• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Much Should You Have In Savings?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:33 PM
  • 18 Replies

What is a good amount to have in savings before TTC? Our twins weren't planned so we had a really hard time financially so i'm wondering what is a good amount to have saved up before you start trying?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I say a nice safety net of 10,000 untouched money

kdtmartin
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:36 PM

i think that is your Business, so whatever you feel is right for you and your family

bellaambru90
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Youd should always have 5000 saved up in case something happens. But I would say more like 10000. Good luck!

Writer.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:54 PM

thanks ladies! :)

toopicky429
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:54 PM
This totally. Every family's needs are different.

Quoting kdtmartin:

i think that is your Business, so whatever you feel is right for you and your family

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leandrat
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM
0-whatever money don't make happy babies I was single and working going to college and had NO savings and lived paycheck to paycheck and I and ds were very comfy you don't need a savings account at all PERIOD
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spastic_poodle
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Quoting Stevensmomma:

I say a nice safety net of 10,000 untouched money

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmy1babyboy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM
We had not a penny saved, DS was a shock, I had DH's friend do my 1st couple of Ultrasounds, my 1st Dr visit was at the health department, I hated my Dr. so I stopped going to anyone until I was in my almost 8th month, my parents loaned us the $, for a private Dr, thanks to my parents, friends, and inlaws, I had everything I needed until my son was like 6 months old. Next baby I hope to have atleast $5,000 saved, and double that for twins..Depending on your insurance, you'll need your copays and deductibles + hospitalization. Baby showers usually supply you with clothes, diapers, bottles..ect..dont forget insurance for baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM

I think that's a personal choice but we've made it just fine with all our kids without having savings.  Now we do but that had nothing to do with our choice to TTC now.   As long as the rest of your finances are in order I don't see an issue behind it.

HisB0107
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:36 PM

At least three months worth of bills, groceries and non-food essentials. That's what I've always been told at least.

It's not a specific amount of money...it's enough so that if you can't wait work..and your SO can't work for a few months... you'll be alright. But that's not "TTC savings" that's just savings in general.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in an attractive and preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways......chocolate in one hand, wine in the other; body used up, totally worn out ....and screaming: "Woo Hoo, What A Ride!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)