during my pregnancy. I am under a doctors care, but I am still lost on what to eat. I just want to feel good about me. Going to be a mom of 6, my kids need a healthy mom, I struggle daily. reading your story gives me new hope. My husband is a great support to me and loves me know matter what. I know where my emotional eating comes from.... it was the environment I grew up in with parents that only cared about their drugs and the abuse physical and emotional. I need to get pass that and really not knowing how. Thank you again!!

by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:04 AM

You know, it's kind of funny but I was just reading a cafemom "questions" post on this. "Is obesity a disease?" I was honestly quite floored by some of the responses. The remarks ranged from "it's just the fattys not wanting to put down the candy bar to get off the couch" to "obesity is a disease just like heart disease and mental illness."  Personally, I don't feel that obesity itself is a disease.... but the underlying causes are. Many say that obesity is hereditary.... I feel that it's hereditary only to the point that we've learned our eating habits and lifestyles from our parents and we continue to pass that down to our children.

I have struggled with my weight my entire life. I am probably at my heaviest ever right now... about 240. For me, I know how to eat and live a healthy lifestyle...... the problem is putting it into practice. I have been dealing with severe depression for most of adult/late teen life. I've lost a significant amount of weight (50+ lbs) on several occasions.... but then life gets in the way. I was down to around 170 when I had my tubal reversal surgery (this is a good weight for me) but due to depression/ hormones/preg loss I have managed to eat myself to where I am today. I too use food as a drug. Whether it be a coping mechanism or just a means of feeling comfort... I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror.

Thank you so much for posting.... and for having the guts to do what you knew was best for yourself!!!

by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM
Wow thank you for sharing your stories, ladies!! You're all inspirations!! I hope each of you reaches your weight loss goals and gets your BFP very soon!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)