Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Miracle baby born after mothers water breaks at just 16 WEEKS!!! Must read!!

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:38 PM
  • 11 Replies

This story brought tears to my eyes!! I just had to share!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2023442/Miracle-baby-born-mothers-waters-break-half-way-pregnancy--refuses-abortion.html

by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamaof2010
by Member on Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM
Can u make it clickable
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
airforewifenmom
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mikayla_lynn
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I will try

lovinmy1babyboy
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Quoting Mamaof2010:

Can u make it clickable

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mikayla_lynn
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:50 PM

A mother whose waters broke when she was just 16 weeks pregnant has today revealed how her baby miraculously survived after the membranes around her baby resealed and filled back up with fluid.

Tiny Charlie was given just a one per cent chance of surviving. But his mother Laura Hill, 20, received her best ever present after he battled through and was born on her birthday this March.

Laura and her partner Richard Folkard, 22, were advised by medics to abort their unborn child back in October but refused.

Thrilled: Laura Hill's son Charlie was born on her own birthday. He had been given a one per cent chance of survival

Thrilled: Laura Hill's son Charlie was born on her own birthday. He had been given a one per cent chance of survival

Miss Hill, from Norwich, said: 'The first time I held Charlie I was crying so much because I was so full of happiness.

'All I kept saying to him was that mummy did not think we would get to this stage.'

Laura, who lives with Richard, their daughter Tillie, two, and Charlie, was 16 weeks and four days pregnant in October when she woke up to find herself soaked in water.

She rushed to Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and was told she had a preterm premature rupture of membranes.

Miss Hill said: 'They did a scan and found all of my waters had gone and advised me to have an abortion.

'I was told I was likely to go into labour within two weeks and that the baby had only a one per cent chance of survival and if he did survive there would be a chance of brain damage or lung deformities.

'But I said one per cent is still a chance he could live and I did not want to give up on my baby.'

Laura had scans and blood tests twice a week to monitor her baby's condition.

Happy family: Charlie is enchanted with his big sister Tillie

Happy family: Charlie is enchanted with his big sister Tillie

At 21 weeks she was told the membranes around her baby incredibly appeared to have re-sealed and there was now some water surrounding him.

Just a few weeks earlier she had been planning Charlie's funeral because the family had been advised to prepare themselves in case he died.

'I had a blanket for him, I had written a poem and my sister had found a teddy bear for him. I had a picture of Richard, Tillie and I to put with him,' Laura said.

On her final scan she was reassured that her beloved baby boy was fine.

'I had my last scan on February 3 when I was 35 weeks and four days pregnant and the doctor told me everything was absolutely perfect.

'He said I had been very, very lucky and that I had a little miracle baby,' Miss Hill said.

She was 39 weeks pregnant when her waters broke again on February 28 and Charlie was born the next morning weighing 7lb 3oz.

'He cried but it was a weak cry so I started panicking, but then the midwife told me, "he's perfectly normal - he's your little miracle",' said Laura.

During Preterm Premature Rupture of the Membrane the amniotic sac breaks and the baby loses the protection of the amniotic fluid and barriers against infection

Preterm Premature Rupture of the Membrane: In this condition the mother's amniotic sac breaks and the protective amniotic fluid drains away leaving the baby vulnerable to infection

Richard said: 'When Charlie was born it was the happiest day of my life along with when Tillie was born.'

Five months on Charlie is a bubbly little boy who loves to smile and babble.

'Charlie loves all his family,' said Laura.

'He loves Tillie so much - he is always staring at her and trying to get her attention - and she adores him.

'Charlie is just perfect in every single way and he is a miracle to everyone who knows what he went through.'

Miss Hill said she hoped his heartwarming story would give new hope to other parents facing tough decisions about their unborn babies.

'If I had not believed in Charlie, I would have given up and he would not be here today'

She said: 'Doctors do a great job but they can only advise you based on what they know and they do not always have the answers.

'If I had not believed in Charlie I would have given up and he would not be here today.'

Miss Hill was tread by consultant obstetrician Alastair McKelvey.

He said the prognosis at 16 weeks was very bleak.

He said: 'Our experience is sadly that almost always women go on to lose the pregnancy if the membranes protecting the baby break at this very early stage of pregnancy.

'The limited data we have available indicates a very poor prognosis in this situation and we were frank with the couple about the realities.

'But by 22 weeks things were looking up. Water was starting to gather around the baby. By 25 weeks the water around the baby looked normal.

'We concluded that the hole in the membranes had sealed over.

'Unfortunately most women in this situation go on to suffer a miscarriage. So sadly I would have to be realistic in future when I talk to mums in a similar situation.

'But this remains a wonderful story and I admire the faith and optimism which Laura and her partner showed in going through this very difficult time.'

Laura said: 'I just want everyone to know Charlie's story - it is a miracle story because Charlie beat all the odds.

'I am just totally amazed by him and how he fought.'

Mamasomedaysoon
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:59 PM
Pretty amazing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlecheifsmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2011 at 3:06 PM

wow! what a true miracle!

livingdeadmom
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 4:26 PM

it happens mroe often than people know. with my last baby, my water broke at 24 weeks and i was in active labor. i was scared because the pregnancy before that i lost at 16 weeks. they stopped my labor and i started to have fluid again and everything healed up though i was on bedrest for the remainder of the pregnancy. while i was in the hospital, there were 2 other women with the same issue. 

it is truely amazing what our bodies can do :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)