• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why are my periods so heavy?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:13 PM
  • 8 Replies

So my periods finally went back to it's normal heavy flow.The last 2 months I didn't have any cramps,sore boobs and a light flow.But now its back to normal.Got cramps,sore boobs,and heavy flow with clots :/ My question is is there something wrong with me why I bleed alot,I mean its alot cause I have alot of clots where I won't bleed but then when I cough,sneeze,stand up or pee it gushes out.Is that normal? Why does i happen?Can it have an effect on my fertility?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Love_My_Leah
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Mine has always been that way too. I don't *think* it has affected my fertility... We have a daughter but I've had two miscarriages after her. I guess you could ask your doc??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellaambru90
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Ya if I don't conceive this month I'm going to go back to my obgyn next month.

dhiannian
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I'm guessing because you actually ovulated this month. The other months you didn't it wasn't a complete shedding, just breakthrough bleeding. Now you should have a nice fresh lining for eggie to implant in:)

ohmybaby
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:38 PM

If a heavy flow is "normal" for you it could be normal but it also might not be. 

My periods were irregular when I was younger but eventually they evened out.  At that point they became "light periods."  I basically had one regular flow day which was light and two days of spotting.  Not bad as far as I was concerned.  But as I got older my periods started to change.  The first day became extremely heavy.  It got to the point where I was having "accidents" even though I had just "changed"....  it was just like the gushing you described.  When I wanted to conceive again as an older mom  I had already had my tubes tied but I remarried and my new husband and I wanted to have a child together.  We needed a fertility Dr.  and he order a test (vaginal ultrasound) to make sure I was healthy.  I didn't know why he needed the test but I found out soon when he discovered I had a uterine fibroid.  Lots of women have them and don't know.   It explained the heavy bleeding and the lower back pain I was having each month.  The fibroid was removed so I would have a better chance to get pg.  I was told the fibroid had been growing for a long time.  It was bigger than the Dr had measured and it took 2 surgeries to remove it.  Once it was gone though, my periods went back to the 3 days of light bleeding.  Yeah!  Oh and we got pg with twins later.... but that's another story.

If I were you I'd see a Dr... just in case.  Good luck.

wife2jeff
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:41 PM

I just got done with a horrific period.  I thought I was miscarrying again.  I was soaking through a tampon, pad and my clothes in 2 hours or less.  I was soooo scared.  I also had clots the size of quarters and smaller.  I kept calling my doctor and they kept insisting it was just a heavy period, becuase I never got a positive pregnancy test....  It just stopped it was two days of spotting, and 4 days hellatious bleeding and one day of very light spotting today.  Hang in there sweetie!  I know its not fun.

Devious103102
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:48 PM

My periods are the same way (well, have been since taking out the IUD and were before getting it put in) and it never caused any issues with my fertility.

darejenn05
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:09 AM

hmm i started my period for the first time at 12 and they were ok but as 14 and 15 came around i used to so a 22 pack of overnighter pads in 3 days. the clots i had were bout as big as the palm of my hand, and i too had the accidents and coughed with a gush and it was the kind you had to go change your pad if not your pants....depends on the person though hun, if thats normal to you then i wouldnt worry. but just to be safe you should see a gyno about it cause when mine were like that (and they were up till i did 1 year of bc) i was verry anemic due to blood loss. it wouldnt hurt to get it checked

truelyred2
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:36 AM
You had very high progesterone. This could have caused a thicket than normal uterine lining which would make af harder
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)