Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC while nursing?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:53 PM
  • 17 Replies

Has anyone tried to conceive while nursing? Were you successful? I know that breastfeeding slightly decreases, but does not eliminate the chances of conceiving. Any advice?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Breastfeeding does eliminate the chance if your not ovulating.

I am still breastfeeding and TTC. Breastfeeding is not supressing ovulation at this point but I am still not ovulating. So I am taking prometrium to have cycles and hopefull eventually I will ovualte. If not the Doc wants me on fertility drugs. I am holding out on that. If you check out the book taking charge of your fertility it teaches you how to read you body's signs and watch for ovulation. While learning how to read my body for fertility signs while TTC my daughter and still BF my son I noticed when he was around 12 mns that I was ovulating. At that point I had never had a cycle. We bedded and I tested at 11DPO and I concieved my daughter! It was that easy. I will know when I O this time around its just a matter of my body deciding to O LOL

slm047
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:16 PM

haha. Well I haven't had a period. I've been on the depo shot for a few months. I was due to get it again on October 23rd, but I'm not. How can I tell if I'm ovulating?

leandrat
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:30 PM
Watch that depo every girl here that was on it has not had a baby and causes miscarriages as well just heads up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Well you can watch your body for signs, Egg white CM, open, high, and soft cervix! You can get some ovulation test! There are a few different things.

Depo shot is rough on the body and it can take awhile to get your body back to normal after being on it!  So it could take awhile. Also how often are you nursing at this point?? How old is your little on??

Quoting slm047:

haha. Well I haven't had a period. I've been on the depo shot for a few months. I was due to get it again on October 23rd, but I'm not. How can I tell if I'm ovulating?

*~Mother of three~*

slm047
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I have been on the shot off and on for about 8 months. I am hoping that will not cause any problems. My sister got pregnant as soon as she went off of it, but everyones different. I mostly nurse at night and maybe once throughout the day. DD will be a year old October 5th.

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM

This goes for every shot, and insert. Pills dont seem to be as harsh..but still not healthy!! I personally couldn't take a BC just to prevent pregnancy knowing the risk to my health, my fertility, and my unborn children. Not only does it cause MC after going off it, but it can and does kill concieved baby's while the mother is on it! HORRIBLE HORRIBLE stuff!

Quoting leandrat:

Watch that depo every girl here that was on it has not had a baby and causes miscarriages as well just heads up

FYI LOL I am glad I am not the only one saying this around here LOL I think so many have no idea how bad this stuff is.

*~Mother of three~*

slm047
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I went on the depo awhile after I had my second child. I never wanted to be on birth control, especially shots. That is one reason we are going off. Plus, we would really like a third child.

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Well some women (many women) by now would ovulate. But some women wont ovulate until months (up to 6 mns) after they wean. So its hard to tell. All you can really do is wait and see wait happens. There are natural supplments you can look into. I will try to find a list for you!

Quoting slm047:

I have been on the shot off and on for about 8 months. I am hoping that will not cause any problems. My sister got pregnant as soon as she went off of it, but everyones different. I mostly nurse at night and maybe once throughout the day. DD will be a year old October 5th.

*~Mother of three~*

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Many women worry that if they are breastfeeding they cannot become pregnant because lactation acts as a natural birth control method. And, while this is true to some degree, breastfeeding is not 100% effective at preventing pregnancy and there are many ways to improve your chances if you are indeed trying to conceive another child.

If you are interested in increasing your fertility while breastfeeding you will need to eliminate feeding during the night, or at least reduce them sufficiently so that there is a minimum of a six hour period in the day that you are not breastfeeding. You will also want to make breastfeeding sessions shorter to encourage fertility to return. Add solids to your baby’s diet, as much as 25 percent, and you will breastfeed less and become increasingly fertile.

The less frequently you breastfeed the more likely your menstrual period is to return. When this occurs your fertility is returning and so are your chances for getting pregnant. Remember, though, that babies should be exclusively breastfed for at least the first year of life. If you are trying to become pregnant during this time you will need to supplement these missed feedings with formula. If you are exclusively breastfeeding and want to get pregnant gradually reduce the amount of time and frequency of each breastfeeding session so your child is not negatively impacted.

After your menstrual period has returned you should check your basal body temperature and cervical mucus regularly to determine your most fertile days. Once you have determined those days you should have intercourse every day or on alternating days during your peak fertile times. This will help you improve your chances of conception while you are still breastfeeding.

Remember, it takes time to get pregnant and you may not get pregnant the first time you try. Just be patient and keep in mind that as your child reduces the amount of time spent at the breast your fertility will continue to increase as will your odds of conceiving again.

slm047
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Thanks, I would appreciate that. I'm new to this stuff. I have 2 children already. The first was planned & we got pregnant within a month of trying. Second time we just weren't preventing..that took about a year. I just don't want to get discouraged.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)