Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i explain this to my son

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:02 PM
  • 7 Replies

he is 9 yrs old and asking questions about the birds and the bee's

there dreaded day has come where i must sit down and talk to him

but i have no clue where to start

anyone got any clues to how i can go about this

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kiddo0820
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM

????

just-one-more
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Quoting kiddo0820:

????

sorry have it up now

LemonZest
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Let him ask the questions.  At 9, the info he's after is probably a lot more simple than what you're bracing yourself to explain.  My stepdaughter asked a lot of birds-bees type questions when she was 9/10, but she was more concerned about adolescence and the the talks being given at school than actually about sex.  She wanted basic facts, no details. lol

just-one-more
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Quoting LemonZest:

Let him ask the questions.  At 9, the info he's after is probably a lot more simple than what you're bracing yourself to explain.  My stepdaughter asked a lot of birds-bees type questions when she was 9/10, but she was more concerned about adolescence and the the talks being given at school than actually about sex.  She wanted basic facts, no details. lol

oh i understand at 9 they're probably not able to retain it all anyway , but i think i need to explain a little more than that, as it is the boys in school and on the road are talk about these things in a very disrespectful manner and i want my son to grow up wit values respect and manners on tis matter

kiddo0820
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I would just be honest with him but keep it at an age appropriate level. I was around 9 or 10 when my mom had "the talk" with me. from what I remember she told me that, a man has a penis and a woman has a vagina and that the man's penis goes into the vagina, she also made sure to tell me it's something you do when you are older (it's up to you if you tell him to wait until he's married) and that it's made for a husband and wife (or boyfriend and girlfriend, again up to you) to express their love for each other and to make babies.

Hope that helped

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

LemonZest
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM

My stepdaughter already knew the mechanics of sex.  Your son probably already does, too.  I think it's more the whys and "should I worry about this?" aspects that drive the questions.  I explained to SD that sex is a gift for husbands and wives to enjoy each other and create families, but like all things designed for good, there are people who misuse it.  From her perspective, sex was nasty and disgusting because that's how it gets presented among peers.  That's not the impression I wanted her to have.   As she's gotten older and learned about contraceptives and STDs and whatnot, the conversation has continued more along that line and the unfortunate consequences some people experience misusing sex.  She's been pretty good at leading the discussion though, asking what she wants to know, and sharing what she's heard, her concerns, etc. 

I've never raised a 9yo boy (yet), so that may be entirely different territory.  I did have to sit down with my much younger stepson and have a heart-to-heart about penis jokes and discussions of "bad parts".  That conversation centered on instruction that there are no "bad" parts, that we have private and special parts that we value too highly to show to strangers or talk negatively about.  Some part of that registered with him b/c the obsession over "bad parts" promptly stopped.

truelyred2
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I started talking to my dd when she was about 8. I went into as much detail as I thought that she could handle. I even went so far as to draw diagrams, lol. Using correct anatomical names and medical terms is best. The younger they are the easier it is for them to open up and ask questions without being embarassed or coming in with misinformation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)