Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How I got pregnant... Any Ideas?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:25 PM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter keeps asking me how I got pregnant! She is 5 years old and shes very excited just very curious. Shes not letting this question go until she gets an answer. I dont really know what to say. She doesnt seem to believe the lies weve given her so far haha. Do you have any ideas?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
knitbit
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:55 PM
Honestly, I'd just tell her a simplified version of the truth. My mom told me at 4 when she was pregnant with my brother. I don't remember it, but I really don't see any harm with the truth. We have "A Child is Born" and various pregnancy books that my 5 year old flips through. You could use a book like that to help you explain the science.
prettypinkbump
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM

You can tell her that the heavens planeted a little bufferfly seed into mommy's belly while you were sleeping almost like the tooth fairy.  Hope that helps :)  <3

JordonMichelle
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:22 PM
Tell her the truth in an age appropriate manner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:24 PM

My mother told me that "when two people love each other in a special way" that sometimes that make a baby in the mommy's belly.  That is also what we told our (then) 3 and 5 year old when we were pregnant with our last.  We then fielded any questions.  Short, truthful answers seemed to handle their curiosity.

MichelleLopez04
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Thank you all so much!! I appreciate you help =)

valeryarbelo
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:48 PM
Why would you lie to her? Its a very valid question and should be answered or someone will answer it for you. Tell her in an she appropriate way the truth. There is nothing wrong with that and there should be no shame in that. Good luck.
corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I agree with knitbit.  Did you know I started getting "family ed' classes in school at 5th grade?

I would just tell her a simplified version of the truth.  She's going to hear about it some way or anther, and I'd rather it come from you :)

candcsmom2008
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Mom and dad kissed and god planted a seed. Seeds grow and a Baby is born.

sissy4444
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM

LOL my dd is the same way!  today I was watching labor videos online and didnt hear her sneak up behind me, and she watched one for awhile until the head came out, and said, "THATS how the baby gets here!  Why couldnt you just tell me that!?" (Shes 6 1/2).  After that the other questions came...I told her the basics of it, since apparently the video didnt scare her, but not the details.  Just the whole when a man loves a woman sometimes they make a baby thing...seemed to satisfiy her for now.

JMmama
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I agree. I know it can feel awkward to talk to kids about sex, but I think more harm than good comes from lieing to them about biological fact. There are some great books out there for kids that can help you get started.

Quoting valeryarbelo:

Why would you lie to her? Its a very valid question and should be answered or someone will answer it for you. Tell her in an she appropriate way the truth. There is nothing wrong with that and there should be no shame in that. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)